Aircraft Spotting

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneofakind

Oct 2, 2006
Hi all,

I could do with some advice here. Do y'all know where is the best place for aircraft spotting around changi airport? I would wish to take photos of aircraft landing and taking off. Is the viewing deck in Changi airport go enough to take photos?

Happy New Year to all clubsnappers!

Cheers,
daryl

there used to be 1 road near changi village that has a perfect view for what you want to do until that piece of land was acquired by the govt for other usage..

It is technically possible to take photos of aircraft taking off from the T1 viewing mall if you have at least a 400mm lens hehe. But I guess you would end up with pretty bad distortion due to the distance & the glass barrier. In the past, it is possible to get decent pictures of aircraft landing or taking off at the viewing mall, until CAAS closed off the section (where Swensens used to be) in Mar 2006. It is now an Emirates lounge which is off limits to the public.

For aircraft approaching to land you can try your luck near Expo MRT in the afternoon up till Mar/Apr, then the wind & runway direction would change so you might want to consider Changi Beach instead.

Hope it helps :)

Changi Business Park. Big open space there.
But can take airplane landing photo only.Not suitable to shoot taking-off photo as the planes will be too high up over the place.
Best time in evening due to sun light direction.
Please note that they always swap the take-off/landing direction depending on the wind direction.

there used to be 1 road near changi village that has a perfect view for what you want to do until that piece of land was acquired by the govt for other usage..

there's a temple near the road entance, m not sure the availability of teh area now but that's the nearest to get close the airplanr take off/landing...

Changi Coast Road will be the best. It is parallel to the runway. You can shoot take off and landing depending on where you are.

there's a temple near the road entance, m not sure the availability of teh area now but that's the nearest to get close the airplanr take off/landing...

the angle there is very bad... :thumbsd:

Changi Coast Road will be the best. It is parallel to the runway. You can shoot take off and landing depending on where you are.

that location is alright but i am not so sure about stopping by the side of the road and taking pictures over there.. :dunno:

thx for all the information guys! will reccee the places out when i'm free! keep the comments coming so everybody here will have a clearer idea on where to spot aircrafts k! :)

Changi Coastal has a few pit stops along the road.
Turn in and park there, not advisable to park on the main road.

That road was acquired by Changi Air Base.
That road will lead to a good spot last time..:)

This morning around 630 to 800 I was at Changi Beach near the Carpark 1 area; couldn't go to other carparks because some inconsiderate idiot block the whole path with his car.

Anyways, the area SUCKS for sunset/sunrise, fyi, but er, I reckon I saw about 4 aircrafts taking off overhead during this period.

This morning around 630 to 800 I was at Changi Beach near the Carpark 1 area; couldn't go to other carparks because some inconsiderate idiot block the whole path with his car.

Anyways, the area SUCKS for sunset/sunrise, fyi, but er, I reckon I saw about 4 aircrafts taking off overhead during this period.

If wanna capture Sunrise, will be the beach around Carpark 6 instead..
or at Changi broad walk..:nono:

U could try East Coast Park, near the SAF Yacht Club there. there s one area where u can see planes land.

If wanna capture Sunrise, will be the beach around Carpark 6 instead..
or at Changi broad walk..:nono:
I knowwwww. It's beyond.. Carpark 1 right,
Some coconut 90 degree parking to the path.. Cannot ask my driver (my dad,hahaha) to just ram right.. =(

Don't stop/park along Changi Coastal Road. The POLICE will 'shoo' you away... :)

I knowwwww. It's beyond.. Carpark 1 right,
Some coconut 90 degree parking to the path.. Cannot ask my driver (my dad,hahaha) to just ram right.. =(

I think you got it wrong..
Carpark 6 is further down to the left of the SAF Ferry Terminal..Just out side the
Cargo Complex Check Point.
Accessable via Nicoll Drive leh & not carpark 1..

I think you got it wrong..
Carpark 6 is further down to the left of the SAF Ferry Terminal..Just out side the
Cargo Complex Check Point.
Accessable via Nicoll Drive leh & not carpark 1..
Oops.

Ok, I know where SAF Ferry Terminal is.. :bsmilie:

Next time then! Thanks for the help.

There is now a new second fence erected along the airport perimeter along Changi Coastal Road presumably to increase security. Makes it even more difficult to photograph the planes.

Good spot is road towards Tanah Merah Ferry terminal. There's a path next to canal that leads towards southern beach area.

Please note that they always swap the take-off/landing direction depending on the wind direction.

Generally, they only swap directions twice a year... Of cuz on an ad-hoc basis they might swap it for a while, but that would be the exception, not the rule. Currently, aircraft are landing from the south (aka Changi Business Park best place to shoot landings)... sometime in March/April (I forgot... Damien/Tango, pls confirm), they will land from the north (shoot from Changi Beach... beach in front of Carpark 2 best)...

Please note that while aircraft spotting is not illegal, it is frown upon (somehow). So be a bit discreet. Dun spoil it all for the local spotting community by demanding your rights if approached. Esp if you are shooting along Changi Coastal Road next to the fence. Live to fight another day. :bsmilie:

For more information on aircraft spotting and special liveries visiting, go to www.ninervictor.com :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.