Air Tight Container With Thirsty Hippo

afiyy

Jul 19, 2010
I'm getting a Dry cab later stage . I don't know when but maybe later .

So for now to be safe I'm getting air tight container with thirsty hippo and put my camera inside .

Does that means I need to de-tach my lense and my body and put it inside ?

Better be safe then sorry .

Is it okay ? Or silica gel still the best ?

Do guide me still .

Thirsty hippo is less toxic if you are concerned about health issues, but it might get too dry in the box. (the ideal humidity is 40%-55%.) Why hesitate to get a dry cabinet? anything stopping you?

Last edited:
Thirsty hippo is less toxic if you are concerned about health issues, but it might get too dry in the box. (the ideal humidity is 40%-55%.) Why hesitate to get a dry cabinet? anything stopping you?

kind of budget tight because i'm still a teen studying and my parents already just sponsored me a DSLR because its a another passion for me to start with .

so for the meant time I intending to get a Dry Box first .

which is advisable Silica gel or Thirsty Hippo?

is it a must to have dehumidifier or something to put in ? and hygrometer too ?

Hi, I am a newbie too....

btw, i saw this container that cost $30+ which is suppose for keeping cameras...... you may want to take a look as it's real cheap.

The shop is on the 1st level.... just cant remember the name of the shop....

Go to a reputable camera shop. (list can be found in the sticky) A dry box with a hygrometer built in would cost around $25. Both are fine but silica gel would be better i guess, less chance of being too dry

kind of budget tight because i'm still a teen studying and my parents already just sponsored me a DSLR because its a another passion for me to start with .

Both are fine.Go down to M S Colour and get the $23 dry box.It has a built-in silica gel pack which can be recharged by microwaving it:)

And it has a hygrometer too;)

Hi, I am a newbie too....

btw, i saw this container that cost $30+ which is suppose for keeping cameras...... you may want to take a look as it's real cheap.

The shop is on the 1st level.... just cant remember the name of the shop....

1st level of what???

Both are fine.Go down to M S Colour and get the $23 dry box.It has a built-in silica gel pack which can be recharged by microwaving it:)

Okay currently I have air tight container at home . Thought of using it and get a thirsty hippo for the meant time . is it okay ? .

Hygrometer is it a must ?

Okay currently I have air tight container at home . Thought of using it and get a thirsty hippo for the meant time . is it okay ? .

Without a hygrometer it would be difficult to control the humidity. thats why most of us prefer a dry cabi because it save us a lot of trouble.:)

Its ok but do note that silica gel is cheaper in a way that you can recharge it by microwave oven.Hygrometer is to check the RH inside your dry box,definitely a must...

Afiyy, i think you can go to digihub's website look at the drybox, which is everyone is recommending here. I'm getting that too! :)

So for now to be safe I'm getting air tight container with thirsty hippo and put my camera inside .
Do guide me still .

if u buy hygrometer and thirsty hippo, u might as well save that money to buy a dry cabinet, since u know u want to buy one.

the best way to prevent fungus growth is to use the equipment often. so even for a month or two without dry cabinet should be fine.

Its ok but do note that silica gel is cheaper in a way that you can recharge it by microwave oven.Hygrometer is to check the RH inside your dry box,definitely a must...

my sincere advise is not to recharge the gel by microwave oven unless you have one that is not used to heat up your food. it's not that safe, due to the cobalt chloride. :)

do note that the fumes are carcinogenic.

thirsty hippo, the smaller packs (not sure if original one has it, but some camel version has the smaller type)... open half can already.

will last very long.

in the long run, just get a dry cabinet.

Get a dry cabi straight away. Saves more money in the long run.

But to be frank, my personal view is that the whole thing abt fungus growing, is slightly over-hyped.

Get a dry cabi straight away. Saves more money in the long run.

But to be frank, my personal view is that the whole thing abt fungus growing, is slightly over-hyped.

It won't feel over-hyped when one of your lenses develop a fungus growth.

Ask your parents to buy you a dry cabinet. Get a smaller cabinet or you can look for 2nd hand one people selling here less then $100. Explain to your parents how important to store your valuable gear in there. :think:

Last edited:

Do guide me still .

If your budget is restricted, can consider getting a dry box?? ;)

How much does a dry box cost. How much does 2 packs of thirsty hippo cost?

I think add a bit more can get a used 30L dry cab for less than $100. New one is only $110.

A few less packets of chicken rice, Stop eating dessert for a couple of months, stop watching movies for 2 months... etc.., Money come back already. If you have the passion for the hobby, you will make sacrifices. If you don't, you won't.

i support getting a dry cabinet.
I give up on dry box with the silicon gel. Very troublesome.

Get a small one to start with if you are on budget. :)