AIMING DEVICE-BIRD PHOTOGRAPHY

Stormy08

Mar 14, 2008
Very often I come across bird photographers using aiming devices atop of their DSLRs. What is the name of these devices? Are they available locally and the how much does it cost? Thanks.

I saw the sight scopes you mentioned for birding, they are available from Orient Photo (Sim Lim Square).

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Did some "googling" and it seems such sight scopes are also used for weapon aiming. If so, is it ok to use or order them from overseas?

I really have no idea about ordering them from overseas & clearing Singapore customs, especially scopes which are meant for firearm use, for all I know you may need to clarify in person when it arrives that its for photography use. Also the scopes for firearm use cant be mounted to the hot shoe without an adapter.

Just drop in Orient Photo & check them out, they have an open frame design & a tubular design with hot shoe mount. IIRC they are made in the PRC, quite affordable.

Thanks for the info. Did some "googling" and it seems such sight scopes are also used for weapon aiming. If so, is it ok to use or order them from overseas?

Bushnell brand has scopes with hotshoe mount for photography. Amazon ships free to SG if orders are above a certain amount. For certain categories if the total exceeds S$400, GST will be invoiced. Same for B&H. If you find shipping charges to be high, use Comgateway (in Portand Oregon). Usually free shipment within US to Comgateway which in turn will ship to your home address for a reasonable fee and within a week or so by DHL. I've used that mode many times. DHL will include the GST if above S$400 total. I haven't owned a scope but I know of SG birders who use such.

Last edited: