AIDS is bad for your relationship

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprintist

Nov 13, 2006
Singapore
www.oddinary.com.sg
After some serious critique from the first shot posted on portrait and poses, I have went to think about it and thought simple.

This time round only using my hands to tell a story.

The thumbs forming a gesture of relationship and in the shape of a heart. Now inverted, it represents only one thing - bad.

There, AIDS is written on the fingers, showing what AIDS can do to a relationship, nothing good at all.

This time round using the concept of a darker background to create the contrast and not so pleasant atmosphere. I have slightly darkened hand near the picture edge to reduce distraction as being as clear as the fingers itself took away too much attention.

Critiques on this picture if any are gladly welcomed. Thanks!

2300340628_3262b18a5b_b.jpg

Wow i love the lighting used in this one.

Very clever how you used the thumbs to make the "heart shape" plus the thumbs down sign.

However it is still not strong and serious enough for a AIDS campaign IMHO.

You need something more in your face and direct, abstract may not appeal to all.

Wow i love the lighting used in this one.

Very clever how you used the thumbs to make the "heart shape" plus the thumbs down sign.

However it is still not strong and serious enough for a AIDS campaign IMHO.

You need something more in your face and direct, abstract may not appeal to all.

oh..so using human subjects will be a better choice am i right to say? Posing for a lovey dovey picture?

if you stick a condom on the thumb will be more interesting.:bsmilie:

well done bro, I always enjoy seeing your works...

if you stick a condom on the thumb will be more interesting.:bsmilie:

well done bro, I always enjoy seeing your works...

ahhh..i was wondering why i couldn't find condoms at 7-11 and cheers convenience stores..i went to a few and shop n save as well. do they not sell?

oh..so using human subjects will be a better choice am i right to say? Posing for a lovey dovey picture?

Not necessarily the lovey dovey thing but yea i guess humans make a better choice. I actually kinda liked the idea of you using the towel to make a red ribbon.

I thought it was kinda smart.

Maybe if you wanna add more punch to it,

Consider framing the shot in geylang. With the glaring lights and motion blur of people set against the model.

The model can use the same towel, and maybe he can hug himself with the arms to show vulnerability.

Of course all that said and done, you need to be pretty daring to attempt this :devil:

Not necessarily the lovey dovey thing but yea i guess humans make a better choice. I actually kinda liked the idea of you using the towel to make a red ribbon.

I thought it was kinda smart.

Maybe if you wanna add more punch to it,

Consider framing the shot in geylang. With the glaring lights and motion blur of people set against the model.

The model can use the same towel, and maybe he can hug himself with the arms to show vulnerability.

Of course all that said and done, you need to be pretty daring to attempt this :devil:

that brings the point that the background is impt too. and my white background was a flop.

i am the model and the photographer. very challenging ah!

i once went geyland attempted to do street shots but was intimidated by the many hideous pimps and others that u dont know what lies beneath them haha

that brings the point that the background is impt too. and my white background was a flop.

i am the model and the photographer. very challenging ah!

i once went geyland attempted to do street shots but was intimidated by the many hideous pimps and others that u dont know what lies beneath them haha

I'd love to help you with your shoot if you dare to be the model there. Haha. Ive been living my 21 years in geylang afterall.

wah, really thanks but i dun dare! afterall i'm no daring model!

hehe.. you never know if you try.. Just look at Mattlock's sexy chicken rice shot.

If you change your mind let me know. It would be a really interesting shoot! :devil:

WOW...loved this shot...stared at it for some time..
think its a simple kinda abstract shot, meaning, kinda fool proof and that others will be able to catch the message immediately, if not, jus some simple words will do the trick.
creative thinking! gr8 job!

WOW...loved this shot...stared at it for some time..
think its a simple kinda abstract shot, meaning, kinda fool proof and that others will be able to catch the message immediately, if not, jus some simple words will do the trick.
creative thinking! gr8 job!

nice idea and photo, heez

thankyou guys! appreciated!

hey, very nice, but i think the idea for "aids bad for relationship" can be develop further.

there are a few common methods creatives develope their ideas, one is by drawing many 2 by 2 inch boxes on a piece of paper and then die die must fill up all of them by sketching out as many different ideas as possible. the reason is to help push yourself further from the cliches that first come to your mind. and then theres a word association method where you list down the key words (eg aids, bad, relationship) then under each of them, list down all the words (or images) that comes to your mind (eg. aids = condoms, sex, drugs, needles... bad = thumbs down, poison, fail, drains, death... / relationships = love, gay, mother and child...) then from there you try to link different words or image randomly to develope a powerful image to convey your message.

much better then the first one for the entry to the comp :)

I think that there is something wrong when you say "AIDS is bad for your relationship".

When you make a representation of AIDS, you are referring to someone who has reached the stage where he/she is sick and showing signs of health problem. It really is the ending stage of someone life. You can of course say that it is bad for one's relationships, but this applies to everybody who is dying.

Without looking at your photos, you seem to be attaching a stigma to someone who is about to die, and actually making a point that is really pointless. Even if you are to say "HIV is bad for your relationship", it's really pointless because we all know it is bad news. It's like saying
"Committing suicide is bad for your relationship", "Old age is bad for your realtionship" etc etc.

If you can, you would want to say something like "Promiscuous sex is bad for your relationship" or something along that line, which is what led you to use AIDS to represent the end result.

But be careful here, we don't want to attach a stigma to people who are dying from AIDS or have HIV becasue we all know the how they can be shunned. Having HIV or AIDS is akin to having a death sentance, it's really a terrible thing, so be very careful about how you potray what you are trying to do.

hey, very nice, but i think the idea for "aids bad for relationship" can be develop further.

there are a few common methods creatives develope their ideas, one is by drawing many 2 by 2 inch boxes on a piece of paper and then die die must fill up all of them by sketching out as many different ideas as possible. the reason is to help push yourself further from the cliches that first come to your mind. and then theres a word association method where you list down the key words (eg aids, bad, relationship) then under each of them, list down all the words (or images) that comes to your mind (eg. aids = condoms, sex, drugs, needles... bad = thumbs down, poison, fail, drains, death... / relationships = love, gay, mother and child...) then from there you try to link different words or image randomly to develope a powerful image to convey your message.

very informative! 2x2 is indeed alot. i did some sketches, about 6 ideas of which i had a saturation point and couldnt imagine further..haha what i learn from you is the listing of the words which i thought could further brainstorm for ideas or might relate to more of it.

much better then the first one for the entry to the comp :)

thanks!!

I think that there is something wrong when you say "AIDS is bad for your relationship".

When you make a representation of AIDS, you are referring to someone who has reached the stage where he/she is sick and showing signs of health problem. It really is the ending stage of someone life. You can of course say that it is bad for one's relationships, but this applies to everybody who is dying.

Without looking at your photos, you seem to be attaching a stigma to someone who is about to die, and actually making a point that is really pointless. Even if you are to say "HIV is bad for your relationship", it's really pointless because we all know it is bad news. It's like saying
"Committing suicide is bad for your relationship", "Old age is bad for your realtionship" etc etc.

If you can, you would want to say something like "Promiscuous sex is bad for your relationship" or something along that line, which is what led you to use AIDS to represent the end result.

But be careful here, we don't want to attach a stigma to people who are dying from AIDS or have HIV becasue we all know the how they can be shunned. Having HIV or AIDS is akin to having a death sentance, it's really a terrible thing, so be very careful about how you potray what you are trying to do.

hmm of cos, of cos. not stating that aids has already been gotten but rather, the point like you mention promiscuous sex is very true which cannot be seen. more like a process of getting aids and as a result it damages the relationship becos of the death that comes with it eventually.

my point was to create awareness of not contacting aids, hence to avoid being a person who goes fooling around.

at the same time, not all hiv pple are genuinely promiscuous, some are inborn, some accidentally contacted it. I might have overlooked those point indeed. however my main message was still to create a prevention awareness of not contacting it. No offence to those who are suffering the burden of it!

Great point you listed out! many thanks for that!

Status
Not open for further replies.