AiAF should enable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yocoolboy

Mar 9, 2004
Hi
Does anyone know what is AiAF? Until now I only know it is a type of focus by Canon but it does not always focus the things i want. Should I disable it?

Thanks to anyone who can enlighten me :D

headlesschook

Jun 12, 2004
erm, it works most of the time, why not leave it? better to learn how to use it than to switch it off.

stop worrying abt the camera and go take pictures. I dont mean test shots either.
if your pics dont come out the way you want them to, then post them up and i'm sure ppl here will help you out.

keep on snapping. that's what the camera is for.

NiVleK

May 15, 2003
Jurong West
daddy.nivlek.per.sg
well, disable it. AiAF to me is for complete camera idiots. Choose the center AF and focus and recompose to ur desire.

clive

Oct 9, 2002
Visit site
~AI-focus~ is what canon says as such: when in ~AI-focus~, camera will auto detect if the subject it locks on is moving or stationary subject.

if it is moving subject, it will use ~AI-servo~ (which is the equivalent of "continuous servo" in nikon-world)

if it is stationary subject, it will use ~One-shot~ (which is the equivalent of "single servo" in nikon world)

headlesschook

Jun 12, 2004
clive said:
~AI-focus~ is what canon says as such: when in ~AI-focus~, camera will auto detect if the subject it locks on is moving or stationary subject.

if it is moving subject, it will use ~AI-servo~ (which is the equivalent of "continuous servo" in nikon-world)

if it is stationary subject, it will use ~One-shot~ (which is the equivalent of "single servo" in nikon world)
AiAF! not AIFocus. It's in a point and shoot. Kind of like leaving all the AF points selected (EOS Equivalent). Generally works well for those who dont focus then recompose.

RossChang

May 2, 2004
rossblogspace.blogspot.com
yocoolboy said:
Hi
Does anyone know what is AiAF? Until now I only know it is a type of focus by Canon but it does not always focus the things i want. Should I disable it?

Prehaps you would like to let us know what camera you are using.

ST_sg

Mar 23, 2004
sunnytang.zenfolio.com
headlesschook said:
AiAF! not AIFocus. It's in a point and shoot. Kind of like leaving all the AF points selected (EOS Equivalent). Generally works well for those who dont focus then recompose.
That's right. I used the Canon IXus 330 before, and it has this AiAF focusing feature. If on, 3 or 9 of the focus points will be activited to focus, the purpose is to ensure most object covers within the whole frame is in focus. aka. great DOF.

If off, only middle focus point be selected to focus, so you may have shallow DOF.

yocoolboy, take some time to study the Canon user guide. It's a good start! :)

ST_sg

Mar 23, 2004
sunnytang.zenfolio.com
btw, you may disable the AiAF, meaning only rely on the center focus point. Practise this, aim at the subject with center focus point, half press shutter release button, once in focus (beep), recompose your frame while holding the half press shutter, once you satisfy the composition, continue to press shutter all the way down.

Try it! :D :D

Belle&Sebastain

Jun 27, 2002
here
www.9frames.com
ST_sg said:
btw, you may disable the AiAF, meaning only rely on the center focus point. Practise this, aim at the subject with center focus point, half press shutter release button, once in focus (beep), recompose your frame while holding the half press shutter, once you satisfy the composition, continue to press shutter all the way down.

Try it! :D :D

yes, follow the above instruction! :thumbsup:

Belle&Sebastain

Jun 27, 2002
here
www.9frames.com
yocoolboy said:
Hi

AiAf

stands for Artifical intelligence Auto focus or something along that line.

NiVleK

May 15, 2003
Jurong West
daddy.nivlek.per.sg
Canon's wide-area AiAF (Artificial Intelligent Auto-Focus) intelligently and automatically selects one or more focusing points based on factors, such as subject position and motion. AiAF works in conjunction with iSAPS Technology to more quickly and accurately achieve auto-focus under a wide variety of shooting conditions. You get fast, accurate AF whether you hold the camera horizontally or vertically, with stationary or moving subjects, with off-center subjects, and even in low-light/low-contrast lighting. Simply place the subject anywhere in the frame and the wide-area multiple-point AiAF automatically selects any of the focus points. Out-of-focus pictures when the subject isn't centered are a thing of the past.

BUT>..... the practical side is... I used it before and I nv get what I want in focus. Thus, I chose to disable it and use half shutter and recompose.

Status
Not open for further replies.