Ahhhh!! price drop!?@#$%

ShiNn

Nov 26, 2006
What happen to those 2nd hands camera bodies ?

suddenly a 5D selling at roughly $1800++ drop to $1400++
a 7D selling at roughly $2000++ drop to $1800++

all second hand btw..

The value of your new cam starts to drop the moment you step out of the camera store.:cheers:

now if only property prices can also drop like that :think:

lol, nono. i mean 2nd hand market has its rough value holding at the area. why issit suddenly dropped?

You should be rejoicing as now can get them cheaper.

too many people can afford new cameras nowadays, thus forcing the 2nd hand market to drop . . .

Demand and supply. :D

The value of your new cam starts to drop the moment you step out of the camera store.:cheers:

that is not true. look at the buy/sell section, some GF1 owner are still selling at price close to a new set. that is really a joke. as a reference, a new set with a 20mm pancake is selling at S$1200

here are some the jokers:
Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 Pancake start bid at $500 :bigeyes:

Panasonic Lumix GF-1 Black with 20mm and 14-45mm Lens $1280
warranty of 6months :bsmilie: new set is selling at only 1400

Panasonic Lumix GF-1 Red with 20mm and 14-45mm Lens combo S$1100
no warranty :think:

Last edited:
seems like limited edition . . . :think: :bsmilie:

yeah, i too feel it's a result of demand/supply. that's why you see lots of canon 2nd hand stuffs going for quite low.

sometimes i feel that the prices given by some sellers are quite rediculously low.. kinda sad for the others selling the same piece of equiptment but that's just biz!

Offering to sell an item at any given price is not really an indication as to how much it is worth (to be sold) until the buyer accepts that price and buys it. It all comes down to supply and demand.

Wah 7D dropped price? Pls drop below 1.5.... i couldnt afford anything above that. *struggling photographer* :bsmilie:

Price drop?? Isn't that good?? How I wish 7D price can drop some more.....:bsmilie:

Seller wants to sell high and buyer wants to buy low.

:nono::nono:

sometimes it's people just signing up to "drop" the price.

perhaps they aim to lower the market benchmark (or at least give sellers the impression) so that they can buy the second hand equipment at a better price.

in any case, how's this for depreciation of value - i bought my k20d for $1.7K 2 years back, even offering it at $530 = no takers. i think too many people are buying cameras, and new ones at that.... well, the economy's recovering (or has recovered), hasn't it? :)

It might not be a price drop per se. Some people might "overprice" their stuff so that when somebody bargains they can give a lower price. eg. The market price for a 70-200 f4L with lenscode UV-UW might be 800-850 but you will see people posting anywhere between 750-1000. Those selling at 750 will be sold within minutes since it is underpriced. Those listing at more than 850 will remain unsold for weeks or it might finally be sold for 850 but the seller never update their thread with the final selling price. This gives the impression that there is a huge variation of the second hand price when in actual fact there isn't.

The actual "market price" might be known only to those who monitor b&s long enough and only for items that are traded often.

This I feel is one of the shortcomings of the current b&s, that it isn't really transparent.

I remember last time when anyone can comment in the b&s thread. When something is underpriced you immediately see a comment offering to deal or offering a higher price. When something is overprice, someone will come in and state the "fair" price followed by accusations of "price policing" by the seller. Makes it much easier to find out what is the market price.