AHH!! Tomorrow is first Event shoot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzOn3

Jul 12, 2003
Singapore
www.nig3l.com
AHH!! Tomorrow is my first ever event shoot!! I'm so afraid i'm gonna screw up!! Any advice? Oh ya, this is probably one redundant question, but i'd like to affirm myself. Should i shoot digital ( read A70 ) or should i shoot film?? I've got 3 SLRs at my disposal, but i've not used them before.. HELP!!

So once again, any advice? :D

then use your A70, at least you are used to it.
Just don't be afraid and shoot what you want. Think there's tonnes of words/advise/suggestions floating around in past threads, dig up those and you might even see the some of the good shots some of the members here had produced!
OzOn3 said:
AHH!! Tomorrow is my first ever event shoot!! I'm so afraid i'm gonna screw up!! Any advice? Oh ya, this is probably one redundant question, but i'd like to affirm myself. Should i shoot digital ( read A70 ) or should i shoot film?? I've got 3 SLRs at my disposal, but i've not used them before.. HELP!!

So once again, any advice? :D

and ya, I had used A40 for some events coverage before and except for the fact that it can't really perform in dim light conditions as the in-built flash is too weak for distant shots etc etc, it serves me quite well.

To add on, these are some of the shots using A40 for an event:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=42082
not fantastic but quite decent I feel personally.
meng said:
then use your A70, at least you are used to it.
Just don't be afraid and shoot what you want. Think there's tonnes of words/advise/suggestions floating around in past threads, dig up those and you might even see the some of the good shots some of the members here had produced!

Wha jia lat. First entry, encouragement, second, die. Haa. Cause tomorrow, most of the time is dim conditions. And guess what, i wasn't provided with an external flash for the SLRs!! HOW HOW HOW?!?!?!?!!?

ask yourself, how dim is dim?
Try increase your ISO of your A70 to 200 and see how.
don't use the SLRs even if there's a flash. Y? simply because you haven't used them before.
OzOn3 said:
Wha jia lat. First entry, encouragement, second, die. Haa. Cause tomorrow, most of the time is dim conditions. And guess what, i wasn't provided with an external flash for the SLRs!! HOW HOW HOW?!?!?!?!!?

If your event is outdoor or has ambient light, A70 can handle it. You may just want to anticipate your shots, though, as prosumer/dinky digicams are slower than SLRs/DSLRs. Perhaps before you jump the gun (of "badness of digicam"), let me add that I've been there and done events with a digicam - Coolpix950 to be precise, of a National Day Observance before. No issue of speed or low-light. Just a matter of planning and anticipating ahead.
Hope you have a good shoot, with more to come! :thumbsup:

Yups, Azure is a fine example.
Shall not repeat his words, but be fast and anticipatory.;)
Show us the shots!

meng said:
Y? simply because you haven't used them before.

Hey, i thought so too.. Heh..

Azure said:
If your event is outdoor or has ambient light, A70 can handle it. You may just want to anticipate your shots, though, as prosumer/dinky digicams are slower than SLRs/DSLRs. Perhaps before you jump the gun (of "badness of digicam"), let me add that I've been there and done events with a digicam - Coolpix950 to be precise, of a National Day Observance before. No issue of speed or low-light. Just a matter of planning and anticipating ahead.
Hope you have a good shoot, with more to come! :thumbsup:

Wha, that's very encouraging.. Well, my event is more like a concert kinda thing.. Low lights, lights on the performers kinda thing.. Well, i pretty much know how to anticipate with my A70.. Been with it for awhile.. Heh..

So basically, what i should do is shoot with something i'm more familiar with, rather than a SLR that i've never used before?? Alrighty! Wish me luck!!

Azure said:
BTW, what kind of event is it?

Oh, it's my school's event ar. Something like talent time.. Got VIPs, Celebrity judges..

The organizer kept emphasizing on "shoot the vip".. Hahaa..

Yeah, will upload me better pics when i'm over and done with..

perhaps you'll want to know what will the shots be used for eventually.
If you are going to try ISO 200 or/and above, then to use the shots for some big prints or poster etc might not be too good. Try shooting at home with various ISOs to see whether the noise will be acceptable to you and the intended usage.

And it's up to you whether to use the A70 flash, it will yield different results - so no right or wrong.

Yups, unless you had used a similar SLR before.

Cheers;)
OzOn3 said:
Hey, i thought so too.. Heh..

Wha, that's very encouraging.. Well, my event is more like a concert kinda thing.. Low lights, lights on the performers kinda thing.. Well, i pretty much know how to anticipate with my A70.. Been with it for awhile.. Heh..

So basically, what i should do is shoot with something i'm more familiar with, rather than a SLR that i've never used before?? Alrighty! Wish me luck!!

Use your SLRs for your main cameras. One mount with wide angle, one with telephoto and one for backup in case the other spoil. Can also use your A70 as a backup or secondary camera.

I can't give you much advice as I don't know what event you're covering but the best is to sit down with your clients and ask then what type of shoots they want and what they want to use it for. By doing so, you'll have an Ideal of what type of shoots to take.

Another thing is to know from your client how much they willing to spend on films so you'll know what films to get and how many. ISO 400 is good enought for indoor shoots during the day. ISO 800 or 1600 will serve you well for night indoor shoots with good lighting.... Fuji NPH will be good for it's colour saturation...

Lastly, keep all your equipments in a sling bag so you can access it easily.

Just cover an event over the weekend so here's my 2 cents worth...

If you need another photographer, maybe I can help but I need to know the timing and type of events....

OzOn3 said:
my event is more like a concert kinda thing.. Low lights, lights on the performers kinda thing..
Uh-oh. That's a tough one. Suggest you try a couple of shots without flash first (probably before the concert starts). Don't bother with all the Tv Av M mode nonsense and preset everything else to P mode. That should free you to concentrate on shooting than on the camera settings, mostly.

Plan for arty-farty shots. Bear in mind that NOT EVERY SHOT NEED TO BE SHARP. That's by and large conventional shooting. But if you can change your mindset on that, then you're rolling.

OzOn3 said:
Wish me luck
Indeed. All the best.

/me logging off to go get dinner...
PM me or bug me later, will be back around 11pm.

To add on, you might want to stick a piece of masking tape over the flash of your A70 to "diffuse" the flash. Try it on and see the results for yourself lor.
Personally, I did not try it previously as I tried not to use the camera's internal flash.

OzOn3 said:
Oh, it's my school's event ar. Something like talent time.. Got VIPs, Celebrity judges..

The organizer kept emphasizing on "shoot the vip".. Hahaa..

Yeah, will upload me better pics when i'm over and done with..

Ah..... A 80-200 f2.8 will be good to take close up of the VIP.... HEheheheh

Kira said:
Ah..... A 80-200 f2.8 will be good to take close up of the VIP.... HEheheheh

Whahahah!! Hey kira, thanks!! But i'm not paid.. =x I hope i get CCA points though.. I think i'll stick to my A70 ar.. my SLr never use before..

/me goes off for dinner.. be back later..

OzOn3 said:
Whahahah!! Hey kira, thanks!! But i'm not paid.. =x I hope i get CCA points though.. I think i'll stick to my A70 ar.. my SLr never use before..

/me goes off for dinner.. be back later..

Not paid? Not even for developement of prints and such? Wah then use digital can liao lah........ Hehhehehe, if your school willing to cover my overhead cost, I might do it but have to see the time for the event.....

Kira said:
Not paid? Not even for developement of prints and such? Wah then use digital can liao lah........ Hehhehehe, if your school willing to cover my overhead cost, I might do it but have to see the time for the event.....

Wha! You so power ar! haha.. I mean, you're willing to do it for free??

No lah, not paid doesn't mean have to develope the films at my own cost ar.. I shoot, then give them the negatives ar. Haha. Ask my develope out of my own pocket, in my dreams aR!! Haa. I think i'll shoot digital :D More fool proof anyway. :D

Yes, i'll keep all the tips in mind.. Thank you all!! Have been very helpful and ecouraging!! Will upload them pictures when i'm done and over with! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.