Ah! I've got my k7!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The grip does make the camera look even prettier.

i would get a grip for my k20d, if it would not make my camera unfittable into my billingham........

i mean it probably still could fit with some arrangement...... but it would mean a squeezing my lens tighter.... :bigeyes:

but anyways, i agree, it makes the camera prettier.

why you don't like, the k-7 so soft............. i actually got to hear it in real life before and i was jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

soft is always better than loud. best if can eliminate altogether.

Ah. I thought I would love it. It's hard to describe but with the k10d, you feel very linked with the camera. The k7's mirror slap feels very detached and hollow. I didn't know the mirror slap actually plays quite an important role, at least psychologically during the photo taking process.

i also want this..................... then don't need to use spirit level ever again unless doing panorama.......
This is one thing worth the upgrade for you especially manz. Damn nice feature.

never mind about this la..... when i switch from k100d to k20d, i also not even used to having a front wheel................ then now is ok :heart:
I think its just a matter of getting used to for me. Hope I can get used to both camera at the same time. Ha.

why need to pull???
if same as k20d, then you press and it pops out.
i hope you have not damaged it.
You need to experience it to understand. It's the same push-pop-eject design and I swear I have no problems with my k10d. But its quite hard to pull out the card after you have ejected it. I am not silly-ly trying to pull it out without ejecting. :( No damages, SD card is safe too. heng ah. Ha.

the mirror slap sound and feel will change with different lenses on, this kind of variable thing i cannot control and hence will not expect anything much in this respect, other than just quietness.

the sd card slot will loosen up after some time, at least mine did..now it's easier, secure enough not to drop out after ejecting, yet not too tight also..

Last edited:
Actually i find scorpioh's late adopter review quite honest. Definitely not a troll-like review, since he's got the whole party of Limiteds. I agree on the psychological aspects of 'feel' (I.e your comment on the shutter sound), but on the contrary I feel better with a damped shutter/mirror slap :)

But I think you forgot to pen down your thoughts on one of the most impt upgrade feature => The size.

compared to K10D/K20D size, it's a big improvement.

the mirror slap sound and feel will change with different lenses on, this kind of variable thing i cannot control and hence will not expect anything much in this respect, other than just quietness.

the sd card slot will loosen up after some time, at least mine did..now it's easier, secure enough not to drop out after ejecting, yet not too tight also..
It's just a very different mirror slap from what I am used to. Definitely better in terms of vibration reduction. I could almost feel it's like a two-stroke action. Dunno.
I think the card slot is lossening up. But for first timer, it's quite an unpleasant surprise - you'll start to panick a bit and feel rather helpless. So the trick is to use a pair of tweezer to pull it out first. Really, its about not having enough grip due to the design.

Actually i find scorpioh's late adopter review quite honest. Definitely not a troll-like review, since he's got the whole party of Limiteds. I agree on the psychological aspects of 'feel' (I.e your comment on the shutter sound), but on the contrary I feel better with a damped shutter/mirror slap :)

But I think you forgot to pen down your thoughts on one of the most impt upgrade feature => The size.

compared to K10D/K20D size, it's a big improvement.
Thanks Hamustar. Ha. Nothing much to do with the lenses this time lah, just focusing on the body.

And ooh, I have mentioned the size aspect in the 1st post of this thread. I wouldn't consider it an improvement. Just a change. Some people prefer a bigger body while some a smaller one. I am the former type of person.

Ah. Ha, I know I need to give it a push to eject it. Same like the k10d. I am really referring to the difficulty in removal after the SD card has been ejected. It was almost impossible the first time and I was literally thinking of sending it to the service center!

Sorry! Skipped my attention that it was you who had this problem. Thought the comment was actually posted by a new-comer! :)

If it is indeed so difficult to eject the SD card, a trip to the service center to rectify the problem once and for all would be a prudent decision... hopefully it will be corrected on the spot for you.

Also, your initial opinions on the K7 are spot on. Its a great camera... but since I already have the D90 and I often shoot at high ISOs and need better focusing and image stabilization, I decided to skip the K7 for now and wait for its successor... before I decide to offload the D90. K-x was my first Pentax DSLR and I bought it thinking it would make a cheapo D90... and it does!... making the K-x a great backup DSLR for those loving the high ISO capability of the D90.

Last edited:
Ah. Ha, I know I need to give it a push to eject it. Same like the k10d. I am really referring to the difficulty in removal after the SD card has been ejected. It was almost impossible the first time and I was literally thinking of sending it to the service center!

The snug fitting card slot is part of the deal .............. some complaints voiced but doesn't warrant sending in for servicing. Just season it ..... by pushing and ejeculating ....oops ........ejecting your card ..... to ease the expulsion ........ Goodness I make it sound so vulgar ...... :p

Last edited:
Sorry! Skipped my attention that it was you who had this problem. Thought the comment was actually posted by a new-comer! :)

If it is indeed so difficult to eject the SD card, a trip to the service center to rectify the problem once and for all would be a prudent decision... hopefully it will be corrected on the spot for you.

Also, your initial opinions on the K7 are spot on. Its a great camera... but since I already have the D90 and I often shoot at high ISOs and need better focusing and image stabilization, I decided to skip the K7 for now and wait for its successor... before I decide to offload the D90. K-x was my first Pentax DSLR and I bought it thinking it would make a cheapo D90... and it does!... making the K-x a great backup DSLR for those loving the ISO capability of the D90.
Wow, I'm flattered. Ha.
I think its loosening up. Can't bear to send a new camera to the service center. Hee.
kx is a very good performer; just that I prefer a mid-pro body.

IMO the shutter improvement on K7 is the best upgrade. To me it's just so much nicer than previous models.

I'm surprised that you feel the AF speed is pretty much the same. To me the difference is very obvious.

K7's button arrangement make more sense and is easier to get used to if you are new to Pentax. But since you've used K10D for so long, just give some time, you'd be fine, and probably love it even more, like most other K7 users.

The SD card was indeed a bit hard to take out at the beginning. But now mine is very easy to take out.

As I've said many times, after used the K7 for over 6 months, there is no way to make me go back to a K20D/K10D, mostly for the much improved shutter, much shorter shutter lag, the size, the look...

IMO the shutter improvement on K7 is the best upgrade. To me it's just so much nicer than previous models.

I'm surprised that you feel the AF speed is pretty much the same. To me the difference is very obvious.

K7's button arrangement make more sense and is easier to get used to if you are new to Pentax. But since you've used K10D for so long, just give some time, you'd be fine, and probably love it even more, like most other K7 users.

The SD card was indeed a bit hard to take out at the beginning. But now mine is very easy to take out.

As I've said many times, after used the K7 for over 6 months, there is no way to make me go back to a K20D/K10D, mostly for the much improved shutter, much shorter shutter lag, the size, the look...

......... ahem ............... poison detected ................... :rolleyes:

Yup, I made a trip to Service Centre at Peninsular Plaza, and a nice gentleman, Kevin showed me how to get it out. You just have to take it "straight" out. It gave me a fright. I thought the SD card metal connections came out, and got stuck in camera. I said, wow, what a nice experience - big bucks and straight away problem. Luckily it wasn't. I gotta tried a couple of times to get it out.

gently gently ;p
But I guess if you take it out a few more times, it should "season". My current K7 does not have this problem though although my previous K7 was a little tight at the beginning. :)

Frankly... if its so tight as to make you wonder if the thing was indeed working properly... that in itself is not a good thing. Inserting and ejecting an SDHC card into its slot should be a no-brainer... my personal opinion! I have used scores of digital cameras with such slots and never had to face this problem!

Anyway, good to know that its not really a huge issue in the end.

gently gently ;p
But I guess if you take it out a few more times, it should "season". My current K7 does not have this problem though although my previous K7 was a little tight at the beginning. :)
Wah, you'd returned to the k7 again le ah?! Ha. The force is strong. d:

Frankly... if its so tight as to make you wonder if the thing was indeed working properly... that in itself is not a good thing. Inserting and ejecting an SDHC card into its slot should be a no-brainer... my personal opinion! I have used scores of digital cameras with such slots and never had to face this problem!

Anyway, good to know that its not really a huge issue in the end.
Actually, its not really that tight but the room clearing betwwen the slot and door is so small that it is not quite possible to have enough finger grip on the card and hence difficult to pull out, You could actually pull it out quite easily with a pair of plastic tweezers if yours happen to get "stuck".

Status
Not open for further replies.