Again, I'm wondering if my set was stolen..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agenda

Deregistered
Jun 24, 2008
Tampines
I just checked with Sony for the 2nd time, the last time I did, the guy told me still got warranty and it wasn't flagged for stolen or lost.

Just now I check again, same thing, the camera had same duration for warranty (hence they are not trying to trick me) and it wasn't flagged for stolen or lost.

Funny thing is, I asked for the name registered under this camera, the guy told me is an indian name. The seller, didn't look indian. In fact, he looked more chinese than me.

Now there's 2 possibility, I checked his records in CS. All his threads are selling something ONLY. He has sold from compacts to NIKON/CANON DSLR.

First possibility, he has damn lucky to find so many cameras OR he is professional at picking them off.

Second, he finds cheap deals off the net then resell them for profit.

I'm thinking that I should call Sony again, ask for the registered user's number then call and verify. But then, there is a 50-50 chance that he might tell me he lost it and ask for its return. Then i'll be in a lose lose situation. If the seller is using prepaid number, I'll lose my $510 and the camera.

If the seller is using post paid, the only evidence that I have against him is sms for the deal to happen and 2 of my friends who saw me transact the deal.

How?

Why don't you call the seller to reconfirm your fear?

I really don't understand your concern bro.

As technology improves daily, Buy & Sell is becoming very common and people can just buy & try the camera out for a couple of months or even weeks and sell them off to get something else. Why not contact your seller & clarify with him if you are really so paranoid?

Since Sony confirms that it's not a stolen set, so be it. Anyway they have honoured the warranty right?

If you are so conerned about it, perhaps you should have just bought a brand new set in the first place. There are so many transactions in the Buy/Sell subforum and I'm not sure if everyone would go to the extend to verify if the set they bought are stolen sets but I have bought used cams before and so far there is no problem.

I would rather spend more time to capture pictures than to worry about this.

I guess you're right.. I'll stop thinking about it..

According to what i have learned in a law module in NUS, if you had no knowledge that the good you have bought from the seller was stolen during the sale, you will be able to sue him for breach of section 12 of the Sale of Goods Act. (Seller had no right to sell the good as he didn't have ownership of the good in the first place). If it really happens to be true, you can bring the case up to the Small Claims tribunal to try getting the $ back. So don't worry so much and just enjoy your gear :)

The most basic 'RULE' in 2nd hand trading:

Unless you are offered the ORIGINAL SHOP RECEIPT, ALWAYS ask for a written RECEIPT with the seller's particulars like name and IC no, or address as stated on his/her IC at the very least. Of course, don't forget to list down the item, serial number and date of trade.

If a seller has nothing to hide, there should be no reason why he/she would reject a request for a receipt and ID or address verification.

But I'm sure what I've just said would be scoffed at by many and also forgotten.

Don't worry too much.
As long Sony accept your set to service or anything then ok already.
:)

Now there's 2 possibility, I checked his records in CS. All his threads are selling something ONLY. He has sold from compacts to NIKON/CANON DSLR.

First possibility, he has damn lucky to find so many cameras OR he is professional at picking them off.
If you have been browsing, lurking or searching through the personal classifieds sub-forums, you would notice a number of so called "traders". They basically practises "low-balling techniques" on the seller, and sells the product for a profit in the same sub-forums repeatedly.

Mine two cents. ;)

i am going to second what 9v-orion-images said,

you probably met a trader..

anyways, why do you worry so much? one way of protecting yourself is to ask the sony techs to reply you officially in an email that your item has not been stolen or flagged as such. as long as you have paper proof to protect yourself, go ahead and shoot with it, please, stop sitting around thinking about something that isn't that important, especially since your fears have been unfounded so far.

Last edited:
If you have been browsing, lurking or searching through the personal classifieds sub-forums, you would notice a number of so called "traders". They basically practises "low-balling techniques" on the seller, and sells the product for a profit in the same sub-forums repeatedly.
Very common...Seen before.In fact it has happened to me once.

This guy bought my Nikkor 80-200 at $890.A short 2 days later, I find a post selling the same item with pics of my lens at $950.Got the same Hoya HMC filter which i gave him and has the same HP. number.

The owner can be asking his/her friend to sell. You know selling things in CS is not easy, you get lots of calls from people who don't understanding "fix price" or non nego.

There are many buyers in CS who ain't owner but to resell for profit. So you buy what you willing to pay and sell what you willing to let go.

Out course there is no guarantee that the good comes from a clean background, so any suspicious is valid. But even if you wish to check, don't turn on the siren before you arrive.

i dunno whats with your obsession to know if your set is stolen or not.

so what if its stolen.

1. are you going to throw it away into a dustbin? (call me if you do at 92709460, i pick it up from you, i even give you 10 bucks for it)
2. demand a money refund (which i frankly think is not going to happen)
3. sit at home, stare at the camera and cry?
4. go to your mummy and tell her all about how you decided to buy a second hand camera and keeps thinking its stolen?
5. some other un-fathomable thought or decision you are going to do with it.

you already got it. u bugged sony so many times, and they already told you its not stolen. move on with your life. bring it out, use it. shoot it. and learn how to use it better. instead of telling us all about how you THINK its stolen.

please, my dear fellow DSLR owner, dont be a paranoid.

Thanks everyone for your advise and gvnmorris for convicing me.

Guess I'll put this to rest. Thanks again!

UR most welcome bro.. enjoy the gear!!! ill see u soon though...

Status
Not open for further replies.