After the lady vandal, this rude student next...

There were some others there who, not surprisingly were not quoted by certain media outlets as saying that this young kid was extremely rude during the session and had exaggerated what transpired

hahaha there were never any objective media anywhere to begin with ? isn't it? lol. you can't find it in the newspapers, you can't find it on tv or the radio... and you can't find it in forums hahaha

The whole idea about "objective reporting" contradicts each other. Because when you report something, doesn't it also mean you cannot report something else? You can't possibly include everything in a report even if you want to "be objective" about it.

I mean seriously, i have already seen and read tonnes of miw's replies all my yrs in life, and they are a champion of evasion, and avoidance. I have lost count of how many times i really pray that they just rot and die. Just a bunch of useless overpaid good for nothings. Seriously, giving them a F word is too lenient - punch and kicks is BARE minimum!

I mean seriously, i have already seen and read tonnes of miw's replies all my yrs in life, and they are a champion of evasion, and avoidance. I have lost count of how many times i really pray that they just rot and die. Just a bunch of useless overpaid good for nothings. Seriously, giving them a F word is too lenient - punch and kicks is BARE minimum!

aren't politicians around the world masters of this? this is the definition of "Politician" from Urban Dictionary:

1. A person who practices politics.

"Politics" is derived from the words "poly" meaning "many", and "tics" meaning "blood-sucking parasites."

2. One who was perfected the art of lying.

3. A highly paid yes-man.
George W. Bush promised a man mission to Mars, of course we should believe him!

come on. if you can comment on politics i'm sure you should know what it's all about.

The whole idea about "objective reporting" contradicts each other. Because when you report something, doesn't it also mean you cannot report something else? You can't possibly include everything in a report even if you want to "be objective" about it.

i guess objective reporting probably means representing both sides of the story or somethng hahaha? but if value judgements are involved i guess it can never be objective..things like questions of right and wrong...... only kind of objective reporting i can think of is if something happened or not.. simple type of yes-no question i guess???? hmmm ...not sure

[video=youtube;2QUpp67OtIU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QUpp67OtIU&feature=player_embedded[/video]
what answers? you mean the "what do you think" or "what's your answer to that"? what does? What do you think can be done?

in fact they are bright. they are more mature than myself when I was their age... that time I only know how to screw around... watch the video..

[video=youtube;2QUpp67OtIU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QUpp67OtIU&feature=player_embedded[/video]
what answers? you mean the "what do you think" or "what's your answer to that"? what does? What do you think can be done?

in fact they are bright. they are more mature than myself when I was their age... that time I only know how to screw around... watch the video..

You choose a video that has been obviously edited to omit most of the replies to present your point?

given a chance to voice their opinion to a DPM, wouldn't it be great to be able to tell him what they thought?... and if he were just to answer their questions, people would just write that off as Gov propaganda anyways... these are supposed to be amongst the best and brightest of their generation, so they should take up the challenge, give their opinions, tell the DPM what they think, how they look at Singapore, not be spoonfed info... it's such a great opportunity...

[cricket sounds] *creek**creek**creek**creek**creek*

but seriously, is civility in response such a hardship?... that one has to resort to obscenities and (threats of) violence... such actions reflect more on the parties on the "producing" end then parties on the "receiving" end of such incivilities...

given a chance to voice their opinion to a DPM, wouldn't it be great to be able to tell him what they thought?... and if he were just to answer their questions, people would just write that off as Gov propaganda anyways... these are supposed to be amongst the best and brightest of their generation, so they should take up the challenge, give their opinions, tell the DPM what they think, how they look at Singapore, not be spoonfed info... it's such a great opportunity...

[cricket sounds] *creek**creek**creek**creek**creek*

but seriously, is civility in response such a hardship?... that one has to resort to obscenities and (threats of) violence... such actions reflect more on the parties on the "producing" end then parties on the "receiving" end of such incivilities...

hmmm hopefully the DPM does not need to hear the opnions of 17 yr old students to aid him in his policies.. or else i think taypayer's money would have gone down into the drain hahahhaa .....it is good that a DPM is willing to listen to the opinions of the people and citizens though... is our government like that????? HMMMMMMM.............lol

hmmm hopefully the DPM does not need to hear the opnions of 17 yr old students to aid him in his policies.. or else i think taypayer's money would have gone down into the drain hahahhaa .....it is good that a DPM is willing to listen to the opinions of the people and citizens though... is our government like that????? HMMMMMMM.............lol

Don't listen, then you complain. If solicit feedback on what the people think, then you are suspicious. Can such people be ever satisfied? Or perhaps it is not even worth trying.

Don't listen, then you complain. If solicit feedback on what the people think, then you are suspicious. Can such people be ever satisfied? Or perhaps it is not even worth trying.

listening and feedback will bring about helpful discusssion.... listening through the left ear and out another ear ???? hmmmm...replying a question to a question asked is called soliciting feeback???? people expect answers that is natural....willing to listen to answers is different from giving none and expecting one .... and i dun call it suspicion but healthy skepticism. politicians should like people like you alot LOL

listening and feedback will bring about helpful discusssion.... listening through the left ear and out another ear ???? hmmmm...replying a question to a question asked is called soliciting feeback???? people expect answers that is natural....willing to listen to answers is different from giving none and expecting one .... and i dun call it suspicion but healthy skepticism. politicians should like people like you alot LOL

Were you there at the session? Did the two speakers on stage just state the same phrase ad-nauseum? Or are you just view some edited clips and spout off whatever you heard?

Opening one eye while closing another does not make you anymore enlightened.

So the new media has allowed you to express your thoughts. That gave you a sense of power - for real or not. That doesn't mean you stop thinking rationally.

What do you think? Or do you, at all?

Last edited:
Were you there at the session? Did the two speakers on stage just state the same phrase ad-nauseum? Or are you just view some edited clips and spout off whatever you heard?

Opening one eye while closing another does not make you anymore enlightened.

So the new media has allowed you to express your thoughts. That gave you a sense of power - for real or not. That doesn't mean you stop thinking rationally.

What do you think? Or do you, at all?

do you have unedited clips of the whole session? if yes please post it up ..... or else there is no point in us arguing ....if there is no concrete evidence we argue until the cows go home also pointless
and i still stand by my opinion that the government is generally unreponsive and do not care about the opinions of the public for the most part...or do you disgaree?..
you can provide some evidence and convince me of course.....it will certainly be good if my opinion was wrong...who would want a govt who does not care about the views of its people?

and how does the new media allowing one to express thoughts give a sense of power? i dun understand that.... that is irrational in my point of view
whether my views are stupid or not... i express them ... not for any sense of power or something ....if they are wrong ... let them be proven wrong...so you think everyone
should just shut up and be afraid of expressing their views just because it might be irrational...if i don't express it .. how would i know i am wrong? i think you have a very skewed opinon of the new media....

It's still hope for a better tomorrow is it not, if the government initiates such dialogue/feedback sessions?

But what the general public does is to criticize the government all the time. How then, can a government(let's say for example) which is good carry out its duties without facint backlash from the pubw. We have too many blind followers who cry change but have no substance, and no good reason to have a major change of government just because we want a 2-party parliament.

It's still hope for a better tomorrow is it not, if the government initiates such dialogue/feedback sessions?

But what the general public does is to criticize the government all the time. How then, can a government(let's say for example) which is good carry out its duties without facint backlash from the pubw. We have too many blind followers who cry change but have no substance, and no good reason to have a major change of government just because we want a 2-party parliament.

yes if the government intitiates such dialouge and feeback sessions sincerely and not just to appear good, it is hope for a better tomorrow...
i am not going to argue whether its sincere or not here as i don't know, and you don't know..all are our conjectures ....haha

i think you are making a very sweeping statement and you are stereotyping the people who criticize the govt . one can generalize and say that the general public supports the government all the time and blind followers wants to remain status quo antdhave no substance also ....any type of generalization is wrong .... the government should of course expect criticisms... anyone should .... no one is perfect .. when people think the govt makes mistakes they criticise..it is natural...

there are faults to a one-party parliament... but who is to say a 2-party system is better... no one really knows and all are opinions...you might think there is no good reason to have a major change... but others do....they are all just opnions and all you hope for in a government might be different from that of another....

ps. if you think i have no substance.. never mind... just dun generalize and think the same about all other people who criticise the goverbment also...they might not be as stupid as me , LOL hahhahaa

why not listen to the opinion of a 17 yr old to aid him in his policies... everyone's opinion counts what... like that, listening to all Singaporeans, then taxpayers will get value for money... if he doesn't listen, then tax moneys rugi right? :)

as for whether feedback is reflected upon, there has been some efforts in recent times to change policies due to feedback right? (sometimes unnecessarily, but that's just my opinion :) )

Back to the subject line... I personally thinks the student and what he wrote in his blog is very rude we may disagree with other ppl but we don't use such words it just to show his level of intellect. Not only he shame himself but his parents also and his fellow young generations. I kinda wondering if his parents and school teachers teaches him some manners.....

What do they know at 17 years? Too coddled by over protective parents and used to the high life (expensive overseas holidays since primary school).
So why the hostility shown by the students to DPM? Because they thought doing so was being "stylish". They have not suffered like their counterparts elsewhere in the world, in rotten countries with lousy leaders. The forum was a bad PR mistake. The childish students do not have sufficient maturity to participate in a serious topic forum.

Mmm.... :think:

* Minister comes up with all the answers... people complaint very one sided with no outside input...

* Minister as you for your Opinion/Solution... people complaint Minister 'no use', put them in a spot...

Our brightest are suppose to be the Country's future... who should have an alternative solution to their own question... if I ever got a chance to ask a Minister an important question during Q&A... shouldn't I have more or less, some answer to my own question already in my mind ?? I would have been happy if the Minister is even 'willing' to spent time listening to my answer and discuss the issue with me, rather then just tell me what to do.

Please lah... Minister also Human... isn't it better for them to hear more input then just tell us what to do ?? :think:

"What is criticism? Any opinion against the existent scheme is criticism. Criticism can be of two types – constructive and destructive. The purpose of constructive criticism is to improve the present for the good of all. This is a positive approach. Destructive criticism is usually criticism for the sake of criticism. It is a negative approach which is disconcerting at the individual level and destructive in general."

"It is positive criticism that is the true test of democracy. Merely allowing criticism full rein does not mean that democracy is thriving. Negative criticism is harmful for a democracy as it negates all attempts at good governance. Criticism too must be responsible and serve a definite purpose."

Nothing wrong with opinions but I personally thought the student's article veered towards negative criticism. I think it's a logical fallacy to claim that because you pay someone a lot of money or 'hire them' they have to come up with all the solutions. Certainly it shouldn't be the case where there are no solutions, but taking it to the other extreme is equally bizarre. The moment you approach anyone with the end already predetermined there is no communication, and anyone, no matter how much you may dislike them, deserves a listen.

I also disagree with the attitude of the person who replied that 'we are 17, we don't have any solution.' Maybe you don't have a solution but you can try. Is Singapore your home? Do YOU have a stake? What is an age when you can say you have a good solution?

I certainly hope most people in Singapore don't take the attitude that we pay political leaders a good sum of money so we can stop thinking. Have some confidence in your own mind. Care enough. The fate of Singapore has never lied in the hands of a select few but the collective effort of each and single person that makes it up.

Let's just put it into perspective. Say you are a photographer whose client paid you a handsome sum of money. You shot a series, and the client isn't pleased. What seems like a reasonable approach, the client telling you what he's not happy about and suggesting some areas of improvement, or the client waving his hands in the air saying that he paid you a lot of money, solve it now and just solve it damn you I'm not a photographer so please don't ask me what to do!

Last edited: