after restoring to factory state

roamfree

Dec 14, 2010
i need some help from any IT experts.

I was having a lot of problems with my 2 and half years old lappy, with slow shutdown, spywares etc. I was adviced that it will be best to restore the lappy to factory state if the problems piled up. I followed the instructions on the user manual and managed to restore my lappy to its factory state. The problem is, after it returned to factory state, it prompted me for my MS office product key, and I keyed in what was given to me when i made my purchase (you know, that cd box without a cd thingy). But no matter how many times I keyed the product key in, no matter how many times I checked it, it just keeps telling me, I got the wrong product key. There are no zeros or "O" in my product key, neither are there "I" or "L", characters which can be easily mistaken for each other. So now, I cannot set my Outlook box, neither does it allow me to download msn cos it requires Windows Live essentials. There is a message that says, I can only use my office tools for XX times, before I have to key in the right product key. Else it will revert to the non-licensed versioned. Anybody can help me solve the problem?

TIA!

i need some help from any IT experts.

I was having a lot of problems with my 2 and half years old lappy, with slow shutdown, spywares etc. I was adviced that it will be best to restore the lappy to factory state if the problems piled up. I followed the instructions on the user manual and managed to restore my lappy to its factory state. The problem is, after it returned to factory state, it prompted me for my MS office product key, and I keyed in what was given to me when i made my purchase (you know, that cd box without a cd thingy). But no matter how many times I keyed the product key in, no matter how many times I checked it, it just keeps telling me, I got the wrong product key. There are no zeros or "O" in my product key, neither are there "I" or "L", characters which can be easily mistaken for each other. So now, I cannot set my Outlook box, neither does it allow me to download msn cos it requires Windows Live essentials. There is a message that says, I can only use my office tools for XX times, before I have to key in the right product key. Else it will revert to the non-licensed versioned. Anybody can help me solve the problem?

TIA!

This means the product key given to you is the wrong one. Why buy something without a proper CD of the software installed?
Which shop or vendor sold the laptop?

There are special software that can retrieve your product key. You can use this during the free trial period. Have fun.
Buy it if you like it.
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/productkeyexplorer.html

This one RockXP is free.
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/rockxp.html

Last edited:
There are special software that can retrieve your product key. You can use this during the free trial period. Have fun.

he said "restore to factory state", meaning everything wiped, there wont be any history in his registry.

roamfree, just call microsoft, it is free, tell them you want to register your product. i always call them.

Last edited:
it prompted me for my MS office product key, and I keyed in what was given to me when i made my purchase (you know, that cd box without a cd thingy).

TS, usually notebook comes with only Office for trial. You will need to purchase the product to use it beyond evaluation period. I am unsure the "box without CD" yiou are refering to is for Microsoft Windows or Microsoft Office. Note the former is refering to the operating system and the latter to the productivity suite.

This means the product key given to you is the wrong one. Why buy something without a proper CD of the software installed?

When I purchased my laptop, I was given a box which says "Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007". There is a product key inside and there is also a message specifically saying that the box does not contain cd, only the product key. The slot for cd is meant for a recovery disk if i get one myself. Does this means that I should somehow obtain a recovery disk and then install it before I key in the product key again?

Thanks to everybody who replied. I really appreciate it.

That is what your laptop vendor is for. Ask them to solve your problem.