After purchase maintenance . . . :)

J-YJX

Apr 9, 2011
Finally gotten my 1st DSLR, a big thanks to the bros here who had been giving me advice.

Really excited about it and tested my new toy last week and everything was great.

However I have some concerns in maintaining the DSLR, as it is not a cheap device so would really like to keep it in top condition.

Would appreciate if bros here can advise me of the tips or good habits I should do to maintain the Cam.

Also some of my concerns :

1. Saw some post/info on the web, that it is best not to keep the battery in the Cam. As even with the cam switch off, there is still electric current being discharge and this will shorten the battery life. Is that true?
I had keep it out due to this at the moment.

2. Also would like to check on how do I clean the lens? I notice when I attach the lens to the body there is also the mirror, do we need to check and clean it? Normally how frequent do you guys clean the lens/ mirror? What to use for the cleaning? ( I had a blower, a chemical liquid for lens and a cloth from gosh! I think)

3. Or do you guys send the cam to service center for servicing? I will be travelling in Aug and might send the device to check before that, not sure if this will be redundant.

4. Something off the maintenance, I got a tripod here and going to try shooting with it. Going to bring for travel as well, but it seems like this is not a ideal one. Any specs I should look out for? Or I should ask what the ideal tripod for travel usage is?

Thanks in advance! :)

oh ya one more thing, i saw some dust and a lil marks on the lens and I had use the cloth to wipe it. ( looks like those spectacles cloth) Will that actually cos scratches or make it worst?

thanks!

1) Battery, I normally charge after every outing (since it will be either flat or 3/4 flat). I try not to overcharge the batteries. For Canon, It's stated as 2hours. Sometimes I forgot about the switch and only take out after 3hours, so far so good *touchwood*. Many debates going on saying that Batteries can be charged overnight and nothing happens, But I just don't want to bet on that.

2)
- Cleaning Lens, If you are talking about the front element, I will use a blower to blow off all the dust... If after some heavy blowing (rocket blower), the dust still remains, I will then use a microfiber cloth ($2 from daiso) to wipe it off. If the dust is IN the lens, I will say, LEAVE IT if it does not affect Image Quality. Sending to service centers means they will open up (at a fee, even if you are still under warranty), and also possibility of more dust going in :p

- Cleaning Camera, don't clean the mirror unless it's dirtied. I normally only clean the exterior with a dry cloth if it's wet/damp/sandy etc. The only time I cleaned the mirror was when I accidentally let some dust land on the mirror while cleaning the lens (lucky not the sensors), if it's on the mirror, Just use the blower, turn the camera (such that the hole is facing the ground), then blow with all your might and hope the dust will come off the mirror... lastly, don't attempt to clean the camera sensors on your own, cos it may get worse. Get a professional (e.g. Canon = CSC, Nikon = NSC) to do it.

3) Servicing - If you are travelling to very cold countries, when you return, I would suggest that you send your camera AND lens for a full cleaning/servicing....Cos i scared later inside is damp and will grow fungus...better to pay abit than to replace whole dslr + lens

4) Tripod Criteria -> I will prefer it to be short while folded and lightweight. Short while folded means low max height. Lightweight can also mean not so stable as compared to heavy ones. I recommend Sirui T series e.g. T1004X (aluminium) or T1204X(carbon fiber). Check out TK Foto for list of Sirui Tripods and prices. Btw, if you are following a tour group for holiday, I recommend NOT bringing your tripod along, as you may not have the time to setup the tripod before they say the bus will be leaving etc...

5) Just make sure that it's not anything hard (e.g. Sand, Metal chips etc) on the lens before you use your microfiber, else it may get badly scratched. If it's oil stain from finger prints or food marks, just wipe it off using the microfiber

Lens protection, If you are traveling to the beach (or places with alot of dust and sand), I recommend slapping a UV Filter on it....Cleaning the Fine Sand off the camera is a PIA imo...

Hope this helps

Last edited:
TS,
I personally feel that there's no need to be so paranoid about the care of your camera and accessories.
A DSLR is really tougher than you might realize :)
It's just a tool to get the shots that you want.

As for the battery, I would just choose to leave it in the cam. Whatever (apparent) negative effect to the batt life is more than outweighed by the convenience of having the camera ready when you grab it from the dry cabinet.
1 of these days you might forget the batt when you go out and shoot! :)

Have been to cold countries with my DSLR before. No need to send for complete service or anything, I feel. Just use it n store as you normally would (in dry cabinet). So far no problems even a year or so after the trip ;)

you can watch through this video by Will Foo

[video=youtube;_gv6g2ksyjY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gv6g2ksyjY[/video]

1. Saw some post/info on the web, that it is best not to keep the battery in the Cam. As even with the cam switch off, there is still electric current being discharge and this will shorten the battery life. Is that true?
Your battery is a Lithium Ion type. These batteries have a deep discharge protection (built-in chip). Without this protection any deep discharge will destroy them. So if you keep the battery inside the cam the worst what can happen is that the battery is simply flat one fine day. Just charge it. Batteries itself also have a slow self discharge. It's unavoidable.
Whether you keep the battery inside the cam or not will not make any effect, other that you might find the battery empty when you want to use the cam.

2. Also would like to check on how do I clean the lens? I notice when I attach the lens to the body there is also the mirror, do we need to check and clean it? Normally how frequent do you guys clean the lens/ mirror? What to use for the cleaning? ( I had a blower, a chemical liquid for lens and a cloth from gosh! I think)
Don't touch the mirror. The reflective layer is on top, not on the backside like your bathroom mirror. Use a blower for mirror chamber and everything else. (Honestly, within 4 years I cleaned the mirror twice.) Use lens cleaning fluid and soft cloth for the lens if still necessary. But don't get paranoid. It needs a lot of dust to affect images.
3. Or do you guys send the cam to service center for servicing? I will be travelling in Aug and might send the device to check before that, not sure if this will be redundant.
It's redundant. Your camera is not a car that needs preventive maintenance and oil service. Send it to service center if something is broken.

4. Something off the maintenance, I got a tripod here and going to try shooting with it. Going to bring for travel as well, but it seems like this is not a ideal one. Any specs I should look out for? Or I should ask what the ideal tripod for travel usage is?
Have a look here; http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/thre...elines-on-selection-of-tripod-and-tripod-head

thanks skystrike,octarine, doubleace, ZerocoolAstra for your advices.

have a clearer picture now.

Do you all get a lens pen as well? issit necessary?

I have also yet to get a dry box or cabinet. Haha look search through forum on the topics and think cabinet is a gd choice.. but currently on budget might buy a dry box..

do you guys bring dry box while travel.. actually for ard 9 days it is ok right? I am travelling to taiwan actually. In Aug think it is not that cold and damp.

sorry abit panaroid as this is the 1st time owning a DSLR, just want to ensure i am maintaining it right.

my trip pod stands at 1350mm at full, seems like but dont know if it is sturdy cos is lightt.Is also afraid to risk the camera to drop and kiss the floor..haha. think will try it this weekend.

I don't use a lens pen...But I guess it's up to indv preference bah...

For convenience sake, I will get a Dry Cabinet...it's way Tooooo troublesome to maintain a drybox.

I don't think 9 days will do anything to your camera even if it's in the bag all 9 days.

Tripod Test for sturdiness, mount your heavies setup then see if it's easy to knock it down or not by pushing abit at the camera from all angles. If you find it too easy to push it down, probably it's not sturdy enough...

thanks skystrike,octarine, doubleace, ZerocoolAstra for your advices.

have a clearer picture now.

Do you all get a lens pen as well? issit necessary?

I have also yet to get a dry box or cabinet. Haha look search through forum on the topics and think cabinet is a gd choice.. but currently on budget might buy a dry box..

do you guys bring dry box while travel.. actually for ard 9 days it is ok right? I am travelling to taiwan actually. In Aug think it is not that cold and damp.

sorry abit panaroid as this is the 1st time owning a DSLR, just want to ensure i am maintaining it right.

my trip pod stands at 1350mm at full, seems like but dont know if it is sturdy cos is lightt.Is also afraid to risk the camera to drop and kiss the floor..haha. think will try it this weekend.

Lenspen is not too expensive. Worthwhile getting it if you need to remove some spots or stuff on your lens.

I am a dry cabinet convert, after "struggling" with dry box for some time :)
Saves a lot of hassle checking on the state of the silica gel etc. Of course you need some space and a power supply.

Tripod and head should be stable. Able to support your heaviest setup when wind blows etc. And also preferably when you lock the composition and let go of camera, there should be no creep.

For me i prefer lens tissue than lens pen, i used both before. 1 week travel is not a problem to your camera. Don't waste your money on dry box, get a dry cabinet instead and no regret.

Lenspen is not too expensive. Worthwhile getting it if you need to remove some spots or stuff on your lens.

I am a dry cabinet convert, after "struggling" with dry box for some time :)
Saves a lot of hassle checking on the state of the silica gel etc. Of course you need some space and a power supply.

Tripod and head should be stable. Able to support your heaviest setup when wind blows etc. And also preferably when you lock the composition and let go of camera, there should be no creep.

hi! im struggling with dry box also!! thinking to get a dry cabinet this wkend any idea which brand is better? i think 30L for me is enough,,

I got mine from Carrefour, free delivery at above $150.

yup. think of getting it also. any idea where got sell? i know reddotphoto carry but its not convinent for me..

Digi-Cabi, I think any dry cabi bigger than DB-036 can get free delivery.. You can get the price, details and place order at the recommended stores.

Last edited:
Digi-Cabi, I think any dry cabi bigger than DB-036 can get free delivery.. You can get the price, details and place order at the recommended stores.

i think i only need the 30l one.. i dont mind bringing back myself so long its convinent for me

I will do a test on my free tripod this weekend @ SG 1st.Hope it is not too lousy, but i feel the height is abit low, I need to bend over abit. My heaviest set up is just cam with kit 1 lens

I was thinking a 30L digi-cabi too since I am a starter only with Kit 1, is this a analog one? Or this is already a digital version, I just need to set the humiditiy and everything and it is on auto? I read through the forum but is still abit confused.

anyway i think reddotphoto sells it at a cheaper rate.

I will do a test on my free tripod this weekend @ SG 1st.Hope it is not too lousy, but i feel the height is abit low, I need to bend over abit. My heaviest set up is just cam with kit 1 lens

I was thinking a 30L digi-cabi too since I am a starter only with Kit 1, is this a analog one? Or this is already a digital version, I just need to set the humiditiy and everything and it is on auto? I read through the forum but is still abit confused.

anyway i think reddotphoto sells it at a cheaper rate.

what is your equipment? might want to share with us? so we can recommend you a suitable tripod? n.n!

for dry cabinet reddotphoto sell 118. outside i dont know. anyone care to share the price of a 30l digi cabi?