After PP, which do you backup: RAW or PSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2008
Geylang
focaljam.com
Ideally, I'd like to backup both (PSD and RAW) but the files are big. My dilemma is:

- If I backup the RAW file only, I lose out on some of the post-processing (and layers) I've done.

- If I backup the PSD file only, will there be a future scenario where I might need the RAW file?

Please share your backup practice. Which format do you keep?

Jun 26, 2008
Geylang
focaljam.com
the idea behind is:

1. Open RAW
2. Adjust WB, Curves, etc.
3. Save as PSD
4. Open PSD
5. Retouch (adjustment layers, filters, etc.)

after those steps, which file to backup (on a NAS, DVD, etc.)? as mentioned earlier, if I backup only one (either RAW or PSD), I lose out on some functionality. If I backup both, it eats up a lot of space.

i was wondering what others do when it comes to backups.

zac08

Feb 21, 2005
East
Now it all depends on the amount of work that is going into the PP stage.

If I am going to make it a project that involves multiple layers, multiple stages of editing, then I'll save both, separately of course.

The RAW goes into archival if I need to redo the project later on. And the PSD is for working on, slowly. This will give u more room to manouevre and not have any bridges cut off...

Aug 31, 2008
I keep both. But if I need to 'save space' on my harddisk, then I'll keep the RAW for the shots that I prefer.

rendition

Jan 26, 2008
Singapore
www.VisualVerve.sg
After I'm done with RAW processing in Lightroom, I export all the chosen files into TIFF (LZW) and discard the RAW. I've rarely... or never, seen the need to re-process or edit the RAW file.

tirza

Jul 26, 2007
www.flickr.com
only for some (those i like) i save as psd..
coz i edit quite much, hence one psd file can be like 100mb.. :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom