After D70......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benign

Jan 30, 2004
Melbourne
gallery127599.fotopic.net
Hi Guys/Gals,

I need some advise. After more than a year of D70, setting aside some allowance($2.5 to $3K) for further indulgence in photography. I am stuck with thinking what to get? Which way to move....?

A. Should I stick with D70? and get new lens(Nikkor 12-24mm DX and other prime lenses) ? Or

B. Invest in a Nikon F5 and Nikkor 20mm AFD And keep the D70 still ? Or

C. Sell the D70 and top up the $ for a D200?

Currently, I already owned old MF Nikons (F and F2....).
Sorry to ask, but really unsure which way to go......film still reigns in terms of quality and value. :dunno:

Your advise is appreciated. :thumbsup:

Benign said:
Hi Guys/Gals,

I need some advise. After more than a year of D70, setting aside some allowance($2.5 to $3K) for further indulgence in photography. I am stuck with thinking what to get? Which way to move....?

A. Should I stick with D70? and get new lens(Nikkor 12-24mm DX and other prime lenses) ? Or

B. Invest in a Nikon F5 and Nikkor 20mm AFD And keep the D70 still ? Or

C. Sell the D70 and top up the $ for a D200?

Currently, I already owned old MF Nikons (F and F2....).
Sorry to ask, but really unsure which way to go......film still reigns in terms of quality and value. :dunno:

Your advise is appreciated. :thumbsup:

I'd spend the money on a trip overseas and use the equipment you already own to capture sights and experiences that you can't in Singapore. ;)

I'd spend the money on a trip overseas and use the equipment you already own to capture sights and experiences that you can't in Singapore.

Thanks for the advise :)

By Feb/March, I am heading for KL(Family reside in Melbourne). That's why I am thinking of upgrading mah in camera or lenses.

It ain't tat easy to choose when there are too many choices....like in lenses Nikkor 17-35mm AFS F/2.8, Nikkor AFD 20mm or 12-24mm DX for the DSLR(way of the future). :confused:

Money ain't drop from the tree ley :bsmilie:

1. Do you need a new camera? What is it about the D70 that you are not satisfied with?
2. Do you need a new lens? What is it about your current setup that you are not happy with?

For me, I would go with lens or film until my D70 conks out on me, since I am already out of the country.

Benign said:
Thanks for the advise :)

By Feb/March, I am heading for KL(Family reside in Melbourne). That's why I am thinking of upgrading mah in camera or lenses.

It ain't tat easy to choose when there are too many choices....like in lenses Nikkor 17-35mm AFS F/2.8, Nikkor AFD 20mm or 12-24mm DX for the DSLR(way of the future). :confused:

Money ain't drop from the tree ley :bsmilie:

Hi, to offer u a real honest advice, I suggest u spend it on a trip instead. Instead of travelling in comfort, u might wanna squeeze it on a backpack trip. Yes, lens and bodies are here to stay but ask urself, anything that ur current set can't do? I spent wat i was saving for a 10day trip to vietnam and i must say, its more worth then getting any lens or stuffs. the experience of the country, sharing experiences with fellow backpackers, dining and travelling with them and friends asking if they can blow up pics they like makes it all worthwhile. But seriously, i guess its a to each his own thing.

Maybe e only thing worth considering, like wat u said, money doesn't drop from the tree...wat it is that ur current set-up can't do that the new item can? It is worth the purchase...

Well, i did 10 days with onli the d70, kit lens and 2 batteries.. no charger, no camera bag no nothing.. and would i do it again.. u bet i will :)

Tetrode said:
I'd spend the money on a trip overseas and use the equipment you already own to capture sights and experiences that you can't in Singapore. ;)

Agree!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

if you are satisfied how the D70 performs for you. the next step is to invest in good lenses.

optics is the most forgotten aspect of the camera system as most photogs tend to look at the latest body ;p and forget it is the optics that makes the photo great aside from your creative eye.

and since you already own film camera with manual lenses, look into FF lens instead of DX to have usage in film and digital. yes, they cost more but in the long run you save when FF digital bodies are available.

or maybe look into a good flash unit if you intend to do flash photography.

personally i think the D70 is an adequate performer for general and event photography. a compact camera in the hands of a good photographer will also take very good photos.

Get a 28-70 to use with your D70.

$2.5 to $3K can buy u a few good prime lenses, let me see, 20mm, 85mm, 105micro, still got loose change for filters...

Hi, to offer u a real honest advice, I suggest u spend it on a trip instead. Instead of travelling in comfort, u might wanna squeeze it on a backpack trip. Yes, lens and bodies are here to stay but ask urself, anything that ur current set can't do? I spent wat i was saving for a 10day trip to vietnam and i must say, its more worth then getting any lens or stuffs. the experience of the country, sharing experiences with fellow backpackers, dining and travelling with them and friends asking if they can blow up pics they like makes it all worthwhile. But seriously, i guess its a to each his own thing.

Maybe e only thing worth considering, like wat u said, money doesn't drop from the tree...wat it is that ur current set-up can't do that the new item can? It is worth the purchase...

Well, i did 10 days with onli the d70, kit lens and 2 batteries.. no charger, no camera bag no nothing.. and would i do it again.. u bet i will

Haizz, I do intend to go for a holiday(don't where yet). Just that I have set aside some $ for betta camera or lenses mah........

I been to IndonChina....Just those days I neglected the company of camera. :embrass:

Seriously, you do need a combination of betta cam and lenses to get betta results(larger prints) right? After all, you only get to see a particular moment only once.

That's why I decide to aim for something 'worthy' in terms of value/quality and yes memories.

I agree a holiday is worth more than the equipments.....but if one is to go the distance. Surely, D70 is just a start ......:sweat:
Hope I don't flame anyone here.......

Initially, I saw the pricing of D200 which is another Aud1k plus after selling off the D70 tempted me a great deal. That's why I post the questions on which is the best way to go if one decide to upgrade his photography equipments.

Mind you, this hobby ain't cheap......I started off with Fujifilm S7000Z then D70...since then I collected F-301, N2000, FM, F, F2 F-401s and N6000 and Minolta 9000 and SRT101.....Not to mentioned 6 50mms lens, 300mm Ais, 135mm non ai, 35-70mm, D70kitlens, 70-300mm G, 90mm macro.....till a set of darkroom stuffs.

Enough of the amateurish buying/collecting frenzy ;( .......now I just want to scale down to a few worthy pieces for easier maintenance and betta results too.

or maybe look into a good flash unit if you intend to do flash photography.

Currently, using SB-800 and SB-22.

Get a 28-70 to use with your D70.

Not wide enough lah :mad2: 28mm x 1.5 become 42mm liao ley :cry:

$2.5 to $3K can buy u a few good prime lenses, let me see, 20mm, 85mm, 105micro, still got loose change for filters...

Thanks Astin :) If go for lenses...most likely 20mm liao....it can be used on both digital and film lor. Selling off the kitlens is almost enough for me to pay off this prime liao. Then with 50mm and 80-200mm ..can roughly covered most purposes liao.

But once the 20mm used on digital bodies, is the lens(now 30mm) wide enough to cover landscape photography boh?

Really hard for me to think ......this was my initial idea......sell off the D70, then top up the $ to D200 and spare the change on 12-24 DX and keep the AFD 50mm only.....but then I miss out the sharpness and quality of the film. :( But how can film really last with the speedy progress of digital bodies ley?
:complain:

Not wide? Hmmm very good excuse to skip the range :sticktong

Benign said:
Haizz, I do intend to go for a holiday(don't where yet). Just that I have set aside some $ for betta camera or lenses mah........

I been to IndonChina....Just those days I neglected the company of camera. :embrass:

Seriously, you do need a combination of betta cam and lenses to get betta results(larger prints) right? After all, you only get to see a particular moment only once.

That's why I decide to aim for something 'worthy' in terms of value/quality and yes memories.

I agree a holiday is worth more than the equipments.....but if one is to go the distance. Surely, D70 is just a start ......:sweat:
Hope I don't flame anyone here.......

Initially, I saw the pricing of D200 which is another Aud1k plus after selling off the D70 tempted me a great deal. That's why I post the questions on which is the best way to go if one decide to upgrade his photography equipments.

Mind you, this hobby ain't cheap......I started off with Fujifilm S7000Z then D70...since then I collected F-301, N2000, FM, F, F2 F-401s and N6000 and Minolta 9000 and SRT101.....Not to mentioned 6 50mms lens, 300mm Ais, 135mm non ai, 35-70mm, D70kitlens, 70-300mm G, 90mm macro.....till a set of darkroom stuffs.

Enough of the amateurish buying/collecting frenzy ;( .......now I just want to scale down to a few worthy pieces for easier maintenance and betta results too.

Erm...looks like you've already got a whole heap of good equipment there. If you are not getting the results you think you should be getting; then the problem lies elsewhere.

Stick with your current setup and improve from there. The only time you upgrade to a higher end equipment is when you really need too.

For example if you are a Landscape photographer, it's a good investment on wider angle lenses.

For close-ups go for macro.

For sports and people, mid to long range telephotos.

And so on.....

AF 14mm f/2.8D ED

:what: one lens to kill all my choices......good one ! It is about the same price as a D200 body

Stick with your current setup and improve from there. The only time you upgrade to a higher end equipment is when you really need too.

For example if you are a Landscape photographer, it's a good investment on wider angle lenses.

For close-ups go for macro.

For sports and people, mid to long range telephotos.

And so on.....

Agreed, don't want to be a jack of all trades and master of none......:sweat:
But which one to go for ley?

it's always nice to buy something new. i'm also like that once a while when the buying bug gets to me. but after looking here and there... the bug will eventually leave you.

since you have already got a good camera (i.e., D70), might as well stick to it and maybe get some solid glass to compliment it. if you are gonna get the D200;

* will you be using the features which you don't get them on the D70 all the time?
* will you be handicapped in a way with the D70?
* will it constrain your creativity?
* will the lust for D200 tear at your mind every second of your life?

if your answer is No to all the above... spend your money elsewhere (like what others recommended).

2 lens I would suggest.

17-35/2.8 & 85/1.4 would be a good range. Best if can get all in the 2nd hand market.

TMC said:
2 lens I would suggest.

17-35/2.8 & 85/1.4 would be a good range. Best if can get all in the 2nd hand market.

Wah lau......that would be nearly $4000 brand new......second hand also about $3000K plus......:sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.