After D70....... then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smalltake

Oct 10, 2006
Up North......
What would be a natural progression moving on from owning a D70 setup? Any comments guy?

Am looking at D200......... good choice? I will still be staying with Nikon. Appreciate advice from the seniors here........ need to do some plannning. Thanks. ;)

Why not D80? :) GOOOOoood :thumbsup: :lovegrin:

D40 :bsmilie:

Hi there, I have a pretty similar set-up from yours (less the longer zoom). I was using a D70s before buying a D80. Thought of going for the D200 but decided against it given the price difference between that and the D80. Used the money to buy air tickets to Sydney instead.

Main reason I bought the D80 was not so much for an upgrade, but to get another body as there are two users in my household. Was wondering if I should have gotten the D200 - the main reasons are:

1. the more "pro" feel than the D80 (better functions, better controls etc.)
2. the "overexposure" issue on the D80
3. Magnesium alloy body, more hardy, better sealed than the D80
3. the "must buy better and better equipment syndrome".

The main reasons for getting the D80 were:

1. price (almost as good a feature set for a lot less $$$)
2. size - the D80 is even smaller and lighter than the D70s; given the fact that I travel a lot, this was a big consideration.

No regrets now. But if I had the spare cash, I would have gotten the D200. Right now, I am thinking of keeping the D80 until the D200 update comes out in a couple of year time. I would probably get that and keep the D80 as a compact travelling SLR

i bought a D80 to replace my D70 as main camera

if you don't use the 5fps and ability to shoot in sandstorms (weather seals)
then get the D80 instead

D80 gets my vote. :thumbsup:

S5 pro if you don mind a "sluggish" camera. :thumbsup:

What would be a natural progression moving on from owning a D70 setup? Any comments guy?

Am looking at D200......... good choice? I will still be staying with Nikon. Appreciate advice from the seniors here........ need to do some plannning. Thanks. ;)

The D200 is an idea. But going by your signature, you may wanna rethink about that. Coz seriously, unless your D70 is going on the fritz and in a condition which may go kaput anytime, I'd rather you invest in more glass, the good ones... 17-35 or 17-55 perhaps... ;)

I tot he saY he wanted to contiune with nikon? n i thimk its better to staY nikon as he already hav the lens...
at least S5 share the same Nikon mount. :bsmilie:

What don't you ask yourself what is it that you can't do with the D70? Why do you think its a "natural progression" to buy another camera? Answer those questions and you might not need a new camera at all.

I upgraded from D70s to D80 for the bigger LCD, more intuitive dials and control, 10mpix...
95% features of D200, half of its price. No regret.

Electronic stuff wont hold its price for long, so D200 price will drop once a newer product is launched. So no need a D200 unless you need 5 FPS.

What don't you ask yourself what is it that you can't do with the D70? Why do you think its a "natural progression" to buy another camera? Answer those questions and you might not need a new camera at all.

the natural tendency is most do not feel that their camera is inadequate, but wanted to know more about newer better cameras, and when they know why the newer cameras are better, they then feel their camera is inadequate.

certain things are always better. faster AF, longer battery power, larger viewfinder. and these are features in newer models nowadays.

in my own case, the only setback is the weight. i wanted the layout and features of the D200, but not the weight of it. i'm not sure if the layout and features of D80 is comparable to D200 though.... anyway, my D50 is still new and strong, so let it lives to its due age at least.... and i think i haven't fully understand my equipment yet, so no hurry in upgrading the kit.

I second the above.

i don't think you need a new camera, 10Mp doesn't mean better.
instead, you may want better/more glass for more creative freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.