After conning people, they are still worried about Prada and Gucci!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

weiconghon

Aug 20, 2006
http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_286194.html

Unbelievable! :angry: After conning people of their money, these bankers are still worried about maintaining their rich lifestyle.

To them I say, be happy with what you have for what you have is a result of what others have lost.

Extracts:
But now that she has a hefty mortgage on a new apartment in District 10, she is thinking of selling a few sparklers so that she can comfortably sustain her monthly loan payments, as well as her 'expensive addiction to Gucci and Prada'.

He has ditched plans to buy a BMW 7 to replace his Audi. He will also buy 'only second-hand watches' and 'not indulge in thousand-dollar wines now'. Hundred-dollar wines will do, he mused.

Not surprising, really.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_286194.html

Unbelievable! :angry: After conning people of their money, these bankers are still worried about maintaining their rich lifestyle.

To them I say, be happy with what you have for what you have is a result of what others have lost.

Extracts:
But now that she has a hefty mortgage on a new apartment in District 10, she is thinking of selling a few sparklers so that she can comfortably sustain her monthly loan payments, as well as her 'expensive addiction to Gucci and Prada'.

He has ditched plans to buy a BMW 7 to replace his Audi. He will also buy 'only second-hand watches' and 'not indulge in thousand-dollar wines now'. Hundred-dollar wines will do, he mused.

Please lah, why are you so absurd sounding as to suggest that all people who work in banks con people's money. Your statement suggests that you seriously have no idea what all of this subprime mortgage crisis has to do with Singapore and the people who work on banks here. Neither do you realise that there are many rich or almost rich people who live lavish lifestyles like as if it is a given. :thumbsd:

I said in a fit of anger. My statement seem sweeping. But I just can't stand those bankers who behave in this way. Retirees are losing their hard earned money and yet....

Maybe there are really kind angelic bankers who help people to invest their money diligently, go through all the risks in the prospectus and willing to take a small commissions for their good effort.

Life is like that. A once people are used to a certain kind of lifestyle, very hard for them to change. I also know of someone who always complain no money, but still must drive BMW and eat dinner at Tung Luk Restaurant.

But yeah, your statement is unfair lah. People are rich or poor depending on the cicumstances they are in. Not all the rich people get their money through immoral ways, so just because other people are poor, they shouldn't take it out on rich people. Which seems to be the case from the way you're writing.

Sorry, if I'm offending anyone. I'm just referring to some immoral bankers. I respect rich people who work hard in their business while remaining moral.

Last edited:
More often than not, people are rich and poor depending on their expectations.

Life is like that. A once people are used to a certain kind of lifestyle, very hard for them to change. I also know of someone who always complain no money, but still must drive BMW and eat dinner at Tung Luk Restaurant.

But yeah, your statement is unfair lah. People are rich or poor depending on the cicumstances they are in. Not all the rich people get their money through immoral ways, so just because other people are poor, they shouldn't take it out on rich people. Which seems to be the case from the way you're writing.

"Rich" is subjective to the lifestyle that you live.

I said in a fit of anger. My statement seem sweeping. But I just can't stand those bankers who behave in this way. Retirees are losing their hard earned money and yet....

Maybe there are really kind angelic bankers who help people to invest their money diligently, go through all the risks in the prospectus and willing to take a small commissions for their good effort.

Sorry bro, your impression that people's money has been swindled by bankers is totally wrong. The term 'Banker' is a general term for people who work in banks, it is not specific to what role or aspect of banking that person is in. Just because you read of some irresponsible sales people at banks selling investment trusts to retirees does not make everybody who works in banks bad. The newspaper article describes people who do not work in retail or consumer banking.

Sorry, if I'm offending anyone. I'm just referring to some immoral bankers. I respect rich people who work hard in their business while remaining moral.

Disclaimer added earlier on.

Some bankers need to have that lifestyle to get the customers. Its part of the job. They have to smarten up and live the same kind of lifestyle as their customers.

yes...i tend to agree with the TS. many bankers are; by the mere existance of the banking policy; out to (well, i wouldn't use the word con...but) suck ur wallet dry. case in point is the extremely low interest rates offered in singapore (maybe other places higher, or this is the highest in the entire world, i donno...) vis-a-vis the BLR. i mean...5% BLR vs 0.24% savings interest? (rates)
i mean, do they really take all that extra profit and not call it...profiteering? even investment interest are not higher than the lending rate...

my data maybe wrong, if so, forgive me. it is very hard to find jargon-free straight up reliable info on the net.

yes...i tend to agree with the TS. many bankers are; by the mere existance of the banking policy; out to (well, i wouldn't use the word con...but) suck ur wallet dry. case in point is the extremely low interest rates offered in singapore (maybe other places higher, or this is the highest in the entire world, i donno...) vis-a-vis the BLR. i mean...5% BLR vs 0.24% savings interest? (rates)
i mean, do they really take all that extra profit and not call it...profiteering? even investment interest are not higher than the lending rate...

my data maybe wrong, if so, forgive me. it is very hard to find jargon-free straight up reliable info on the net.

30% make ups are common in the everyday things you buy, why are you not making a fuss out of it?

the higher they climb, the harder they fall. nobody likes to fall, wadever the height. :rolleyes:

why do you begrudge people for being rich?

and not all bankers con people per se.

why do you begrudge people for being rich?

and not all bankers con people per se.

since when the TS is blasting all the bankers? its those in the article, dun come in here say all. :nono:

since when the TS is blasting all the bankers? its those in the article, dun come in here say all. :nono:

he assumed that every single banker in the article cons people.

based on his demographic, that's everyone in the article. as a representation sample of the population, is that not ALL the bankers? or is he a personal friend of all of them that he knows that he cons people?

you want to be pedantic? :bsmilie: or inane? :bsmilie:

Is this sour grapes at upper class singapore? :bsmilie:

Well.. The rich get taxed more, and progress packages goes out every so often :sticktong

Also..
The "rich" people you mentioned are those that earn alot, but also spend alot. Spend almost everything they make.

It's not surprising of those people only have 5 digits in the bank.

Well.. The rich get taxed more, and progress packages goes out every so often :sticktong

Also..
The "rich" people you mentioned are those that earn alot, but also spend alot. Spend almost everything they make.

It's not surprising of those people only have 5 digits in the bank.

Hmmm, for me, part of the definition of being rich is not how much money they have, but how big their spending powers are. :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.