AFS lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericulf

Aug 28, 2009
HI..

just want to know if my dslr has a af motor (d90) will purchasing afs lenses improve the quality of the pictures or is it just a waste of $$?

AF-S or AF-D doesnt define the image quality, it depends on how the lens is constructed, elements, coating etc..

but will it affect the photos? i mean if you compare with using a non afs lens..

i suggest you read up your manual dude. it's never a waste of money if you know what you want from the lenses working with such body. there's plenty of review threads on nikon and 3rd party lenses. each has its own merit. believe me, it'll helps a lot reading those. oh btw, a lens is just a part of the tool. you still have to understand the fundamentals of white balance,iso,metering,focusing,exposure and so forth prior to shooting.

i've migrated from PnS, prosumer and now DSLR. not to brag mate,but i've never touch those auto mode (scenery/landscape/macro/portraiture) coz these are available as a standard in digicam and prosumer and i've used it extensively. instead,toggle around with manual/programme or aperture/shutter priority. as you go along, you'll see what such cam is capable of. coz i'm using one and i'm still learning.

cheers
papajanggo33

but will it affect the photos? i mean if you compare with using a non afs lens..

Assuming that all other elements remain the same, the only difference is whether the camera body does the focusing or the lens. So the only thing affected is the autofocusing speed.

i'm using manual mode..

what i mean ish.. usually they say tt if your body has the af motors, you're able to use it with lens without af motors, unlike bodies with no af motors and hence need to purchase lens with af motors.

nikkor 50mm prime lens comes in af and af-s. so there be a diff in the turn out of the photos if i use it on d90?

Assuming that all other elements remain the same, the only difference is whether the camera body does the focusing or the lens. So the only thing affected is the autofocusing speed.
i see.. so the pictures will turn out the same? just the spd of the autofocusing differs?

i see.. so the pictures will turn out the same? just the spd of the autofocusing differs?

That's assuming there's no changes to the lens elements. But some newer-generation lenses may have improvements to sharpness or bokeh, etc. Best to read the lens reviews for details.

if u are comparing the nikkor AF-D 50 1.4 vs the AF-S 50 1.4, yes i believe there's a change in the optics and elements, therefore IQ would be different.

HI..

just want to know if my dslr has a af motor (d90) will purchasing afs lenses improve the quality of the pictures or is it just a waste of $$?

It depends, best is to reach up more on the lens u are interested and do an comparative anlaysis. (assuming u are comparing the likes of e.g. AFD vs AFS 50 1.4 ).

For the above example there;s a signifiant improvement in lens construction/elements and diaphragm for AFS which will render smoother bokeh and sharpness but lose out on AF etc..

HTH

well...if u can't focus in time...u'll get out of focus shots then. then there will be a diff.

i don't think there are 2 exactly same lens with and without afs to do a justifiable comparison on photo quality. the closest maybe is the 50mm 1.4d and afs 50 1.4G....even then there's more diffence between the 2 than afs to do comparison....

i don't think there are 2 exactly same lens with and without afs to do a justifiable comparison on photo quality. the closest maybe is the 50mm 1.4d and afs 50 1.4G....even then there's more diffence between the 2 than afs to do comparison....

Yah bro, tats what i thot too.. The other possibities could be 60mm and 105mm macro TS might be considering :)

HI..

The revision of lenses from AF to AFS often entails having newer optics / coatings as well. so indirectly yes. The AFS is more silent and faster ( except in some uncommon instance where the rotation distance of the AFS 50mm is longer and end up slightly slower than the AF 50mm )

Is that bit of difference worth the money ? U have to decide

ryan

Last edited:
The revision of lenses from AF to AFS often entails having newer optics / coatings as well. so indirectly yes. The AFS is more silent and faster ( except in some uncommon instance where the rotation distance of the AFS 50mm is longer and end up slightly slower than the AF 50mm )

Is that bit of difference worth the money ? U have to decide

ryan

Ehhh... not all AFS lenses are built with the same af motors. Some are definitely faster than others. And some are slower.

Ehhh... not all AFS lenses are built with the same af motors. Some are definitely faster than others. And some are slower.

Yea! I mean look at the AF-S 18-55 kit lens! It as slow as hell compared to the AF-D 50mm f/1.8. In terms of focusing speed, it's wise to read individual reviews instead of generalizing :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.