AFS and AF-1 autofocus on D40

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_lan

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Just read a review of the new D40 and i was thinking of getting it.

However, it states that it is only autofocus for AFS and AF-1 lenses.

What does this really mean?

I am a prosumer user and with this is it still recommended? or should i just invest a little bit more in a D50?

Yep. You cant use lens without AF-S.. if you use them.. I think have to use Manual focus.

Get the D50.. it is great... if u are pursuing a hobby. D40 is more to quality image from a point and shoot.

If you only consider 1st hand stuff.. and dont have budget D80.. u better get D50 fast because they are not going to bring in stock le i think.

Hi Guys,

Just read a review of the new D40 and i was thinking of getting it.

However, it states that it is only autofocus for AFS and AF-1 lenses.

What does this really mean?

I am a prosumer user and with this is it still recommended? or should i just invest a little bit more in a D50?

which review did you read ?

AFS / AFI / AFD all uses one mount. which is called F mount. you still can mount the lens and AF.

Unless its stated that you cannot meter with AI lens.

if the lens is labelled with AF, it should be able to AF.

nikon did not produce camera bodies that will only work with AFS lenses. its stupid !

because prime lenses like 50 1.8. 108DC. 85 1.8 all is AFD lenses.

so pRoLoS3r, are you telling me that the D40 cannot use these lenses ? gosh. i didnt know nikon was that stupid.....

which review did you read ?

AFS / AFI / AFD all uses one mount. which is called F mount. you still can mount the lens and AF.

Unless its stated that you cannot meter with AI lens.

if the lens is labelled with AF, it should be able to AF.

nikon did not produce camera bodies that will only work with AFS lenses. its stupid !

because prime lenses like 50 1.8. 108DC. 85 1.8 all is AFD lenses.

so pRoLoS3r, are you telling me that the D40 cannot use these lenses ? gosh. i didnt know nikon was that stupid.....

Eh... :sweat:

Glenn,

IT'S TRUE

The D40 only autofocus with either AF-S or AF-I lenses.. :sweat: This is done to reduce cost and weight on the camera body. And this camera was launched to target those PnS shooters who want better image quality. So those target audience wouldn't understand the image quality of a prime yet...

With those AF or AF-D lenses, they are still supported including matrix metering... Only no AF function as there is no motor on the body to turn the screw on the lens.

Eh... :sweat:

Glenn,

IT'S TRUE

The D40 only autofocus with either AF-S or AF-I lenses.. :sweat: This is done to reduce cost and weight on the camera body. And this camera was launched to target those PnS shooters who want better image quality. So those target audience wouldn't understand the image quality of a prime yet...

With those AF or AF-D lenses, they are still supported including matrix metering... Only no AF function as there is no motor on the body to turn the screw on the lens.

den nikon is really stupid this time. and i mean dumb stupid. :thumbsd:

den nikon is really stupid this time. and i mean dumb stupid. :thumbsd:

This is not for the normal DSLR shooters... We definitely won't go for such a camera. Mebbe for travels sake and simplicity only.

But this is aimed at those PnS shooters who want BETTER image quality out of the box. Biggest Jpeg file is only 2.6Mb. RAW is only 5Mb (which I guess they won't be using anyway)

And plus, these days, Nikon is pushing for more and more AF-S lenses, even the 105VR micro is AF-S...

So whose to say that mebbe in time, all their lenses will be changed to AF-S :dunno:

it is actually a very good idea

they did it to bring down the manufacturing costs
think about it, P&S owners do not change lens
all they need is the kit lens
which is AF-S
and if they want to go for the tele end
they will go for the

AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED

Status
Not open for further replies.