AFS 24-120mm F4 VR

IluvDYL

Sep 16, 2010
Hey guys, I'm currently considering if I should get the AFS 24-120mm F4 VR lens to be used on my D700. Having upgraded to FF makes my 17-35mm f2.8 not really useful for travelling. Hence looking for a new lens for my shanghai trip at end of year. 24-70mm f2.8 is too ex for now ><. And I think the VR feature will be very useful at night :)

I've done a search on my own and read many previous threads in CS about this lens, including looking at sample pics. However, number of sample pics is insufficient. Hence, I'm still not sure if I should get it. Is the colour and sharpness is on par with my AFS 17-35mm f2.8. I will greatly appreciate if any of you can post some shots by this lens with minimal pp. Thanks :)

Hi!

I just saw a new lens from Nikon which is 70-200mm F4. It is lighter but the price still unknown yet. If you can wait, it would be good to try. I believe this lens is better than what you are looking at, just my opinion only.

Hi!

I just saw a new lens from Nikon which is 70-200mm F4. It is lighter but the price still unknown yet. If you can wait, it would be good to try. I believe this lens is better than what you are looking at, just my opinion only.

Haha, I'm aware of that new lens. But, I'm actually just looking for a good travelling lens without the need to keep changing lens.

Oops! I'm sorry to see wrongly that you are looking at 70-200mm f2.8.

Hey guys, I'm currently considering if I should get the AFS 24-120mm F4 VR lens to be used on my D700. Having upgraded to FF makes my 17-35mm f2.8 not really useful for travelling. Hence looking for a new lens for my shanghai trip at end of year. 24-70mm f2.8 is too ex for now ><. And I think the VR feature will be very useful at night :)

I've done a search on my own and read many previous threads in CS about this lens, including looking at sample pics. However, number of sample pics is insufficient. Hence, I'm still not sure if I should get it. Is the colour and sharpness is on par with my AFS 17-35mm f2.8. I will greatly appreciate if any of you can post some shots by this lens with minimal pp. Thanks :)

17-35 is great for travel and landscapes.

24-120 is a great lens with a lot of compromises but still do reasonably well despite all that.

No perfect lens.

It's a good lens for traveling purpose. It's light & the range is good for almost everything u wanted to shoot.

:)

It's a good lens for traveling purpose. It's light & the range is good for almost everything u wanted to shoot.

Have you used it before? How's colour and sharpness compared to those 2k lens?

Have you used it before? How's colour and sharpness compared to those 2k lens?

Yeah, with me for a few months liao. Cannot really comment on those trinity zoom lens because I never owned before. But it's quite a good lens to me in term of sharpness & colour.

The good about this lens is the range and the weight no doubt that 2470 is excellent as what I had read a lot but the weight is going to kill u traveling with this lens.

I am looking for a walk around lens and found this thread. Still considering either 24-120mm or 28-300mm. May I know why 28-300mm is not even your choice? Are the sharpness and colors really distinguishable?

Thanks.

DeAlchemist said:
I am looking for a walk around lens and found this thread. Still considering either 24-120mm or 28-300mm. May I know why 28-300mm is not even your choice? Are the sharpness and colors really distinguishable?

Thanks.

I owned the 24-120/f4 before but sold it shortly after. Main reason is I couldn't accept the vignetting at the 24mm end. The distortion also bothered me. As a one lens for travel n walkabout, I hv since bought the AF-S 24-85mm/f3.5-4.5G VR. Image quality is comparable to the 24-120f4 but it's a lot more compact, much cheaper. I find this range very adequate. Sharpness/resolution n colour/contrast were great even when shot on a D800. Vignetting n distortion, though still present, is at a less annoying level.

Thanks.

I used to have a 70-300mm so never considered it. I find it's good enough.

Please do read up a good review here

http://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-24-120mm-f4g-vr

It is a sharp lens that is very comparable to professional lenses such as Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G and Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G VR II, yielding great results throughout its focal range. During my lab and field tests, my goal was to see how well it performs against the Nikon 24-70mm lens, since many readers have been asking about it (I also wanted to find out for myself, whether I should be looking at potentially replacing my 24-70mm or adding it to my bag for travel and everyday use). After shooting with this lens for about 3 weeks and capturing over 1,800 images, I can say that the lens exceeds my expectations and I found it to be more useful than my favorite Nikon 24-70mm lens not only due to longer focal range, but also due to Vibration Reduction that is extremely useful for low-light situations. I managed to get sharp images hand-held while shooting at extremely slow shutter speeds of 1/2 seconds at 24mm – try that with the Nikon 24-70mm!

Read more at PhotographyLife.com: http://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-24-120mm-f4g-vr#ixzz2ASlh8L6N

Yeah, with me for a few months liao. Cannot really comment on those trinity zoom lens because I never owned before. But it's quite a good lens to me in term of sharpness & colour.

The good about this lens is the range and the weight no doubt that 2470 is excellent as what I had read a lot but the weight is going to kill u traveling with this lens.

Funny, I am still alive, and so are many people I know still alive. We travel with the 24-70. Anything else would be a compromise that none of us are willing to do.