Affordable multipurpose film

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon

Mar 12, 2004
CCK
Hi all,

I've just started shooting film (only 2 rolls so far :embrass: )
Been using film sparingly mainly because of the cost (film itself and developing). Mostly I use my prosumer digicam first then if I like the results, then I use my film SLR.

What I would like to know is what film would you recommend for me?
My usage would mostly be street (day), outdoor model (day), buildings and landscape (day/night).
I also rarely use flash (dun have external, only the built in one)

So my criteria would be affordable (sounds nicer than "cheap" :embrass: ), versatile (suitable for many situations), and of course acceptable quality (dun need to be best quality, just as long as it is not bad)

If possible, could you guys let me know the price and where to get your recommended film as well ;)

Thanks a lot in advance.... :)

Fuji superia 200... a color film that works for practically everything i have in mind! You can buy these anywhere, and also in economy-packs of like 4 rolls...
Probably TriX or Tmax for black-whites, but they'll cost you a bomb to develop... better to use TCN.

tingchiyen said:
Fuji superia 200... a color film that works for practically everything i have in mind! You can buy these anywhere, and also in economy-packs of like 4 rolls...
Probably TriX or Tmax for black-whites, but they'll cost you a bomb to develop... better to use TCN.

How about Kodak Gold 200? are these any good?? :think:

Apart from Fuji Superia 200, you may also want to try Kodak High Definition 200 as well. There're slightly more expensive than Fuji film, but the results are better... well, at least it looks better to me! ;)

As for black and white, do consider developing your own film. They are more economical than sending to labs... furthermore, b/w films are also quite cheap!

Fuji supreria 200 is my 'default' film in the camera. It's really a compromise between speed and grain, but I've been quite happy with it so far.

thanks pple for the reccomendation,

For those who usually scan their negatives after developing, care to share how much is the cost (develop + scan + cd, no printing) and what is the resolution?

Obvious: Fuji Reala. I have heard good things about Superia. Anyway, Don't waste your money on 200 speed emulsions. The grain is no better than good 400 speeds but you lose 1 stop. ASA 100 films are so good that you need not bother with the 1 stop gain. The conspiracy theory is that Professionals use either ASA 100 or 400 and hence kodak and fuji have improved the quality of these emulsions and ASA 200 emulsions have been left behind in terms of technology... Something to think over... hmm...

Anyway, go with reala. I'd use it anyday when light is reasonably enough.

RemAcuTetigisti said:
Obvious: Fuji Reala. I have heard good things about Superia. Anyway, Don't waste your money on 200 speed emulsions. The grain is no better than good 400 speeds but you lose 1 stop. ASA 100 films are so good that you need not bother with the 1 stop gain. The conspiracy theory is that Professionals use either ASA 100 or 400 and hence kodak and fuji have improved the quality of these emulsions and ASA 200 emulsions have been left behind in terms of technology... Something to think over... hmm...

Anyway, go with reala. I'd use it anyday when light is reasonably enough.

Operational word here is 'affordable'....

justarius said:
Operational word here is 'affordable'....
Justarius: agreed... Reala costs $7+- a roll...

I wouldn't recommend kodak gold, i personally feel they don't do colors any justice... fuji still seems spot-on where colors are concerned.

I bet to differ ... I used to use superias, but somehow got a bit irritated by the "too vibrant" colours...

Kodak Gold 200 gives much more natural and soothing colours, but its on the warm side.

Anyway, both are pretty good, so you can't go wrong with either one. Just buy one each and try it out yourself. That's one of the fun thing about using film :)

Kodak is a bit more expensive though.. Ard $3.20 at CP?

depends...the superia works better for me than gold...did the switch some time back..

Brandon said:
How about Kodak Gold 200? are these any good?? :think:

gold 200 is fine. Superia 200 is great too (and cheap). trying out Kodak HD, colours ok, but imho, it doesn't justify the higher price over gold 200 or superia.

Hmm, I guess I will try both (superia and gold)

If I use fuji, does it mean I should only develop at Fuji's lab, and similarly for Kodak??

As for scanning from negative, have any of you tried at any of these labs (usual kodak photo finish or fuji labs found in malls)? How is their rate and result? How mani dpi resolution?

I hope you guys can bear with my barrage of questions :embrass:

Thanks again for all the inputs so far, really appreciate it :thumbsup:

All color negative film uses the C-41 development process, so techically it shouldn't matter which lab you go to. More importantly is the minilab operator instead as he/she is the one who does all the subtle corrections to exposure and colour.

If you prefer Fujifilm labs, look for those that sports the Fujifilm Digital Imaging (FDI) signs--they use the digital Frontier machines that is their top-end series.

I have no idea about Kodak labs. My regular lab is an FDI lab so no chance to check them out. My fav lab (Grace Digital; go search the forum) scans the files at standard 4-base resolution, 1840 x 1232 x 72dpi JPEG. 16-base will cost much more.

And oh, forget about using Kodak MAX 400, if nobody has told you yet. Go with Fujifilm Superia; you won't go wrong. I've been a loyal user of Kodak MAX 400 but since making the switch a few months back, have no regrets.

Oh come on on prices. I think the money spent on Reala or superia is extremely worth it. I would put my money on these fuji emulsions anyday. Well why don't you work out the costs vs quality and make a decision. Fuji Films printed on Fuji Frontiers, are touted to be state of the art in color rendition today. If I am correct, many good labs here have frontiers. I usually do my processing at the fuji lab in Adelphi and am very happy with their service.

As Ah Pao mentions, I too do not have any experiences with kodak labs. a couple of dollars on your film is very less when you compare the entire cost of post processing and at this time, I would still stand by Reala as a sensible / cost effective choice.

Ah Pao said:
All color negative film uses the C-41 development process, so techically it shouldn't matter which lab you go to. More importantly is the minilab operator instead as he/she is the one who does all the subtle corrections to exposure and colour.

If you prefer Fujifilm labs, look for those that sports the Fujifilm Digital Imaging (FDI) signs--they use the digital Frontier machines that is their top-end series.

I have no idea about Kodak labs. My regular lab is an FDI lab so no chance to check them out. My fav lab (Grace Digital; go search the forum) scans the files at standard 4-base resolution, 1840 x 1232 x 72dpi JPEG. 16-base will cost much more.

And oh, forget about using Kodak MAX 400, if nobody has told you yet. Go with Fujifilm Superia; you won't go wrong. I've been a loyal user of Kodak MAX 400 but since making the switch a few months back, have no regrets.

Kodak Labs uses Noritsu Machines ...... I guess I am a odd ball, I preferred Superia 200 (hey for 8.30 for 3 at Cathay ..... hehehe .... can't get cheaper than that, about $2.75 per roll) printed on a Noritsu machine ..... Frontier is good, but alas ..... the output definitely shows that it is a laser printed output :D .......

My place 2xFuji200 sells at $7.60, process @ grace cost $3, scan to CDR $2.50.
Per roll shoot cost is will be $8

If I want cheap and good film, it's always Superia 200 or 400. These are the best films I've used in this price range. I usually pick up a 3-pack from cathay at $8.30.

Status
Not open for further replies.