Affordable Digital camera that can film greater than 30 minute clips . Can the GX9 do it?

feicai

Jun 29, 2021
Hi. I'm a newbie here.

Does anybody know of a digital camera that can shoot longer than 30 minute clips that is affordable?

I was thinking of getting a Panasonic GX9. I've read that in the US, the GX9 can defintely shoot longer than 30 minutes(of course depending on the memory card). But I also read that there maybe limits in the EU/UK version.

Thanking all in advance.

i think you need to further define whats your budget range. 'Affordable' is too vague.
Do you need HD or 4K recording?
Many cameras can shoot longer than 30mins video these days, but battery endurance may not last that long.
Or perhaps some will tend to overheat and shutdown well before 30mins, all depending on operating environment.

Like you mentioned, some of the limits are due to country import regulations, but for some manufacturers, there are independent 3rd party firmware hacks or mod developments to get rid of the 30mins limit...

i think you need to further define whats your budget range. 'Affordable' is too vague.
Do you need HD or 4K recording?
Many cameras can shoot longer than 30mins video these days, but battery endurance may not last that long.
Or perhaps some will tend to overheat and shutdown well before 30mins, all depending on operating environment.

Like you mentioned, some of the limits are due to country import regulations, but for some manufacturers, there are independent 3rd party firmware hacks or mod developments to get rid of the 30mins limit...

Thanks.

I suppose by affordable, around the $500 mark. I know the action cameras can do it, but Im looking more at compacts. Not DSLR type. A lot of the websites talk about panasonic GX85(I suppose the USA version).

Some of the models have on camera charging, so can plug in a powerbank and then battery issues are not a problem. Just hardware restrictions and overheating, I suppose is the issue and memory card.

Thanks.

I suppose by affordable, around the $500 mark. I know the action cameras can do it, but Im looking more at compacts. Not DSLR type. A lot of the websites talk about panasonic GX85(I suppose the USA version).

Some of the models have on camera charging, so can plug in a powerbank and then battery issues are not a problem. Just hardware restrictions and overheating, I suppose is the issue and memory card.

I hope you have found your camera but I doubt it as your budget of less than or equal to $500, but most important criteria is it can record over 30 minutes or longer. Well now you can, canon R7 and R10 apsc sensors have no limit but it costs 2k and 1.3k respectively for body only.

So for under $500 it will have to be a camcorder. As you would have discovered most camera retail stores don't carry such cameras as even manufacturers would promote their mirrorless offerings. Nevertheless camcorders which technically are mirrorless is still alive in the broadcasting TV industry but the cameras are expensive because it's for professional use some on average cost over $10k but the are prosumer models and even cheap entry level ones or you can buy used are available. Here is one from Sony, HDR - CX405 which is on promotion for $399 , which is still listed on Cathay photo and Sony showroom. It is basic but still allow some manual control like white balance, aperture ( iris ) and iso ( gain ) but not full manual but any 2 out of 3. Image stabalised but not the best and basic autofocus which is fast as proven in the videos below. Note the video is shot by an experienced photographer/ videographer probably on a tripod even when zooming in to 20X which is 600mm equivalent. There is another video is is handheld which is more realistic in that sense for run and gun shooting.

How cx405 perform at full auto.
@13:58

Handheld cx405 hd vs 4k ax43 which has internal gimbal built in.
Note he is not pro shooter. Also understand most zoom lenses are soft at the short and
long end of the zoom.

cx405 file processing tip. While MP4 is not high quality , camera records in avchd by default which most video software don't or recognise it however has a canon format called xavc -s which has a MP4 file extension which allow video editing software to easily process. Select this xavc -s before shooting to make life easier.

Sony high resolution professionnal xavc formats introduction.

Last edited: