AFD 50mm 1.8 w/ D40

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamiru

Mar 20, 2007
Hi guys,

as u know we need to manual focus when using AFD 50mm 1.8 on a D40. But what is the best way to achieve sharp focus?

Think this has been discuss already :sweat:

But anyway, there is a little green dot in the Viewfinder that'll relay to you when the subject is sharp and in focus. However, i don't look at it much since i'll have you take my eyes off the subject to see it! Ultimately, it boils down to practice ;)

Think this has been discuss already :sweat:

But anyway, there is a little green dot in the Viewfinder that'll relay to you when the subject is sharp and in focus. However, i don't look at it much since i'll have you take my eyes off the subject to see it! Ultimately, it boils down to practice ;)

And patient photog and subjects....

Like Daedalus mentioned, look for the dot in your viewfinder as you rotate your focus ring.
It may seems slow and difficult at first, but with more practice, you will get the hang of it.

Hi guys,

as u know we need to manual focus when using AFD 50mm 1.8 on a D40. But what is the best way to achieve sharp focus?

It's best to use a better-quality focusing screen (e.g. from focusingscreen.com or Katzeye) coupled with a habit of first focusing then recomposing - needs practice, for sure! The "green dot" technique is good for starting out with manual focus lenses on the D40 but eventually, you'll realize that it's far from infallible, and your eye judging the image on a good microprism screen or split-prism screen (third-party screens referred to above) is FAR better!
Good Luck with a superb combination of body and lens!

Too bad D40 doesn't have rangefinder like D60 which tells you how to focus your lens... :D

MF takes lots of practice...

split focus screen do help mf, i just got one for my d80 ^_^

Like Daedalus mentioned, look for the dot in your viewfinder as you rotate your focus ring.
It may seems slow and difficult at first, but with more practice, you will get the hang of it.

i tried to find the green dot but couldn't find it. Any description to show its location?

Status
Not open for further replies.