AF540FGZ is stuck again...

Francis Lee

Sep 11, 2004
Tampines
www.facebook.com
This is the 2nd time it happened to me while I'm on job. The flash auto zoom stuck at 16mm & simply refused to set itself 'correctly' accordingly to the focal length of the lens.

While switch on, it gave a continuous clicking sound for 3-4 seconds before LCD is display while its zoom position is stuck at 16mm setting & blinking.

I sent it to kelvin for servicing & he said that this is a common problem of flash... (? Hmmm, my 2nd encounter this far using flashes throughout my career.) I gently tapped on its head when it was stuck last week & it work!(silly though... :D) but not anymore now...

Am I the only one having this problem?

The flash zoom stuck problem happened to my AF540 flash 2.5 years ago...

The flash zoom stuck at 16mm and locking pin stuck in hotshoe are the 2 common problems on AF540 flash. So far, both problems had occured on my AF540 before.

mine too got stuck during my company board of director shoot but fortunately only left few. can't remember whether my zoom got stuck too but the flash still fire but couldn't sync with my camera so everything is underexpose. (in fact it's the second time for my flash liao, first time still under the former distributor so they managed to fixed it locally)
this time under emjay Kelvin have to send it back to japan which took more then 2 months cos they changed the whole circuit board but fortunately still under warranty.
so if u r serious bout flash best it's to get a backup.

Mine works okay so far, but the lock pin stuck in the camera once. Had to ask Kevin to take the flash off. After that, I just glue the lock pin in the flash, never used the lock pin anymore. So far so good after about 4 years' of use.

Mine works okay so far, but the lock pin stuck in the camera once. Had to ask Kevin to take the flash off. After that, I just glue the lock pin in the flash, never used the lock pin anymore. So far so good after about 4 years' of use.

Looks like a very good solution to the lock pin issue.

:thumbsup:

I don't know how to fix it so removed the pin totally from the flash.

Probably the 360 is a less problematic flash afterall, except for the inability to swivel...

I have 2 units AF540FGZ and both have not encounter the problem. Touch wood.:)

im having the same problem too and i dont have warranty..

how much would it cost to fix it at Emjay?

its so annoying.

thx

im having the same problem too and i dont have warranty..

how much would it cost to fix it at Emjay?

its so annoying.

thx

Why not bring it to Emjay for a quote? Don't think it'd cost a lot to repair unless our Kevin can't do it :)

mine also suffered the same fate as yours and i had to send to kelvin to repair. unfortunately he still have to send back to japan which will take some time.

MIne... finally gave in. Have it send back to Japan last week to have its' circuit board change... easily in $$ hundreds...

that is not good news at all. =(

Went back to Emjay to collect the flash (sent to japan & back) today. The cost is is a hefty S$380 & i decided to let it die... while the 2 older models still firing without missing a beat.

After considering all the feed-backs that I've gotten here, seeing beyond Pentax is a safer bet.

S$380??? Haiz...

$380....ouch.

like above said, can buy a new flash.