AF200S Flash can be use on kx ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngkmboy

Nov 8, 2009
Northern Woods
Hi Seniors

Im newbie, pardon me if this above question (or similar) was asked before.

Because i was told the same flash could be used on K10D (like kx, also support pttl, not ttl), by setting the mode to flash sync mode (X mode on K10D dial).
Anyway, i can't find flash sync mode on kx...

So was confused now if non-pttl flash can be used on kx.. :dunno:

wa.......upgrading to be a "flasher" now.....opps...."strobies" is the polictically correct word.

The X mode doesn't seem to do much other than to set shutter speed to 1/180s
Any flash that can be fit on the hotshoe and be triggered by the center pin can be used... but you might want to be careful using a flash meant for film cameras which can trigger very high voltages that may fry todays DSLRs.

The Pentax AF200S is an old flash originally made for M series Pentax film cameras. GN 20 (ISO 100/m) It will work with on your K-x but:

1) Camera will only trigger the flash but will not control it (i.e. no P-TTL, no TTL).
2) Flash only has manual and 2 auto settings.
The auto setting uses the light sensor at the front of the flash to regulate the flash power.
You'll need to set to preferred aperture on the camera. Better than guessing the flash to subject distance manually using the Guide Number.

Since we are on the topic of flash...

During Xmas eve my coy had xmas lunch in office and we had a shoot-the-event contest and everyone brought their enormous DSLRs... FF and all... Canons and Nikons... my K-x garnered the most attention thanks to its colour... haha...

Ok the main point.... I haven't purchased any external flash... so when i took the pictures with the pop-up flash... it is not that bright and the picture didnt turn out as good...

With tat experience, I'm thinking to purchase an external flash... Other than Pentax 360 and 540... is there any other cheaper alternative for k-x?? Hopefully with swivel becos when shooting portraits can bounce the flash off the ceiling...

During Xmas eve my coy had xmas lunch in office and we had a shoot-the-event contest and everyone brought their enormous DSLRs... FF and all... Canons and Nikons... my K-x garnered the most attention thanks to its colour... haha...

Ok the main point.... I haven't purchased any external flash... so when i took the pictures with the pop-up flash... it is not that bright and the picture didnt turn out as good...

With tat experience, I'm thinking to purchase an external flash... Other than Pentax 360 and 540... is there any other cheaper alternative for k-x?? Hopefully with swivel becos when shooting portraits can bounce the flash off the ceiling...

sigma DG 530 Super...

You can check here
http://pttl.mattdm.org/
:)

For $39 more, I bought an original Pentax AF540FGZ.

Last edited:
For $39 more, I bought an original Pentax AF540FGZ.

Oh really? I was quoted $439 @ Manly... so where did u get the price for Pentax 540?

Oh really? I was quoted $439 @ Manly... so where did u get the price for Pentax 540?

$439 for Pentax AF540FGZ? That is very good price. If i need one i will just grab it.:)

Sorry ..I know this is really side-track from the thread.

Can the third part lens like Sigma 530 DG Super do P-TTL. Similar to the Pentax flash?

Edit: Ignore this question...saw the answer from the link in the earlier post

Last edited:
$439 for Pentax AF540FGZ? That is very good price. If i need one i will just grab it.:)

No la $439 for Sigma 530 Super la...

Hmm... flowerpot is right. I'm looking at the Tin Cheung website and at the Sigma 530 DG Super, HK$1837.50 + HK$173.14 shipping. which comes round to ~$365

I was thinking of seeing if anyone wants to combine shipping, but will probably incur GST though so many not worth it.

Now resisting the temptation to enter my credit card info...

Last edited:
Hmm... flowerpot is right. I'm looking at the Tin Cheung website and at the Sigma 530 DG Super, HK$1837.50 + HK$173.14 shipping. which comes round to ~$365

I was thinking of seeing if anyone wants to combine shipping, but will probably incur GST though so many not worth it.

Now resisting the temptation to enter my credit card info...

lets start a mass order....i think many people want a good flash...this will save shipping cost

i don't mind participating in it :D
not looking for a flash, but if i can get a good one at a lower price, why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.