AF speed of 16-35mm f/4 VR

raymond350

Mar 19, 2006
North East
www.flickr.com
I have read from a lot of websites which commented the AF speed of the above lens is very fast. However, I personally find it so-so only.

For example, looking at the focus distance window, you can see the "markings" turning rather slowly from say infinity to around 0.3m when focusing under daylight condition, instead of snapping to it immediately.

Can't find anyone else on the internet commenting on the rather slow AF. Any users of the lens care to comment on the AF speed?

I have read from a lot of websites which commented the AF speed of the above lens is very fast. However, I personally find it so-so only.

For example, looking at the focus distance window, you can see the "markings" turning rather slowly from say infinity to around 0.3m when focusing under daylight condition, instead of snapping to it immediately.

Can't find anyone else on the internet commenting on the rather slow AF. Any users of the lens care to comment on the AF speed?

The sluggish AF speed of the 16-35mm doesn't bother me, been using it for quite some time now... if you need a fast AF in an UWA lens - then the AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8D is the one for you. :thumbsup:

Its not a problem to me too, i use it to take scene so its more then enough :)

With exception of the nikon trinity lenses and their fast telephotos, the new AF-S lenses tend to favor focus accuracy over raw speed. I own a copy of this lens and the focusing speed is sufficient. :)

Thanks for the replies. Well it seems that the AF speed is indeed rather sluggish. Wonder why almost all reviews say that it is "very fast".