AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200 f2.8G IF-ED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Dawn

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore
www.5stonesphoto.com
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the development of a new lens, the AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED.

This new lens is being developed as the first truly compact, lightweight AF-S Zoom-Nikkor lens to offer the VR (Vibration Reduction) function.

photo_afsvr70-200.jpg

For more information, see here

*sigh* Anyone interested in a brand new Nikkor 80-200f/2.8 AFS lens?

:D

Originally posted by Darren
*sigh* Anyone interested in a brand new Nikkor 80-200f/2.8 AFS lens?

:D

Haha!

Anyone else notice the other new lens - 24-85f/3.5 AFS - an interesting update.

Looks like Nikon will be releasing more value AFS-type lenses in future ... yippee!!

Brother, Canon have traditionally spoilt its customers with USM lens and wide range of IS lens. Only our Nikon brudders suffer in the dessert, so a drop of water will set them all excited :D

errr..... if i may add in my 2rupiahs worth ... up to now, Canon's USM offering for the "consumer" type lenses have been the MOTOR-type USM, without Full-Time-Manual.

Only a few, arguably more expensive lenses, have the ring-type USM that allows FTM - the one that comes to mind is the 28-135 IS USM.

From the specs, seems that the Nikkor lenses offer AFS with FTM in a "consumer" class zoom... :D ... sometimes later is better ...

let the flames begin ......

go go nikon !!!!

I guess now nikon will really leave CAnon in the dust hehehe....

lets the flames begin ! :p

Hmmm.... I tell you what, this is one lens I'm going to have to own... since I will actually be able to afford it. What bugs me is that they've made it a G lens...

The 70-200 is a "DEVELOPMENT ANNOUCEMENT". It's going to be like the VR 80-400.. announced in '99, released in '01. :p

The 24-85 looks really cheapo. I'll wait and read for the lens reviews by actual photographers first (as opposed to people who shoot resolution charts and newspapers. :p).

Originally posted by YSLee
The 70-200 is a "DEVELOPMENT ANNOUCEMENT". It's going to be like the VR 80-400.. announced in '99, released in '01. :p

The 24-85 looks really cheapo. I'll wait and read for the lens reviews by actual photographers first (as opposed to people who shoot resolution charts and newspapers. :p).

G lens what. But if it's optically good and relatively cheap......

Regards
CK

Originally posted by Darren

From the specs, seems that the Nikkor lenses offer AFS with FTM in a "consumer" class zoom... :D ... sometimes later is better ...

let the flames begin ......

u mean it took Nikon engineers that long to figure that out? ouch ;p

and i'm not talking about putting VR and AFS together yet :)

Shadus is right (in its own funny way). Canon users have all been spoilt - USM in most lenses, Full time manual focus even in consumer models, IS even in cheaper models, cheaper L lenses compared with their AFS equivalents etc etc......Canon users have it all where lens choices are concerned - even exotic ones like 200 f1.8L, 24 f1.4L, 35 f1.4L.

Nikon is just now only catching up :)

wah....flammable....:rbounce:

Originally posted by rueyloon
go go nikon !!!!

I guess now nikon will really leave CAnon in the dust hehehe....

lets the flames begin ! :p

hehe :)......we'll see wat Canon announces at PMA.

oh btw the 70-200 f2.8L IS USM and all the USM / IS lenses are already sitting on shelves today and selling. Who's chasing who? ;p

Originally posted by Red Dawn

Shadus is right (in its own funny way). Canon users have all been spoilt - USM in most lenses, Full time manual focus even in consumer models, IS even in cheaper models, cheaper L lenses compared with their AFS equivalents etc etc......Canon users have it all where lens choices are concerned - even exotic ones like 200 f1.8L, 24 f1.4L, 35 f1.4L.

Exactly why Canon users should have no excuse to not be churning out better pictures than us poor Nikon users! So that would make all Canon users who only take the same quality pictures as their Nikon counterparts worse photographers too, cause the Nikon guys have to do it with inferior gear!

And Canon users haven't been spoilt. They are spoilt!

Honestly though... Nikon might be lagging in the bells and whistles of some of their lenses, but the main technological development in the last 20 years or so Nikon has been lightyears ahead of Canon, namely digital cameras. Yes, I know the 1D is good, but it took till after Nikon had the D1 and the D1x/h. And when I mean big development, I mean something that would cause rational photographers to jump ship.

Nikon is just now only catching up :)

wah....flammable....:rbounce:

if i am not mistaken, the Canon 24-85 f3.5-4.5 USM has full time manual focus as well (think so...), and it too is sitting on shelves today.

oh wait.....i forgot about DO. DO technology, the promise of light weight, fast zooms and prime lenses. The 400 f4 DO IS USM is already on the shelves.

and the rumoured 24-105 f2.8L USM. if true, :cool:

no competition man. yawnnnnn :D

If that's the case, why are you using a noisy, not sharp, distorted, and bad bokeh Seekma 20mm f/1.8? :p

oh wait.....i forgot about DO. DO technology, the promise of light weight, fast zooms and prime lenses. The 400 f4 DO IS USM is already on the shelves.

no competition man. yawnnnnn :D

Actually, Nikon lightened it's first lens with carbon fibre / graphite and it was the 400/2.8 AF-S, long before DO... and their AF-S II versions were out before the DO lenses with further weight savings. How much does DO really save?

Oh, and since Canon decided to cut the FL multiplier from 1.5x to 1.3x on the 1D, I don't care how light your DO 400/2.8 is (when it comes out), it's not going to be lighter than a Nikkor 300/2.8.

And I say again, since all you Canon users have the "better" kit you better be taking better pictures than me.

Status
Not open for further replies.