AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f2.8 IF-ED or AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f2.8G ED lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCRaymon

Apr 25, 2008
Northern
Hello guys, I'm quite new to Macro Photography and I wanted to buy a macro lens.:) Any recommendation
which lens is good?

Hello guys, I'm quite new to Macro Photography and I wanted to buy a macro lens.:) Any recommendation
which lens is good?

Wat do you want to shoot?

BOTH are good, but for different applications.

The 60 is good for still life and products.
The 105 is more suitable for insects and other subjects where you need more working distance,

I will be using the lens for flowers,insects and portraits.

The 105mm may be better for insects as you probably can't get too close to them without them flying off!

Yes guys, Thanks for the tip.By the way,does anyone has any pictures taken with the 105?:)

Yes guys, Thanks for the tip.By the way,does anyone has any pictures taken with the 105?:)

Search on flickr with Nikkor 105 as tag. Should have plenty. ;)

Hello zac08, I have seen some very good photos in your flickr website. Two question. Are you using the 60mm micro-nikkor? And a d200?

Hello zac08, I have seen some very good photos in your flickr website. Two question. Are you using the 60mm micro-nikkor? And a d200?

First few macro shots were on the 60. Subsequently used the Tamron 90.

And yes all shots on the Nikon D200. ;)

Hi zac08,I am also using the D200. Er, is the 60mm mounted on the 200's equivalent to 90 mm? Why the switch to third party lenses?:)

Hi zac08,I am also using the D200. Er, is the 60mm mounted on the 200's equivalent to 90 mm? Why the switch to third party lenses?:)

Coz it was too short for me... when I tried to shoot spiders, the spider actually jumped onto the lens... :sweat::sweat:

So a 90mm Tamron will be about 135mm in 35mm format, more room to play with. ;)

And a 105 was too ex for me.

Haha.! So you will still recommend a 105?:bsmilie:

Get the tamron 180. It cost the same as a 105 VR and it gives you range ;)

Get the tamron 180. It cost the same as a 105 VR and it gives you range ;)

It depends on what you want to shoot. At 180mm, the 35mm equiv would be 270mm and it's too long for some of the creatures where u can go close to the insect. Handholding such a long lens is not easy either.

So a Nikkor 105 or Tamron 90 (on the cheap) is great if you like handheld shooting. The T180 or 200 Nikkor is better for those who like tripod or monopod assisted shots.

Does a tamron gives good quality pictures? Is the motor noisy?:confused:

It works very well for shooting butts especially those which are people shy. To LCRaymon, the bokeh of the 180 mm is very good and picture quality is among the best. Generally we don't AF for tamron 180. We use manual focusing. You may wish to check up sites like www.photozone.de for lens reviews etc. These should be able to answer your questions on which ones you want to use.

It works very well for shooting butts especially those which are people shy. To LCRaymon, the bokeh of the 180 mm is very good and picture quality is among the best. Generally we don't AF for tamron 180. We use manual focusing. You may wish to check up sites like www.photozone.de for lens reviews etc. These should be able to answer your questions on which ones you want to use.
Points noted.Will test out the lenses at the shop before making final decision.Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.