Af-s dx nikkor 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5g ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

vickee

Nov 8, 2008
Hi all.

I am thinking of getting a wide-angle lens for my D90.
Has anyone used this AF-S DX NIKKOR 10-24MM F/3.5-4.5G ED before and can provide some feedback? (est S$1350)
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0904/09041401nikon10mm24mmlens.asp

I am also comparing it with AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G IF-ED (est S$1560)
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0302/03021800nikon1224dx.asp

Up to this point, i prefer 10-24mm, because I was thinking that if i were to shoot in 10mm, it would probably be in f6 , so the fixed aperture at f4 for 12-24mm does not really matter to me right? another factor is also the S$200 difference. 2mm wide should also be a significant difference right?

currently also using nikon 18-200mm.

will be interested to take tight interiors, and landscape with this lens.

** would have considered the Nikon 14-24 f2.8 if not for my DX camera. if i get this DX wide angle it will be even harder for me to upgrade to FX in future.

somehow I can't find anyone talking about this lens in the forum

Thanks for reading and valuable advice.
vic

Last edited:
I couldn't bring myself to part with so much $$ for a Nikkor UWA lens.
I bought the Tokina 12-24 f/4, which I think comes close to the Nikkor in terms of performance and build quality, for a fraction of the price. Got it at 550, 2nd hand. New is about 900 I think.
If you buy new, maybe the Tokina ATX-Pro 116 DX is a better buy. Slightly wider. 1mm makes a fair bit of difference at the wide end.

hi, thanks for the prompt reply.

is this the Tokina 12-24mm f/4?
http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/tokina_12-24_4_n15/

is Tokina ATX-Pro 116 DX tokina 11-16mm?
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/11-16mm.htm
i wonder what is the difference in price.

i have not thought of a 3rd party lens yet but it seems like a good idea too. I read in some previous posts that D90 got compatibility issues with 3rd party lens. hope there is no problem with yours.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529418

550 is a attractive price. It may be a good idea to invest lesser in this UWA so that in future if upgrade to FX not so heartpain.
I will go check it out your suggestion. Thanks a lot

Jus got my tokina 12-24 f4. Even my gf who dun know abt photography loves it when she look thru the VF. U can nv be wrong with it. I got mine 2nd hand at 530. I havent try on 11-16mm tokina, but i read tons of gd review abt it.

hi, thanks for the prompt reply.

is this the Tokina 12-24mm f/4?
http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/tokina_12-24_4_n15/

is Tokina ATX-Pro 116 DX tokina 11-16mm?
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/11-16mm.htm
i wonder what is the difference in price.

i have not thought of a 3rd party lens yet but it seems like a good idea too. I read in some previous posts that D90 got compatibility issues with 3rd party lens. hope there is no problem with yours.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529418

550 is a attractive price. It may be a good idea to invest lesser in this UWA so that in future if upgrade to FX not so heartpain.
I will go check it out your suggestion. Thanks a lot

Yes you are right about both lenses.

Not sure why Tokina still produces BOTH lenses, but yeah, I like the solid build quality.
The lens is internal everything, which means that there is no difference to the exterior when you zoom in/out or turn the focus ring. The focus clutch took a bit of getting used to, but I like the push/pull action now!

No problems at all with this lens! Sharp, fast enough to focus, and no errors whatsoever! (touch wood)...

I'm not likely to upgrade to a FX cam anytime soon. Main reason is the size and bulk, and also the cost of the lenses. Will build my DX arsenal :)

Last edited:
I recently bought the Nikon 12-24mm f4 lens after having tried both lenses at Funan. I finally settled for the 12-24 because of the build and the constant maximum aperture. To me, the extra 2mm doen't make much of a difference as I shoot outdoors most of the time and I can always step back to get the same angle of view.

I must say the image quality is excellent... but so expensive!

BTw, the price I paid was $1480 incl GST no filter. $1560 is too expensive.

Last edited:
Jus got my tokina 12-24 f4. Even my gf who dun know abt photography loves it when she look thru the VF. U can nv be wrong with it. I got mine 2nd hand at 530. I havent try on 11-16mm tokina, but i read tons of gd review abt it.

thanks ChenGuy,

I realised there are little buy/sell of UWA lens in forums. your S$530 is a steal! :thumbsup:
any idea how much is the new one for the tokina 12-24 f4 or 11-16mm f2.8?

..... I'm not likely to upgrade to a FX cam anytime soon. Main reason is the size and bulk, and also the cost of the lenses. Will build my DX arsenal :)

haha.. we are always lack of 1 lens in the dry cabinet. The more DX lens i buy, the further I pull myself away from the D700, I guess i will also build up my DX kingdom instead.

I recently bought the Nikon 12-24mm f4 lens after having tried both lenses at Funan. I finally settled for the 12-24 because of the build and the constant maximum aperture. To me, the extra 2mm doen't make much of a difference as I shoot outdoors most of the time and I can always step back to get the same angle of view.

hi hope107,

can share the name of the shop u visited? and when did you buy it?
I have checked 2 shops (via telephone) and one is 1560 and the other is 1570.
try to bargain, they say the same excuse.. "YEN is getting more EX. Prices keep going up"

I must agree this too. the colours produced by the nikon 12-24 is very nice.
I got mine at $1050 for a 2 months old set from buy/sell. Furthermore,i f you shoot at 10 mm indoors there might be distortions too which is very common for UWAs.

at 12mm, there is already plenty of distortions at the side.

at 12mm, there is already plenty of distortions at the side.

yup... at 12mm distortion is very obvious. i cant imagine at 10mm..

don't imagine, try it and see for yourself.

of course distortion is a plenty but i think it's rather trival.

the 10-24 is a good lens and f/3.5 should honestly suffice in the outdoors

unless you are using it indoors, where the 11-16 f/2.8 will come in useful.

got all the money that you don't need to eat bread with plain water: Nikon 10-24mm...

wanna save a bit so that you could eat a bit more this month: Either Sigma 10-20mm or Tokina 11-16mm...

the only trade off is:
Nikon 10-24mm as wide as Sigma and as sharp as Tokina but expensive...
Sigma 10-20mm slightly less sharp but wider (1mm is a hell lot in UWA)...
Tokina 11-16mm way sharp but CA and purple fringing is obvious in most day shots...

i don't bother about distortions... you get it in most UWA lenses esp widest focal length...

Jarv1s, Purple fringing on Tokina 11-16mm is very well controlled by the D300 built in CA control. You could be using the Tokina on bodies other than D300 I guess..

Hmm

Actually I am wondering, every one is basically talking about distortion, sharpness. What about lens flare? I think for UWA as a useful landscape, lens flare is very critical, especially if you shoot at strong light source directly. Hmmm unless all lens flare performance cannot make it or all so good that it does not make a difference.

hi hope107,

can share the name of the shop u visited? and when did you buy it?
I have checked 2 shops (via telephone) and one is 1560 and the other is 1570.
try to bargain, they say the same excuse.. "YEN is getting more EX. Prices keep going up"

Hi, Vickee

I bought mine from Alan Photo at Funan on Aug 10 this year. Also tried the Nikon 10-24mm but settled for the 12-24 for its better build and less distortion and light fall off at the corners especially when taking photos indoors.

A few other shops also quoted around the same price for the 12-24 mm lens e.g. John 316 and Challenger. So far I am satisfied with the quality of the images from this lens. Here are three sample pictures:

3838217129_6ddb9d222a.jpg

3857287091_acc73956e3.jpg

3857288753_f94f09d3ba.jpg

I think the light fall off at the corners in the last photo is acceptable (in fact not noticeable to me), so also is the distortion.

Hi vickee, I got my 10mm-24mm last month. Everything is good about it. Build(feels like the 18-200) main reason is because of the 10mm. Fast AF sharp and clear. Nice colors. No complains. But fyi the bad side to this lens is probably there's quite a bit of distortion at 10mm (easily rectifiable with softwares) haven't got any lens flare problem yet. $1360 w/GST(without filter, cash) @ CP and hope107fm, the 12-24 sure looks great too. hope this helps.

Hi, Vickee

I bought mine from Alan Photo at Funan on Aug 10 this year. Also tried the Nikon 10-24mm but settled for the 12-24 for its better build and less distortion and light fall off at the corners especially when taking photos indoors.....
Hi vickee, I got my 10mm-24mm last month. Everything is good about it. ....

Hi all, thanks to all for the input. I couldn't stand it and went straight to the camera shop last weekend. It was walking to the lion's den with the UWAs (10-24mm, 12-24, 11-16 f2.8 tokina) in my head. I know i am going to do my wallet wrong.

Asked for the 10-24mm straightaway cos i was greedy about the additional 1mm. tried it and liked it a lot. i was so mesmerized that subconsciously i said "ok" to the boss and 10 mins later I went home with the 10-24mm at $1350 with a free cheapo filter.

DAMN. on my way home i realised i forgot to bargain for a better price.. forgot to even try the 12-24mm and the tokina 11-16mm f2.8.

haha. I would say it is an super impulse buy, but i am enjoying every part of it now. Right now learning how to use it properly, especially the metering and composition part.

I am treating the distortion at the 10mm as an artistic effect and make use of it correctly to make it beautiful. I literally neglected my 18-200mm at home and bring only the 10-24mm + 50mm f1.8 in my bag for now.

no decent pics to show now, but will post later when i am better at it.
thanks
=)

hope107fm - that was some nice shots! i like the fullerton one. is it HDR?

Status
Not open for further replies.