AF: Nikon D200 vs Canon 5D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eugene P

Aug 20, 2005
I tested both the D200 and the Canon 5D in the stores, D200 with 17-55 and 5D with 24-105L f/4. It seems that the Canon's AF is a tad faster, more "confident"? The images seem to snap into focus just that wee bit faster. Anyone seen any test reports on this, or anyone handled both before, can share thoughts?

wonder how would it perform against 20D. but it's not easy to do a fair comparison given that the lenses are different.

mpenza said:
wonder how would it perform against 20D. but it's not easy to do a fair comparison given that the lenses are different.
Don't compare, just use them. :D

Camera F vs Camera KM

Camera C vs Camera N

All this comparision......makes life so dull and boring.......!

Get a life.

unless i am buying the 5D or D200, else no point comparing. even if 5D faster also no use to me since i already have Nikkor lenses. Quite unlikely it's a first camera for anyone. so i only need to know which areas are D200 better than D70. If i am Canon user, then i only need to know how much more i can get from 5D over 20D.

then again, Canon AF usually a bit faster. understand deeper and you know the Canon's AF process uses less steps to achieve the contrast for arriving at the final focus plane. hence faster in theory in nano seconds.

people usually compare cameras of diff brands at the entry levels (for first time buyers into the systems). for the semi-pros, or pros bodies, the comparison is more relevant between the models within the brand's lineup.

no point of comparing with difference brands, if you wan to compare then compare with D2h or D2x lor....

even if the 5d win i will not jump over, coz both system will have pro and con ;)

Pro Image said:
Camera F vs Camera KM

Camera C vs Camera N

Get a life.

applause23pu5za.gif

actually, it really makes no sense to compare different cameras (no, i'm NOT going to equipment bash) cos the 2 cameras/brands have different AF algo, the lenses have different focusing motors etc... so many variables. how do u make an accurate and/or meaningful assessment?

nightwolf75 said:
applause23pu5za.gif

actually, it really makes no sense to compare different cameras (no, i'm NOT going to equipment bash) cos the 2 cameras/brands have different AF algo, the lenses have different focusing motors etc... so many variables. how do u make an accurate and/or meaningful assessment?

But..but, I'm concern leh. :embrass:
If the camera brand I have win over the other "parties", I feel bery proud leh... :bsmilie::devil:;p

Pro Image said:
Camera F vs Camera KM

Camera C vs Camera N

Get a life.

thought that this forum is to share technincal, product and photography knowlege. poor guy. cant get his answer. if i knew i would have posted my comment but alas, i have never tried the 5D nor D200... sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.