AF lenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paperhands

Nov 1, 2008
Hey everyone,
I know this is a silly question but...
Does any SLR nikon camera use the AF lens? (or is it like AF lenses are for the DSLRs only?)
Sorry, If this question is way out of line,
THANK YOU!

( i meant AF Nikkors, if that makes it clearer in anyway)

Basically... As long as it is F mount, you should be able to use it on any of the current cameras, be it film SLR or DSLR. The only exception is those older Nikkormat series ones where they may need rabbit ear type of AI or pre AI lenses to work the aperture.

:) helped alot, thankyou thankyou thankyou!

Yes, AF lens works on all cameras, but you'll have to take note if the camera support the autofocus function. Eg, the older screw type AF lens will not work on D40, except for AFS. You can still shoot with it, but has to focus it manualy.

Hope it helps.

i'm no expert in this, but I'm pretty sure that a number of of Nikon film SLRs have the focusing motor built into the body, thus can perform all the functions which a DSLR, e.g. D70s, can perform with that lens.

Hey everyone,
Does any SLR nikon camera use the AF lens? (or is it like AF lenses are for the DSLRs only?)
THANK YOU!
all Nikon SLR can use AF lens, for older bodies, as long the AF lens have aperture ring (none G lens), all are usable.

AF G lens are usable on F5, F6, F100, F80, F55.

If you're asking if you can mount any AF Nikkors unto a Nikon SLR, answer is YES.

Hey everyone,
THANK YOU!

thank you guys for your answers!
:D

btw, using DX lenses on SLR camera will have vignetting on wide focal length setting.
I don't get this. Aren't DX lenses are designed for SLRs like the D40, 40x and 60? Why would they have vignetting if used on the proper camera?

Dx lenses are made for dSlr's which as you know have smaller sensors, therefore when you place them onto a FullFrame camera (be it a slr or dslr) there is vignetting.
if your wondering why its because of the sensor size...

try googling it if your still confused ;)

I don't get this. Aren't DX lenses are designed for SLRs like the D40, 40x and 60? Why would they have vignetting if used on the proper camera?
Nikon SLR= 35mm film format camera. frame size: 24x36mm

Nikon DX format DSLR= 1.5 x lens focal length, aka APS size sensor digital camera.

Nikon FX format DSLR= 23.9x36mm sensor digital camera, aka full frame digital camera.

one more to add,

there are Full Frame cameras that can adjust to APS from Full Frame thus allowing use of these lenses.

Hey everyone,
THANK YOU!

Dx lenses are made for dSlr's which as you know have smaller sensors, therefore when you place them onto a FullFrame camera (be it a slr or dslr) there is vignetting.
if your wondering why its because of the sensor size...

try googling it if your still confused ;)

Generally, Nikon's single lens reflex (S.L.R.) cameras are able to take any autofocus lenses due to them using the F mount.
If you're using a fully manual S.L.R. like me (I'm using a FM2.),
you wouldn't be using any G lenses.
All DX lenses are G lenses which means that they do not have an aperture ring.
These lenses are not suitable to be used on full manual S.L.R.s as you wouldn't have any control of the aperture.
You'll be able to utilize autofocus lenses on full manual S.L.R.s but they will not be able to autofocus.

not all G lenses are DX lenses though.. but i do believe all DX lenses are G lenses.

Nikon cameras after F5, F100, F80, F55 are can use or only use G lenses, that is way before the arrival of Nikon DSLR.

So many G lenses are not DX lens, but all DX lenses are G lens, get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.