AF lens on D5000... can't AF so don't bother using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwanhan

Aug 17, 2009
Redhill
Hi i just bought a d5000 recently and i'm aware that only AF-S lens will autofocus on it... but i was wondering, does that mean that its really pointless to try using AF lens on it?

For example the 50mm f 1.8... if i were to use it to shoot stills or portraits, would that be ok?

i'm aware of the crop factor and also that probably its going to be a pain knowing if the focus and sharpness is there, given the small screen...

can anyone help enlighten on whether this will end up as a wasted effort?

Hi i just bought a d5000 recently and i'm aware that only AF-S lens will autofocus on it... but i was wondering, does that mean that its really pointless to try using AF lens on it?

For example the 50mm f 1.8... if i were to use it to shoot stills or portraits, would that be ok?

i'm aware of the crop factor and also that probably its going to be a pain knowing if the focus and sharpness is there, given the small screen...

can anyone help enlighten on whether this will end up as a wasted effort?

no. you can still manual focus. teaches you patience and also brings you back to basics of photography... how they photograph in teh old days without AF.

at least to me that is ... haha...

depends on you, who knows maybe when you change body to lets say d90 you'll still be able to use it

alright thx

jus wondering how tough it will be to get the MF right lol

anyone out there who tried before?

alright thx

With the small viewfinder, it will actually be quite a challenge. But if you master it, you'll be a MF pro. :p

With the small viewfinder, it will actually be quite a challenge. But if you master it, you'll be a MF pro. :p

Just to add on:

Shoot,
Shoot more
Shoot some more.

then shoot enuff liao, technically speaking your MF skill will be "there".

Or u can just buy 50mm 1.4g :confused:

alright thx

It is not really as hard as you think. There is an in-focus indicator in your view finder to help you with the manual focusing (pp. 31, 61 of your D5000 manual). When the sensor detects that your subject is in focus the indicator will light up. You can try it out by switching your camera's focus mode to MF, or switching the A/M switch on your lens to M, half press the shutter release, and turn the focusing ring on your lens until the indicator is on. :)

Use the Rangefinder mode, to activate the rangefinder mode pls read the manual provided ;)

alright thx

I mainly use MF on my 50/1.8 + D80 combo, even though I have the capability for AF.
Just for the heck of it I guess. It depends on what you shoot. If the subject is moving about, MF can be troublesome. But in the olden days, people used to "guesstimate" the focus by reading off the distance scale on the lens body. It works quite well.

thx pple =)

i guess i'm more encouraged to try it out sometime

if i ever do i'll post photos of my attempt =)

until I have money to get the 50mm 1.4 I guess I'll be trying out the 50mm 1.8

OR i can just get hold of the 35mm LOL

...anyone want to post pictures of their MF 50mm shots?

thx pple =)

i guess i'm more encouraged to try it out sometime

if i ever do i'll post photos of my attempt =)

until I have money to get the 50mm 1.4 I guess I'll be trying out the 50mm 1.8

OR i can just get hold of the 35mm LOL

...anyone want to post pictures of their MF 50mm shots?

i personally think it's tough (due to inexperience in MF and bad eyesight)... even with the range finder on... especially on very wide DOF... slight miss = unusable photo...

I own the D5000. You can try using the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm 1:1.8G DX. You can use that for portaits. It is pretty good.

the 50mm f1.8 is a pretty decent lens. Lots of fun, and really the MF part is all about practice. Practice on something that doesn't move first :)

practice makes perfect!!!
yeah get the 50mm f/1.8G!!!!!!!

Definitely a very good experience to try it out. You never know until you try.

Cheapest prime lens available, usable on DX or FX format.

With f-stop scale on the aperture ring, you will also learn hyper-focusing.

The built of a good quality lens. (i just love the built of it and attaching it to my D40, make it look like a mini optimus prime ^_^) You get to see the whole aperture opening up (F1.8 it is a really big opening)~ Buy a reverse adapter, turn it around~ it become a macro lens.

Although with the camera viewfinder and the focusing ring of the lens that was never meant for manual focusing(For manual focusing lens normally the focusing ring will come with more resistance than the 50mm F1.8. Manual focusing is hard, but you will definitely enjoy it.

WAIT UNTIL YOU TRY MANUAL METERING! Ha, have fun with your 50mm F1.8.

Cheers!

wide open focusing (prime lense) is gonna but a challenge.... done that when i was starting up using a D60. Given the small viewfinder...

easy, you just buy first

try already, cannot work, throw away the d5K and buy d90. tadaaaaa

NEVER!!!!!! I SHALL WAIT FOR D90 SUCCESSOR!

If the D9000 or something is CMI, then d300s for me then. :bsmilie:

thanks for all the advice people!

btw talking about upgrades it's funny how my progression of possible choices went

this is my first SLR and i was initially thinking Panasonic G1 (because I loved my old panasonic lumix compact)....until I got hands-on.... then i considered Canon 1000D.... then Canon 450D....then settled on Nikon D5000 when it came out after i hands-on and i read reviews ....

and all this while there will always be people saying...eh get D90 lah...or eh get D300 lah...lol it never ends does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.