AF 80-200 f/2.8D IF-ED Discontinued?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jed

Jan 19, 2002
UK
Visit site
Something I read in the December issue of Nikon Pro:

"(The AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8G IF-ED) will replace the best-selling AF 80-200 f/2.8D IF-ED."
- from an article about the new lens

Not meaning to put the cat among the pigeons, and I cannot confirm that this is definitely the case (or that it isn't a typo), but this is as close as it gets to an official Nikon publication (it's not however).

It's not as outlandish as it sounds. By keeping the AF-S 80-200 and the 70-200 (as opposed to the older AF-n) the only thing Nikon surrenders is compatibility with bodies at least 5 years old. The drop of the "budget" option is not something which has really affected Canon users.

At any rate, it's just a possible heads up for anyone looking to get the AF-n version; hurry up!

let's hope that the price of AFS version will drop much to below S$2k.

Hmm... which means the AF-S G will probably go for the same price as the AFn-D ~$16xx. Which means the AFnD's used price is going to depreciate like hell.... :(

Regards
CK

CK,
I think is another way round. The AFS G VR is going be like the current AFS price, and the current AFS price will drop to around S$2k.

Just my guess...or hope.

Originally posted by ckiang
Hmm... which means the AF-S G will probably go for the same price as the AFn-D ~$16xx. Which means the AFnD's used price is going to depreciate like hell.... :(

Regards
CK

I dun think it will depreciate much.. Look at some of the MF lens. they are more expensive than the AF version...

There is still a large group of poeple not using the newer bodies that could use the "G" lens.

ANyone know the weight of the new "G" lens?

Originally posted by Kho King
CK,
I think is another way round. The AFS G VR is going be like the current AFS price, and the current AFS price will drop to around S$2k.

Just my guess...or hope.

Well, if it replaces the AFnD, then obviously the AFnD will drop in price, not the current AFS. Right?

Regards
CK

The price of the new VR lens is 10% cheaper than the Canon IS lens over here.

Suggests that if this is true, the AF-S price will drop slightly, but I doubt it will drop by too much. After all the AF-n was always a blip in the market, Canon never offered a "budget" telephoto f2.8 zoom.

Originally posted by Jed
Canon never offered a "budget" telephoto f2.8 zoom.

Hmm...actually the old Canon 80-200 f2.8L (AFD drive) can be considered Canon's budget f2.8 pro zoom in this range. Surprisingly I don't see much of them floating around the 2nd hand market here in Singapore.

We had a discussion on this when it was announced. Grays provide excellent service but are not exactly cheap. As I discussed earlier as well, my dealer of choice is retailing the lens at 10% less than the Canon IS equivalent.

is the 70-200mm VR G available already? When is the delivery date?

Camera equipment is much more expensive in UK than S'pore.

Give a 20-30% discount.. should be abt the right amount here.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.