AE Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

slingshot

Dec 6, 2004
PONGGOL 21
How to do AE lock when the camera is in Manual mode? Cos I know how to do it in Aperture / Shutter priority. Just how to meter the correct subject exposure and then lock the exposure value before pressing the shutter. Anyone can help?

i might be wrong here... but isn't manual, you set your aperture & shutter, hence no need for ae lock already? ae lock is to freeze the settings on A or S mode cos when you change your view from for eg, dark to bright, aperture or shutter change hence you wanna lock the previous setting. but manual since you set both, it will deem ae lock redundant...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
i might be wrong here... but isn't manual, you set your aperture & shutter, hence no need for ae lock already? ae lock is to freeze the settings on A or S mode cos when you change your view from for eg, dark to bright, aperture or shutter change hence you wanna lock the previous setting. but manual since you set both, it will deem ae lock redundant...

:thumbsup: Pretty good explaination. Now, that makes me wonder what the * button does when it's in M mode...

Ah Pao said:
:thumbsup: Pretty good explaination. Now, that makes me wonder what the * button does when it's in M mode...

Good question. Anyone care to explain what the * button does when it's in M mode? Me wish to understand more also.

for flash when you are using flash?

* only applies in Canon cameras?

<*> is relegated to FEL and C.Fn-4 (350D) when set to M mode. It has no effect whatsoever on AE (there is no auto exposure anyway).

AE Lock? *? .. eerr correct me if I'm wrong ... isn't it for exposure bracketing? where u press it to set your desired exposure... hence.. even if it is in manual mode ... u still need to set your exposure.. Aperture and Shutter and Exposure... need to be set seperately in Manual mode...

G-`FerRo said:
AE Lock? *? .. eerr correct me if I'm wrong ... isn't it for exposure bracketing? where u press it to set your desired exposure... hence.. even if it is in manual mode ... u still need to set your exposure.. Aperture and Shutter and Exposure... need to be set seperately in Manual mode...

AE basically means "Auto Exposure", hence when you press the AE lock button in any of the automatic exposure modes (i.e. programme, Shutter priority (Tv) or Aperture priority (Av)) the exposure selected by the CAMERA is locked. without pressing the AE lock button, the CAMERA will reset the exposure depending on where you take an exposure reading on the scene.

in manual mode, YOU, the photographer, select the exposure. so once you've set your exposure, it won't change no matter where you take your exposure reading.

by the way, when you set the aperture and shutter speed, you've already set the exposure.

patch17 .. spot on... that's what i wanna describe.. hehe u've put it more clearly ... hehe ...kewl..

Status
Not open for further replies.