AE lock in EOS 500D

Status
Not open for further replies.

rysouke

Apr 25, 2009
how to use AE lock in Manual Mode?? As I have read the manual book...once i press the * button it will appear a * in the viewfinder...but this seem not working for manual mode..and the manual book never state too..

Did you switch on auto focus on your lens? Have you enable AF assist beam in your custom settings?

how to use AE lock in Manual Mode?? As I have read the manual book...once i press the * button it will appear a * in the viewfinder...but this seem not working for manual mode..and the manual book never state too..

Erm.... you are essentially lockiing your exposure once you are in manual mode. The camera will not change whatever setting you have dialed in. Its will only tell you if you are under or over exposing. AE lock is irrelevant.

Did you switch on auto focus on your lens? Have you enable AF assist beam in your custom settings?

yes auto focus on my lens and AF assist beam is also enable it..

Just point your camera around. The settings does not change in manual mode like they do in other modes. Its already locked.

Ah .. so AE lock is not applicable for manual mode since it already locked..

Last edited:
so when i do AE lock ... do i need to press the shutter button halfway then press * button or just press * button??

As the manual said focus the subject and press the shutter button halfway then press the * button...abit confusing here...

You press the shutter release button so that the camera is called to take a reading. You then press the AE lock button to freeze that reading.

Oh..thank kit for your explaination...i keep confuse myself between AE lock and Focus lock

but the funny thing is when i use focus lock..recompose and take the shot...then i use DDP to see the focus pt see if it is has been recomposed..and it seem not the way...

i use the center AF pt to focus on the subject's eyes first then recompose it and appear that the AF pt is not in center when i use DDP to check..why is that so?

I just did a test. It seems that pressing the AE lock without half pressing the shutter button can also lock the reading.

Oh..thank kit for your explaination...i keep confuse myself between AE lock and Focus lock

but the funny thing is when i use focus lock..recompose and take the shot...then i use DDP to see the focus pt see if it is has been recomposed..and it seem not the way...

i use the center AF pt to focus on the subject's eyes first then recompose it and appear that the AF pt is not in center when i use DDP to check..why is that so?

The AF pt will not be in the center anymore because you moved the focused subject out of it... :)

The AF pt will not be in the center anymore because you moved the focused subject out of it... :)

but does the focus is been locked??

but does the focus is been locked??

Yes it's locked. That is why it is not in the centre anymore since you have recomposed the frame.

is that important to you?

from my experience last time when i first started out, when you focused the eye and recompose, the shot you taking might not be "sharp or look focus" example focused on the eye and move away the af point downwards to the chin or lower. the camera already registered that you focus that particular area using centre af point and you shifted it away which may causes that area to looks soft unless you using small aperture which might prevent this.

Last edited:
is that important to you?

from my experience last time when i first started out, when you focused the eye and recompose, the shot you taking might not be "sharp or look focus" example focused on the eye and move away the af point downwards to the chin or lower. the camera already registered that you focus that particular area using centre af point and you shifted it away which may causes that area to looks soft unless you using small aperture which might prevent this.

just wanted to test it..as i know that the center AF pt is more sensitive...compare to others point..so trying to use the center pt to focus

Status
Not open for further replies.