Advises needed for purchasing Lumix

Status
Not open for further replies.

saifulbahar

Feb 27, 2004
Singapore
www.pbase.com
Hi all Lumix users,

I am serious intending to buy a Lumix as my backup camera (currently a Canon 300D as main camera).

I am trying to decide between the FZ5 and FZ20.

1. What are the benefits between the two?
2. After buying the main standard box, what are the other accessories I should consider and where should I buy them and approximately how much.
3. What is the image aspect ratio: 4:3, 3:2? and how does it affects when I send it out for printing to 4R, 6R and so on.

I have read the forum and many mentioned the Phayee and really wonder what it is. I intend to do many macros and also long zoom which both I can't afford different expensive lenses on my DSLR when on travel.

Your advises are greatly appreciated.

i recommand the FZ5, I am currently using the FZ10. The FZ5 is small and compact, you already have a DSLR no point getting another camera with the SLR type of size. Aspect ratio for most P&S cameras are 4:3, you need to crop down for printing. With the FZ5 you no need to buy the phayee.

saifulbahar said:
Hi all Lumix users,

I am serious intending to buy a Lumix as my backup camera (currently a Canon 300D as main camera).

I am trying to decide between the FZ5 and FZ20.

1. What are the benefits between the two?
2. After buying the main standard box, what are the other accessories I should consider and where should I buy them and approximately how much.
3. What is the image aspect ratio: 4:3, 3:2? and how does it affects when I send it out for printing to 4R, 6R and so on.

I have read the forum and many mentioned the Phayee and really wonder what it is. I intend to do many macros and also long zoom which both I can't afford different expensive lenses on my DSLR when on travel.

Your advises are greatly appreciated.

Welcome to Lumix World.
It's always a headache deciding on which camera.
FZ5 is smaller, but lack manual focus. As a dslr user you might like a cam with MF.
FZ20 is bigger but with full manual control. Compared with 300D, it's still smaller though!

Image format is no longer an issue. Be it 4:3 or 3:2, the lab could print it. I do prefer 4:3 format though. Coz you see more on print.

I'll leave the topic on PA for JimDavis to post.
For Macro, check it out with tchuanye. He's the best so far!

FZ5 - Very light. Image is cleaner at all ISOs, you can see the EVF at low light conditions, high focus speed (at times) can match DSLR speed. Can focus in lowlight better. Battery life longer than FZ20 by a good 30%. (Max i hit is about 360 shots wif EVF at a go)
Sucky: burst mode of 4 frames max no matter what condition, must use slave flash, has a plastic feel to it (but got used to it after a while).

FZ20 - Solid feel, metal body, slightly bigger LCD (about a few mm wider) has got manual focus. has got hotshoe for flash. burst of 7 frames at a go. only advantages i can think of over FZ5.
Sucky - it's gonna be as big and heavier than your 300D.

Guess it's down to needing manual focus or hotshoe.
If u using for backup/spare, guess u wun be needing hotshoe much. As for manual focus... I do wish i have it, though i know i'll use it less than 1% of the time, coz AF is fast n good.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the help... Seems that both has its advantages... The FZ20 does look attractive to me since I will only be carrying FZ20 or 300D and not both. Still need to consider what are the other accessories I will need to include in my budget list before buying... Maybe will meet you guys during one of your outings and see all the gadgets you all may be using.

saifulbahar said:
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the help... Seems that both has its advantages... The FZ20 does look attractive to me since I will only be carrying FZ20 or 300D and not both. Still need to consider what are the other accessories I will need to include in my budget list before buying... Maybe will meet you guys during one of your outings and see all the gadgets you all may be using.

Yes, join our PLUG outing next month.. ;)

saifulbahar said:
Hi guys,

Hi, PLUG outing at
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=133236

Hope to see you there.. ;)

saifulbahar said:
Hi guys,

IMHO, I think you should get the FZ20, not FZ5.

FZ20 has features where a DSLR person would love to, such as external flash, as well as remote shutter control. FZ5 does not....

I am now a DSLR person, but still hold on to my FZ10....the reason is obvious.

That's the dlilemma. My office has an FZ20 and I find it too big for my comfort. Been agonising whether I want the "manual" controls and pay more for the bulk. Both the units' image quality (which is my no. 1 criteria) rated "10" on megapixel.net, so that means I don't lose any performance choosing the FZ5. It also looks more compact and sexy...heh heh
I was also considering the 300D until I went and saw an actual unit and man..that's huge (by my standards anyway). for a person who wants mini of everything, it looks like the FZ5 would be a better choice.

I noticed that the sensor size is generally smaller. does it impact in anyway, eg performance in low light conditions?

I think generally the FZ series don't perform under low light conditions as the EVF/LCD have no low light lit up function, hence it make it hard to focus. Perharps maybe it is only me using FZ10... i believe FZ20 also have the same problem.

Unseen and denominator... want to comment about FZ5 under low light conditions?

Actually I love my 300D. But because I do lots of travel and street shootings, having 300D is no good. With the battery grip, people tend to think I'm a reporter and that prevents me from getting good street shoots.... That's why I'm considering the FZ20 as my 2nd body. I love the strength of the lens of FZ20 that made me consider.

Will join you guys on your next PLUG, but without the Lumix yet, is that ok to all? Just wanna be sure I see you guys at work with the Lumix.

in case you are intersted, wireduff is selling his fz5 at $600+ with 2 spare batteries and a fast 256MB card. not a bad deal. I just have not made up my mind yet, so if you are interested, do take a look under the buy-sell section.
maybe its what you are looking for.

airconvent said:
in case you are intersted, wireduff is selling his fz5 at $600+ with 2 spare batteries and a fast 256MB card. not a bad deal. I just have not made up my mind yet, so if you are interested, do take a look under the buy-sell section.
maybe its what you are looking for.

thanks for the plug dude!! yep i bought this for my sis but it's too big for her so selling. now my sister is bugging me to change the camera.. :angry:

I had my heart set more or less on the FZ5 but was reading this Panasonic Digital Photography guide and argg...! now I'm thinking of getting the FZ20 too. I heard from my friend the Fz10 is not as good, so now its a tie between FZ5 and FZ20!
I like the compact size of the FZ5 but reading it, found it has no options what-so-ever. I want to be able to have the ability to upgrade lenses, manual control, etc. But the large size of the FZ20 also means I may not bring it along as often as the FZ5...

airconvent said:
I had my heart set more or less on the FZ5 but was reading this Panasonic Digital Photography guide and argg...! now I'm thinking of getting the FZ20 too. I heard from my friend the Fz10 is not as good, so now its a tie between FZ5 and FZ20!
I like the compact size of the FZ5 but reading it, found it has no options what-so-ever. I want to be able to have the ability to upgrade lenses, manual control, etc. But the large size of the FZ20 also means I may not bring it along as often as the FZ5...

FZ20 got manual focus and remote shutter.

hi there...i am a d70 user...but was thinking of getting a lumix too...can i join your PLUG too?

donchua said:
FZ20 got manual focus and remote shutter.

hi
when you say remote shutter, do you mean you can control the shutter wirelessly or do you mean you have a virtual cable release thingy that can have exposures longer than 8 seconds?

rafiano said:
hi there...i am a d70 user...but was thinking of getting a lumix too...can i join your PLUG too?

wah...you have a D70 and still want to buy a panasonic?
panasonic currently have no slr cameras. the slr-like fz20 is perhaps their top of the line model..
but you can consider getting one small one for grab-and-go occasions.
the mega OIS and x6 zoom should prove to be an asset..

airconvent said:
I like the compact size of the FZ5 but reading it, found it has no options what-so-ever. I want to be able to have the ability to upgrade lenses, manual control, etc.

:nono: FZ5 can do everything FZ20 can, except use a flash which is not a slave, do manual focusing, ability to change sharpening settings. FZ5 can also do full manual (minus focusing), use filters, use t-converters, use w-converters, all kinds of "lens" you mention.

hmmm manual focusing wise: how often do u manual focus?

upgrade lens? :bsmilie:
get a Dslr.

heh anyway, all in all, get a lumix, you'll be happy till u turn to the darkside or the whiteside..

Status
Not open for further replies.