advises for constant lenses & camer

averynkh

Apr 9, 2007
singapore
Hi, i havent been followed up the trend for many many years and also hardly use the camera nowadays but i wish to pick up back, the camera i owned is nikon d7000 and also nikkor 18-270mm

• wish to get a multi purpose constant lens
  • it seems like i only have sigma 24-70 and also nikkor 24-70, any others lenses i can consider?
  • i have seemed nikon’s in real, too bulky for me like my current lens 18-300
  • not sure about sigma’s, i was wondering where can i try the lens?
  • can i actually consider sigma 18-50? i use more for travel purpose
  • noticed nikon has a new version of this lens but the price is too expensive to me :(
  • so the sigma’s has only one version that is the one released in 2017 right? or the newer version is the Art series’s?
  • anything i need to consider between these two lenses?
  • actually, i was wondering is there any mirrorless camera’s has the same quality as DSLR standard now? wish to have a lighter weight while travelling... haha
hope you can help me, thanks guys!!!

Last edited:
Both Sigma and Tamron make 17/18-50mm f2.8 lenses, both with or without 'vibration reduction'. These are a few years old, haven't read about newer Art versions though.

I feel nowadays all the interchangeable lens cameras from the major manufacturers are rather good, not that much difference quality wise unless you have specific requirements or need to do a lot of post-processing work. Just check them out and see if they meet your budget and requirements and you're good to go

For Sigma, have you considered the 18-35mm f/1,8 Art ?

For the comparison between DSLR and Mirrorless you can check the usual review sites (e.g. DPReview) and compare the image quality. I don't think the mirrorless cameras need to hide anywhere, it has become a segment with serious contenders to the DSLR models.
But at first, please define your budget and your purpose. From your write-up it looks as if you are looking at a lightweight and versatile travel setup. The better you define your needs the easier it will be to find something suitable.

Hi Octarine, thanks for reply!
yeah, weight and versatility are probably the main concern for me for now and i cannot say which one is more important because both are the key whether i will bing my DSLR together or not, and the model i decided to get is D7200, for the wireless function... but if there is any mirrorless camera that can produce same image quality i dont mind because i am sure the weight will be a lot lighter... but yeah i will check out the comparison as well!

I can't say much about the other brands, but Canon has the EOS M as mirrorless series, using the same sensor as the DSLR range (77D, 80D), Wifi is also in place. Should be quite the same for the other brands. if you have not spent too much on your Nikon system you can be pretty open about a system change. Go to the shops for hands-on tests, mirrorless have a different handling due to smaller size and weight. Also, don't underestimate the use of electronic viewfinder. it's a different game than the optical VF of DSLR. But one thing for sure: hiking a volcano with a mirrorless is definitely nicer than lugging up a DSLR.

Reactions: Ah Keong
Hi @Octarine

thanks for your reply, actually never think of changing system just simply like Nikon for no reason :p, but since you mentioned this i will be more open to this then, as long as the outcome is as good as DSLR (i also sell photos on shutterstock), can recommend me any shop you know that is good enough for me to try as many as i can? Alan photo? no more funan, i dont know where should i go nowadays but Funan is coming back soon! cant wait!

Hi @averynkh , here a few pointers, in no specific order and without me being affiliated to any of them.
Cathay Photo - Peninsula Plaza (opposite Funan)
MS Color - AMK Hub
TK Photo - Plaza Singapura
Orient Photo - Sim Lim Square (6th floor)
In addition, do check the electronic malls (Courts etc), they also have cameras on display where you check the handling.

Reactions: Ah Keong
The widest constant zoom (in terms of change in angle of view) that I know of is the Olympus 12-100mm f/4. But it's a totally different system to the Nikon F-mount DX format that you use.
It's an FX equivalent of a 24-200mm f/8 lens
or DX equivalent of 16-133mm f/5.3 lens
You either have a shorter focal length range but faster constant aperture or a larger focal length range but slower constant aperture.
Or if manufacturers did make both fast and large focal length range, then it'd be very large and likely expensive.
You also tend to loose some other image quality parameters the larger the zoom range but you trade the convenience of a single zoom for some loss in quality.
If you're happy to relax your constant aperture criteria then your options open up a bit.

You can go to Sony Store IMM or Somerset, and try all models of cameras and lens, expensive GM lens or cheap G lens. Their sales guys are very nice and patient. When you identify one, go to Alan or Cathay, they may offer a cheaper price.

Honestly, I thought 18-270 is quite a good all rounder lens other than the fact that it does not have fixed aperture. If you really want fixed aperture, it's highly likely going to be bulky.

You may want to consider prime lens instead to compliment your existing lens rather.