advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

streetlife

Jul 20, 2009
4289314919_9b4475bcf9.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

Shots were taken after my friends ROM. I just asked them to pose for a couple of shots using my D90 with 55-200VR kitlens.

In the first pic, The shadow on the face of the bride is quite dark. Can this be overcome during actual shoot?I know it was created because of the angle against the sun, but can metering or in-camera setting can do the job to lighten the shadows?If PP is needed, what software and feature can work well? Is fly really amust in this kind of situation?

In the 2nd pic, I want to achieve a somehow washed out background.I noticed that all my shots similar to this got saturated background. Is it because of the lens I used? Can larger aperture do the job? Does metering play a role here?

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

To lighten the shadows and unsaturated background.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Just so happen that I brought my cam to take group shots. Not really planned to take photos like this.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

I think I achieved my goal in almost all of my shots which is to take candid images showing good emotions.

Last edited:
the lighting at that time is a bit challenging for you i guess. My guess is that it was shot between 11-2pm? If i do have to shoot that time i try to reduce the harsh shadows by moving subject to a shadier area, without direct sunlight, and then model the subjects according to the direction of the surrounding bounced sunlight. or better still, if you have a fill in flash.

4289314919_9b4475bcf9.jpg

....The shadow on the face of the bride is quite dark. Can this be overcome during actual shoot?I know it was created because of the angle against the sun, but can metering or in-camera setting can do the job to lighten the shadows?

hmmm..... u can meter for the face BUT that would likely cause her light colored dress to be overblown

usually folks will use a reflector.... which i doubt you carried around that day

alternatives abound however.

a. try re-positioning them to face the direction of light

b. raise that chin a little or turning head out more (her coy shy type pose does not help and looks cheezy)

c. position them at a place so that SOME light bouncing off the ground will help light up the face a little more

d. all of the above

u also need to exert some control of the situation instead of just asking them to pose and leaving it up to them
good luck

Yes a reflector angled in the correct angle will work. Just take a few shots with the reflector at different angles.

Good Day

Shots were taken after my friends ROM. I just asked them to pose for a couple of shots using my D90 with 55-200VR kitlens.

In the first pic, The shadow on the face of the bride is quite dark. Can this be overcome during actual shoot?I know it was created because of the angle against the sun, but can metering or in-camera setting can do the job to lighten the shadows?If PP is needed, what software and feature can work well? Is fly really amust in this kind of situation?

In the 2nd pic, I want to achieve a somehow washed out background.I noticed that all my shots similar to this got saturated background. Is it because of the lens I used? Can larger aperture do the job? Does metering play a role here?

The photo is slightly underexposed. It can be easily adjusted by increasing the exposure a bit during editing, and also increase color saturation a little bit. see here:

4292698960_aa09cec311_o.jpg

It also helps that the camera contrast setting is set to normal under such condition. Like what others had pointed out, the best way is to choose a suitable location for the shooting.

The only way to achieve an uncluttered background is through careful observation during shooting. A telephoto lens will help to achieve this too. Also, the larger the aperture, the more blur it will get. Make sure the background is further away, as this will increase the blur effect.

I find the background quite ok what.

there are a few options here:
1. use exposure lock - however this may end up over-exposing other areas. think relative.
2. use reflectors, as suggested above. however may not be the best option. cumbersome and need additional person to hold it.
3. use flash - yes even in day, u can use flash. but u may lose details and effects.
4. shift your position - this is probably the most effective thing to do. easier to position yourself between couple and you.

Status
Not open for further replies.