Advise??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christmas

Dec 3, 2008
Hi everyone,
am very new to this place so if i asked stupid questions, please really bear with me. I am trying to learn as much as possible. I have really been into photography for 2 years, i guess. Right now, i decided it's really time to get my first DSLR and as with all new comers, its going to be a really diffcult decision as to which one to bear. I would just like to hear some opinions from those who don't mind sharing.
Some of the question i have in mind:
1)What was your first DSLR?
2)What was your budget then?
3)Did you regret your choice, if yes/no, why?
4)Is 2nd hand camera advisable?
5)Is it true that it is much cheaper to buy camera/lenses in Hong Kong? Cos i am always going down there for business trips.

Hope some of you out there can shed some light with regards to my queries. Thank You

My take

Canon EOS 400D

Forgot leow. I choose based on the class. Entry level class.

Yes and no.

Yes, it's becuz the grip is too small for me, buay song after a long period of handling it esp. with heavy lens attached.

That's why i always tell those people buying their first dslr to choose the one that FEELS the best among the class :p

No, it's becuz, it still captures beautiful photos for me, and, it's light!

Why not, if the condition matches the asking price.

5)Is it true that it is much cheaper to buy camera/lenses in Hong Kong? Cos i am always going down there for business trips.

No comments. Even if the price is the same as Singapore, the tax rebate is a wow leow.

Last edited:
A person's first DSLR may differ widely as the person may have graduated from a PnS or prosumer and thus would favour the smaller beginner cameras. And for those who have used SLRs before or other users DSLRs before may then opt for semi-pro model or even the pro models (esp if they have more dough)

Thus this can differ greatly, personally I started with a semi-pro, D200 back then as I wanted more controls and a better camera than the D70s that was avail then.

For budget, its up to you to set and save for...

No regrets at all on my choice. ;)

2nd hand cameras may have pros and cons. Yes, it's cheaper, but you won't know what the previous owner may have done with the camera. So there's always a risk there.

yes, it's cheaper in Hk, but for camera bodies, your warranty is limited to the country that you buy it in. Thus if you have an issue with the camera body, you'd have to return to HK to claim the warranty. For lenses, the warrnty is international.

Canon 300D

got it with kitlens + grip for 500+ 2nd hand.....
of cos slowly kana BBB virus...ahrrrr

No - cause i'm still new to photography so....yea just keep shooting...

now yes - cause i find the functions kind of limiting me....

but well....i could say i learn alot of stuff from it..

i would say that it's up to each individual ba...cos some die die wad also want to get 1st hand cause the feeling maybe more shiok? but ofcause if you have no budget why not get 1st hand?

but for students like me with tight budget and prefer to use own hard earn money to get some stuff....2nd hand is ok as long as in gd working condition..

i heard many ppl saying this too...but i have no idea...

Nikon D50 (that was back in 2006)

Didnt have a fixed budget, but just started photography, so i was looking for an entry-level model, and was recommended the d50

Nope. It was a very decent camera which provided for most things i needed then, and still now. Have since changed to a 6mp D70s (very similar), and am still using it in today where 12MP cameras are entry-level and ISO25600 is the max ISO

it is a very viable option, especially if you are low on budget. but with anything, do be careful to check stuff like condition, warranty, sensor dirt (if any), shutter count and accessories

im not sure, but i continue to buy stuff locally. i have, though, considered buying things from japan and the US

1) Canon 300D.
2) Less then $1000 for everything including accessories.
3) Nope. It still gives nice pictures even when up against the newer DSLRs.
4) If know what you are doing.
5) see #4.

Mine was a Canon 400D, just bought 2 months (or so) ago.

500 bucks.

No. The 400D is, in my opinion, a capable camera, and I don't have use for certain functions found on higher-end cameras.

You got to see it and check it for yourself. My first DSLR was a second hand, and it's performing pretty good till now.

I do not know. I heard so.

Olympus E10, if it's considered a DSLR (since no such thing then), Canon 10D

>4k to I forgot

No, made full use of it, lug it everywhere I go, learned tons

Sure, it's like buying a 2nd hand car

Never tried asking

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.