Advise require for upgrading of body and maintainence for dslr

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownInu

Sep 22, 2009
Good day everyone,

I am planning for a upgrade from a prosumer to dslr camera. I had been shooting with a Canon Powershot S5IS in manual mode for sometime. The limitation had result in the miss of beautiful moments during holiday and family gathering. This is the primary reason for the intention of upgrading to a dslr. Secondary reason is definately to further enhance my skill with the new body.

My intention/path of route for photography will revolve around potrait shoot and travel(holiday). Had been reading and hitting the "search" button in clubsnap for lots of informative advise. I do not believe in getting the "lastest technology = best shoot", i believe in getting the primary skills right before diving into this hugh investment. Hence i have come up with a few combination for my entry into dslr, feel free to advise/educate if possible:

Body: Canon 500D( video function is not a must) or 2nd hand Canon 40D for it's better feature. Basically i am still torn between this.

Lens: 18 to 200mm kit lens(for ease of travelling)
50mm f1.8 (value for money for portrait)
10 to 22mm ( still pending )

Flash: wonder if it is a need in the beginning
Battle grip and spare batts: usually how many shoots can i battery last? Does traveller usually bring a few spare batts or just purely rely on the battle grip.

Maintainence:

Storage
I had been using plastic container from this brand "lock and lock" for my prosumer, just throw in some silicon gels.

I am thinking of getting a dry cabinet but i am unsure which capacity will be able to withhold the above mention setup.

Cleaning kit

I had been using brush, mini blower and lens paper for the prosumer. Is this method a good choice to be use on a dslr lens and body?

Lastly, do advise if i am missing out on other setup or accessories which is a need for the upgrading.

Even the smallest dry cabinet can hold all that. Your cleaning accessories are ok, but you might want to get lens liquid as well.

i would say 500D, 18-200 and 50/1.8. But I am not sure how is 40D better in terms of features.

Don't bother about the flash and grip. When u feel sick of ur on-board flash, then u go for the external one. Grip will make ur life harder for travelling in my opinion. Most dSLR batteries should be able to last u ~400 to 500 shots. U can buy an extra one if u think u need to. I belong to the type that travel easy and light, so that's my take.

familiar with ur dSLR first, then think of what u will actually need later on.

ur "setup" is fine. even that lock and lock is fine.

A flash is the single piece of equipment that can improve your shots dramatically if you learn to use it properly

Body: Canon 500D( video function is not a must) or 2nd hand Canon 40D for it's better feature. Basically i am still torn between this.

Lens: 18 to 200mm kit lens(for ease of travelling)
50mm f1.8 (value for money for portrait)
10 to 22mm ( still pending )

Flash: wonder if it is a need in the beginning
Battle grip and spare batts: usually how many shoots can i battery last? Does traveller usually bring a few spare batts or just purely rely on the battle grip.

dry cabinet and cleaning - no different from cleaning prosumer. only additional thing you might want to learn to do is cleaning the dslr SENSOR.

canon 500d, or 40d, my suggestion is, try the canon 500d and 50d in shops.. handling wise that should give you an idea, because these 2 are from different ranges.

a 35 litre will be able to hold what you want to buy.

flash depends on what you shoot really.

battery, yes, spares. depends on the camera model, but usually 300+ shots should be alright, without popup flash being used. you can check out the battery life on reviews at dpreview or imaging resource.

i would say 500D, 18-200 and 50/1.8. But I am not sure how is 40D better in terms of features.

Don't bother about the flash and grip. When u feel sick of ur on-board flash, then u go for the external one. Grip will make ur life harder for travelling in my opinion. Most dSLR batteries should be able to last u ~400 to 500 shots. U can buy an extra one if u think u need to. I belong to the type that travel easy and light, so that's my take.

familiar with ur dSLR first, then think of what u will actually need later on.

ur "setup" is fine. even that lock and lock is fine.

thanks for your advise, usually how much would a original battery cost? Is it alright to use a 3th party batteries?

I am thinking of getting a tripod for 500D as part of the setup for the upgrading as well.
I had not used any tripod before, so i am wondering if the ball type or standard type is better for a 500D camera? Kindly, advise on this if possible.

dry cabinet and cleaning - no different from cleaning prosumer. only additional thing you might want to learn to do is cleaning the dslr SENSOR.

canon 500d, or 40d, my suggestion is, try the canon 500d and 50d in shops.. handling wise that should give you an idea, because these 2 are from different ranges.

a 35 litre will be able to hold what you want to buy.

flash depends on what you shoot really.

battery, yes, spares. depends on the camera model, but usually 300+ shots should be alright, without popup flash being used. you can check out the battery life on reviews at dpreview or imaging resource.

I have try handling 50D and 500D, so far the hand grip with 500D is better for me. As my hand and fingers are not that hugh to wrap it around with comfort.

I believe a additional batteries will be require as i am a trigger happy type of person.

Which brand and type of dry cabinet does most ppl used and what shall be the information which i shall be looking out for the selection of dry cabinet.

Will be doing my own reading but will appreciate if someone could give ur personal feedback.
Much apprecaite it.

thanks for your advise, usually how much would a original battery cost? Is it alright to use a 3th party batteries?
Can, no issues. Just don't get fooled by the capacity claims. They will last roughly as long as the original batteries. Some types lose capacity after 1..2 years, others not .. mixed bag here. If you don't like such things get a second original one.

I am thinking of getting a tripod for 500D as part of the setup for the upgrading as well.
I had not used any tripod before, so i am wondering if the ball type or standard type is better for a 500D camera? Kindly, advise on this if possible.
Matter of preference and taste. I use pan head, feels better to change only in one direction. Others use ball head, also ok. There is a beginner's guide for tripods, read up there before you enter any shop.

I believe a additional batteries will be require as i am a trigger happy type of person.
Not only this. It's always good to have a spare battery at hand. The first one might give way unexpectedly.

Which brand and type of dry cabinet does most ppl used and what shall be the information which i shall be looking out for the selection of dry cabinet.
"Equipment section - Others" has a sticky thread about the 2 major brands and the 2 technologies used. Digi-Cabi is the local brand, local service center in Tagore Lane. You can get them from nearly all photography shops and also Carrefour and other supermarkets. Saw them in Courts as well.
I have the Digi AD-100, no issues, it simply does the job. Some people get nervous about setting the target humidity. It takes 2..3 days and a bit patience, finished. No point getting upset about being outside the target range for 1 day. There was an earlier batch of 35l types where the dehumidifier unit gave way, others reported faulty power supplies. But the cabinets come with 5 years warranty and you can easily dismount the faulty parts and get replacement. No need to bring in the whole cabinet.

500D is able to use third party batteries. I am using them on my 50D (my gears as per my siggy)

Link - http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466425

Tripod wise, you can consider a Benro tripod. I got mine in Hong Kong which is cheaper than in Singapore.

Link - www.benro.com.hk

I am using DigiCabi 50L (AD-050) for SGD160.

Link - http://www.digihub.com.sg/Uploads/pdf/961970fb25084e8abee83dd5434fbbf6.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.