Advise plz...

Status
Not open for further replies.

monstar

Jan 30, 2007
Hi ppl,
I'm always wanting to get myself a DSLR, but don't know which 1 to get. I've been looking around, but don't know wat to look out for. Currently, i'm using a digital camera from SONY, model number should be W1, the shots taken were very clear when theres enough light but when theres not enough light, the shots turn out to be very blur. It kind of irritated at times when u can only got a second or so to take that snap, so it turns out to be very disappointed. So i decide to get a DSLR to take more beautiful pictures. so i'll need some advise from u guys wat to get for my very first DSLR.
Thanks guys...

i think u need to figure out first why your sony is blur, and whether, if in the same situation, a dslr would have produced sharp pics..

from the little details that u have given, i assume that it's hand shake that you're having problems with. if so, then no matter how expesive or "good" the camera is, it will still happen - blur images.

so perhaps you might wanna give more details as to wat is causing the blur, and then figure out if it's due to dslr/digicam problem, or user error.

if the method/understanding you use the digital camera is causing blur pictures, I believe you will be disappointed when you use dslr.

Maybe you can elaborate more so that experience brothers & sisters here will help you...as it is not as simple as changing your setup to get a perfect picture...

Thanks joho for the reply, i admit my hand does shake when taking night pictures, for that i can't blame anything, its a user error. What i'm concern about is the picture snapped on moving object or people, the picture turns out to be blur. For an example, taking a picture during fireworks show, i took pictures with my digital camera on a tripot, no matter what mode i used, the picture doesn't turn out good, some of the picture were good, but some were very blur. I saw many other guys using a DSLR, so i presume a DSLR can do a much better job than a digital camera. So how is a digital camera compare to a DSLR? Pls alighten me...

Mounting a camera on a tripod doesn't mean that the camera will not shake. If you are using a cheap tripod with unstable legs, it will be prone to shake, even with the slightest breeze. Or if you are taking a long exposure shot by pressing the shutter on the camera, you will introduce shake. If the ground you are on if relatively busy, like on the Benjamin Sheares Bridge, there might be vibration. So do take note of your shooting technique, even with a simple P&S camera. With a DSLR, you will need to watch out for your shooting technique even more.

Some photographers prefer using DSLR for the extra control they have to achieve the effects they want. Some photographers used a DSLR thinking that it will automatically achieve pro-looking photographs. Instead they may be in for a rude shock, as there is a steep learning curve to properly use a DSLR. A DSLR can make the job easier, but it doesn't neccessary mean it will achieve better photos. If you are seriously considering photography as a hobby, then by all means get a good DSLR setup and learn to enjoy photography.

From what i see here, the problem could be due to hand shake and shutter lag. A DSLR may help you to some extend but it's the technique to use the camera that matters. Maybe you want to try controlling your breathing and bump up the ISO to see if the results improved before deciding to jump into the DSLR world.

I seriously thinks that what he is encountering is the lack of Shutter Priority Control.
In the night, the compact will auto slow down the shutter when it has reached the max iso and still cannot compensate the lighting.
Thus, in a way with a dSLR, he can still keep the shutter at a higher speed (although that would means super dark pic, but at least a pic). A matter of more control I would say.

Please also note that turning to a dSLR doesn't mean better pic, but of course more control. You are able to decide for yourself what you want to for-go, rather then the camera decide for you.

But 2 thing to note. dSLR is a big investment. The accessories are normally at least 50% of your camera body. Also, you will get the buy buy buy more virus ;p

Thing 2, if you want to stick to Sony in the dSLR Realm, I would not recommend it (I used Sony all my life in Compact digital, but not the dSLR). I would not say too much about why before a brand war starts here. Just want you to know that there must be a reason why there are 2 leading brands in dSLR. That's why they are the leading brand.
:sweat:

Thanks joho for the reply, i admit my hand does shake when taking night pictures, for that i can't blame anything, its a user error. What i'm concern about is the picture snapped on moving object or people, the picture turns out to be blur. For an example, taking a picture during fireworks show, i took pictures with my digital camera on a tripot, no matter what mode i used, the picture doesn't turn out good, some of the picture were good, but some were very blur. I saw many other guys using a DSLR, so i presume a DSLR can do a much better job than a digital camera. So how is a digital camera compare to a DSLR? Pls alighten me...

it still seems like shake blur to me, given the example of the fireworks you mentioned. shake can be induced even on tripod, as kel has mentioned.

generally these should be the reasons why we upgrade to dslr:

- more control over settings such as shutter aperture iso wb
- better shutter lag
- better black out times
- faster autofocus
- better image quality in terms of resolution and noise
- versatile, ability to change lenses
- expandable via hotshoe or sync cable for studio and off camera lighting (some digicams with hot shoes can do this too)
- faster data transfer system
- higher frame rate

so the only real direct advantage is the resolution gain and less noise if u're talking about "better pics". if pic is bad in the first place, it will be worse in a dslr since u usually hve more pixels to work with.

perhaps a dslr can make it easier for you to take that image, but if that image is gonna be crap, dslr won't help. it'll just make it easier for u to take crap. =P

When you are unsatisfied with your equipment, it is time to change. Change only if you are limited, not because it is technologically better alright.

Many thanks to the info on DSLR provided by u guys. Now i do have a better understanding on DSLR. As the price of a DSLR is very costly(to me), so some serious consideration had to be made seriously before investing on a DSLR. Do u guys have any recommendation for my very first DSLR?

Can't wait to join u guys in the DSLR world snapping beautiful pictures.:sticktong

You may want to check out the B&S section. There are some very good cameras for sale. As to which model to chose, you have to test it out and make sure you feel comfortable holding it. Personally I would recommend the Sony A100, KM 5D or Pentax K100.

My point of view as a newcomer in this hobby , if u have small $ to spare u got afew choice to look ard model like D40 ,D50 from NIKON those 2 model will cost u ard 1k , for me i like D50 more in tis price range and if u got big ger $ to spare go for D70s or D80 those are below 2k , but take note D200 is not for beginner like u and me cost it dun have preset mode so for beginner it abit hard to understand , btw canon are as good too , but i will not suggest u any coz i nv try any canon DSLR b4 so i will like the canon user to give u info on that ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.