Advise On Which Manfrotto Tripod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

donchua

Nov 30, 2004
Tampines
My present set up is FZ10, Phayee adapter & Wide con.
Total weight of around 1.5kg.

Had check with CP for the below Manfrotto price:

Manfrotto 390B (non-changeable head) $100 (need to order)
Tripod weight with head weight 1.9kg.

Manfrotto 190 Pro $150 (in stock)
Manfrotto 486RC2 ball head $85 (in stock)
Tripod and head weitght 2.25kg.

Thinking of the 390B as cheaper by $135 & lighter.
Which Manfrotto to get?
Thanks.

To make you more confused, I will say get the Slik 330DX Pro. $130, 1.7KG holds 3KG weight and have removable head. Overall, lighter, cheaper but hold lesser weight until you get a DSLR. For DSLR you can also get the Slik 500DX Pro which is like $160, holds 5KG and weights 2.4KG.

Now my opinion is, if you are going to upgrade eventually to a DSLR and not want to buy another tripod again get the Manfrotto 190 or the Slik 500DX Pro. Both can change to another head (pan/ball) but the 500DX can go higher than the 190, and cheaper.

This world not only have Manfrotto, there are also Slik, Gittzo and many others. Look around and you will find that they are all good, just which one suits you more (your pocket and body size etc).

theITguy said:
To make you more confused, I will say get the Slik 330DX Pro. $130, 1.7KG holds 3KG weight and have removable head. Overall, lighter, cheaper but hold lesser weight until you get a DSLR. For DSLR you can also get the Slik 500DX Pro which is like $160, holds 5KG and weights 2.4KG.

Now my opinion is, if you are going to upgrade eventually to a DSLR and not want to buy another tripod again get the Manfrotto 190 or the Slik 500DX Pro. Both can change to another head (pan/ball) but the 500DX can go higher than the 190, and cheaper.

This world not only have Manfrotto, there are also Slik, Gittzo and many others. Look around and you will find that they are all good, just which one suits you more (your pocket and body size etc).

Not really confuse here.
Just looking for a 1.5KG to 2KG tripod yet price slightly above $100
and stable with my setup.

could consider the Slik Sprint Pro GM which weighs around 1kg and could support 2kg. but better to bring your setup to test.

I used it with the 20D and 18-125 with external flash (~1.5kg) with a head bought separately (the original head is quite weak).

donchua said:
My present set up is FZ10, Phayee adapter & Wide con.
Total weight of around 1.5kg.

Had check with CP for the below Manfrotto price:

Manfrotto 390B (non-changeable head) $100 (need to order)
Tripod weight with head weight 1.9kg.

Thinking of the 390B as cheaper by $135 & lighter.
Which Manfrotto to get?
Thanks.

It's an investment. Next time when you upgrade to DSLR with those hugh lens, you don't need to invest in a new tripod again.

The three tripods are comparable "heavy" compared to cabon-fibres ones or SILK.. But if you have to choose between these 3, then the difference in weight should not be a concern. When you are dead tired, even a SILK tripod is **** heavy.

And a heavy tripod offer more stability. And it will come in handy when a stupid photographer was to step in between your camera and your phography subject...;)

eric69 said:

It's an investment. Next time when you upgrade to DSLR with those hugh lens, you don't need to invest in a new tripod again.

The three tripods are comparable "heavy" compared to cabon-fibres ones or SILK.. But if you have to choose between these 3, then the difference in weight should not be a concern. When you are dead tired, even a SILK tripod is **** heavy.

And a heavy tripod offer more stability. And it will come in handy when a stupid photographer was to step in between your camera and your phography subject...;)

The price quoted by AP for 190B & 486RC2 is cheaper then CP.
BTW, the Nikon Ball Head tripod given free for D70 package during
last month IT Show look like the 190B & 486RC2 but weight at 2.5KG.
So how is the Nikon tripod as can get around $60 to $70.

donchua said:
The price quoted by AP for 190B & 486RC2 is cheaper then CP.
BTW, the Nikon Ball Head tripod given free for D70 package during
last month IT Show look like the 190B & 486RC2 but weight at 2.5KG.
So how is the Nikon tripod as can get around $60 to $70.
ESPN, where are you when your NIKON advice is needed most!!!

Donchua,
Hey, frankly I don't know whether the D70's tripod is the manotto's or not. But
I always trust in getting a good tripod. Tripod don't get spoil easily as it's purely mechanical parts. Just a grease here and there when you are free.. So I think if AP is offering it cheaper, then buy from AP lor. For camera stuffs, I'll go for CP, a matter of preference though.
Cheers.

eric69 said:
ESPN, where are you when your NIKON advice is needed most!!!

Donchua,
Hey, frankly I don't know whether the D70's tripod is the manotto's or not. But
I always trust in getting a good tripod. Tripod don't get spoil easily as it's purely mechanical parts. Just a grease here and there when you are free.. So I think if AP is offering it cheaper, then buy from AP lor. For camera stuffs, I'll go for CP, a matter of preference though.
Cheers.

I never say is lah, just said look like...

The ballhead given out at the Nikon IT Show is a Akairu ballhead, I used to have one that I sold away not long to upgrade to ***.

The D70 tripod is definitely not a manfrotto, but still usable for a light setup D70 + 70-200 I believe shouldn't be a prob, but probably only at landscape position and not portrait position :) the ball head can't support a D100 + grip + 24-120 VR without moving silghtly after locking. The weight wise it can support but the tension is not able to support.

I think the 486RC2 might face the same problem at portrait. :)

consider the above setup.
can hold more than 5kg (cant rem correctly).
got my ball head from MS last time (<$80).

mpenza said:
could consider the Slik Sprint Pro GM which weighs around 1kg and could support 2kg. but better to bring your setup to test.

I used it with the 20D and 18-125 with external flash (~1.5kg) with a head bought separately (the original head is quite weak).

This tripod is too light and weak to be considered stable with a SLR IMO.

Guys, just realize that Manfrotto tripod don't come with any bag.
CP quoted $36 for a Manfrotto bag.
So which bag to go with the 190 & 486RC2 and cheap?
Thanks.

I don't use bags, I prefer the optech strap. :)

u want cheap, then use normal sling bag strap.
i dont buy tripod bag, and using a normal sling bag strap too.

Status
Not open for further replies.