advise on taking big group photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

acewind

Jun 25, 2007
hi,
would like to get some advise on taking large group of people in a shot.
Eg, 2000 people to be in a photo.

Do we normally take segments of the large group and stitch them using photoshop? or is there a lens wide enough to take everyone in it? What camera and lens do you advise?

thansk!

Wow~
2000?
Hmm.. what size are you printing it on? no point making pinhead photos if you get what i mean. Anyway, the best bet would be to take multiple shots and stich all of them together.

(perhaps if you can tell us what you are using it for, we can better assist.)

My 2 cents.

Oh btw, even if you get the widest lens, i think you need to be quite away from them to fit 2000 into 1 photo.

2000?, you shooting a brigade of ppl??

Get a good super wide (little to no distortions) and get really far, or stitch.
2000 seems epic, yummy.

oh, is for a company who has about 2000 employee. They intend to take a big group of people in one shot. What size do you recommend to be printed on?

This one will most probably go into the guiness book of records for "the most people in a photo" category.:bsmilie:

I believe you have been to NS and have taken a platoon photo during your BMT. Using that as a gauge, 1 photo (8r) = 40 man (approx) with some room to spare. having 2000 would mean that even at poster size, the head would look like black dots. (i leave the math to you.)

Unless the intention of the photo is just to show the strength of the company and not to make out who is who, i suggest you advise the management to reconsider. perherap department photos?

use fork lift? lol

hi,
would like to get some advise on taking large group of people in a shot.
Eg, 2000 people to be in a photo.

Do we normally take segments of the large group and stitch them using photoshop? or is there a lens wide enough to take everyone in it? What camera and lens do you advise?

thansk!

oh, is for a company who has about 2000 employee. They intend to take a big group of people in one shot. What size do you recommend to be printed on?
for the size of the group, seriously I doubt why would a company will ask a person does not know what camera and lens to use, and come to a newbies corner to seek for advice to take up this task?

even for a professional it is also find this is a very difficult task, you need to shoot it in a stadium, building a scaffolding about three storey high as a shooting platform, and have outdoor PA system for crowd control, use medium or large format with digital back......how many assistants can you afford btw?

no budget, that why must do in house. out of nowhere, i am the unlucky one to tio arrow

no budget, that why must do in house. out of nowhere, i am the unlucky one to tio arrow

might as well tell your boss you are not up to it. making a mess of the job with 2000 pax involved (the entire company) is no joke. you will never live it down after that.

They don't seem serious for the photoshoot then, if they want to involve so many people but not hire a professional. Even if take a fast one hour, thats 2000 man hours. Maybe you just take 20 people, and clone 100 times.

if its inside a ballroom then not so bad as can get more lighting simply by turning on the lights or worse case using high beam lights aimed directly to brighten their faces.

if outside then pray pray the sun is on your side.

2000 is possible but you will need to enlarge significantly to identify who is who.

You may get sack if that shot turn out horrible. My advise, throw back to your boss, say 2000 people you cannot shoot, as ortega say, you cannot afford the cost of 2000 people time wasted.

2000 is no joke. think about where to place the people. This will probably take some time to sort out.
It is already a migraine sorting out perhaps 100 people, let alone 20 times the amount.

And I believe equipment wise is important. You will probably need alot alot of stands and benches to fit everyone into the photo AND be seen.
Alternatively, you can take from the second or third floor down on them, but it wouldnt be that 'formal' unless you can pull it off nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.