Advise on Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sjourn

Aug 9, 2004
Punggol 21
Thinking of either getting a IBM thinkpad T43 or Acer 5500, I've seen the specs, but can anyone advise your experience on this models? Thanks..

IBM Thinkpads are tried and tested. Especially the "T" series. By all means get the THINKPAD!!! If you got lobang to get from Uni students, even better! Opt for the multi-burner upgrade though. It's worth it.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
dumping your Sony?

Already dumped to one of my engineers...tt's why need one for myself.

What I wrestling with is that Think pad is more ex with lower specs, and Acer is checper but with higher specs. That's why need ppl with experience to comment on realiabilty.

Sjourn said:

What I wrestling with is that Think pad is more ex with lower specs, and Acer is checper but with higher specs. That's why need ppl with experience to comment on realiabilty.

To add on. A thinkpad, if well taken care of, will last you more than 3 years. Uni students can get it at ~$2180 (I think). plus ($300) to beef it up with bluetooth, bigger harddisk and multi-burner.

My experience with Acer notebooks is that, they tend to give problems (the mainboard) after about 1.5 years. Others may feel otherwise, or maybe those that I've encountered are "lemons".

Sjourn said:

u should take aftersales service as 1 of the more important criteria... IBM is by far better at that...

haven't used acer .. but using T43. depending on purpose ... but i dun like the intel pro express video card that come default wiuth some model ( can't use higher refresh rate ; hence display will appear slower. good to use ATI.

For IBM labtops, you can ensure there is regular updates on BIOS, software etc hence you get the optimum perf and bug fix supports.

T43 also comes with hard disk stabilizer and other enhance security features ... It does give you some assurance that your laptop is safe to use. So far ( touchwood ) my laptop haven't break down since 2 years.

It is quite heavy for some ladies. If weight is a factor, you may want to consider X41.

I suggest a minimum config of 512mb ( recommended 1Gb ) for RAM, 80GB harddisk ( 5400 RPMs ), 15inch and a good support for drivers/BIOS updates. With this, any laptops that fell under these categories should be good. The rest will be personal prefs

We have the T43, and it's a well built laptop, thin, light, and reliable. It has a small form factor, but still has a fantastic full size keyboard. I know there are other thinner, lighter and faster models, but the Thinkpads have never let me down.

I've never used the Acer model, so I can't comment on that one.

Thinkpad. :thumbsup:

I did use a acer b4 long time ago, I think the model was travelmate 325 or something like that about 4-5 years ago, crashed on me after 3months and I sold it off. So now thinking whether have they improved on current models or is it still less realiable?

For IBM, I know some ppl, say that it is very reliable. but I have no experience on it.

Keep the comment coming...thanks.

singapurasteve said:
We have the T43, and it's a well built laptop, thin, light, and reliable. It has a small form factor, but still has a fantastic full size keyboard. I know there are other thinner, lighter and faster models, but the Thinkpads have never let me down.

I've never used the Acer model, so I can't comment on that one.

Thinkpad. :thumbsup:

Hi steve, it's along time that I've not heard from you since photoaid. Hope all's well with you.:thumbsup:

something exclusive
1) i used T42/T43 off fields and subjected to dusts and hostile env. So far the laptops are doing fine. =)

2) Power management, i haven't seem laptops that can use more time than T series. I must say T43 or T series got the best power management around. with extended battery, you can used for a 7 hours ( web surf + office doc ) or 5 hours ( web surf + running servers + running vmware + compilings of codes )

3) i used cisco card on top of the wireless feature. If you are into wireless, the cisco card may offer more goodies in terms of driver supports and perf. I use it with linux, windows etc.

4) all in all, when you are in warmer env, blow a fan on your laptop ! I never use a laptop without external fan or air con. It does helps to keep the laptop running over the years.

thinkpads are built like a tank,

i could nv use one tho.. i need my windows key :bsmilie:

my asus notebook has been serving me well since mar 03.

only the cd-rw has broken down, but its mostly my fault since i dont really take care of it.

14", 2.2kg.. still after 3 years, one of the lighter notebooks out there.

Go IBM you will never regret....go non IBM you will later regret :lovegrin:

Wellcome to the darkside :heart:

Personally I prefer X-series for the mobility :)

IF reliability is important for you, go for THINKPAD.

Anyway, THINKPAD is no longer under the IBM banner.

Canew said:
IF reliability is important for you, go for THINKPAD.

Anyway, THINKPAD is no longer under the IBM banner.
IBM T43 is still under IBM banner.

Using the IBM T43, superb quality and performance. Hasn't hung once yet. Photo editing is also smooth and easy, without having to wait long long for the functions to load. Gaming is fast too...:) :)
PS: My laptop is switched on almost 7hours everyday non-stop

IBM T43
1.86Ghz
2GB RAM

+evenstar said:
IBM T43 is still under IBM banner.

Using the IBM T43, superb quality and performance. Hasn't hung once yet. Photo editing is also smooth and easy, without having to wait long long for the functions to load. Gaming is fast too...:) :)
PS: My laptop is switched on almost 7hours everyday non-stop

IBM T43
1.86Ghz
2GB RAM

2GB ram?:bigeyes: No wonder smooth gaming....

Wow,,looks like a lot of strong supporters of IBM...

My usuage is about 12 hrs daily most of the time, besides the word and excel, I use PS, ProE and Autocad and other software too.

The more I hear from you guys, 'm beginning to sway into that *dark* side already, now that I've heard all the good stuffs, is there no bad stuff about it?:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.