Advise on Digi Cam

Status
Not open for further replies.

swiftdragon

May 30, 2003
Visit site
Hi ... I am new to this forum and quite interested in photography. I know that this question has been asked several times, but I do need some advise as to which camera I should get. Am hoping to get a camera soon (perhaps at the PC show if there are good buys)

The following are the specs...
01. Budget? below S$1500
02. Megapixel count? At least 3.2mp
03. Optical zoom factor? At least 3X
04. Size? Not an impt factor..
05. Type of batteries used? Indifferent..just as long it does die after 30 shots.
06. Weight? Not too heavy...
07. Able to mount lenses/filters? Yes..prefered
08. Manual controls required? Yes.
09. Auto-Focus Speed? Don't really know... just as long it doesn't take ages.
10. What kind of pictures are you hoping to take? All sorts... more for taking ppl and for holiday use.

I was thinking of getting a G3 or a A70. I have a low-end SLR (Canon 88) and I was thinking of buying an external flash for it. I hope to use it with a G3 (if I get this camera). Can i get a flash that can be used on both cameras? If yes, which one??

THanks in advance for your advise.

Originally posted by swiftdragon
Hi ... I am new to this forum and quite interested in photography. I know that this question has been asked several times, but I do need some advise as to which camera I should get. Am hoping to get a camera soon (perhaps at the PC show if there are good buys)

01. Budget? below S$1500
05. Type of batteries used? Indifferent..just as long it does die after 30 shots.
10. What kind of pictures are you hoping to take? All sorts... more for taking ppl and for holiday use.

I was thinking of getting a G3 or a A70. I have a low-end SLR (Canon 88) and I was thinking of buying an external flash for it. I hope to use it with a G3 (if I get this camera). Can i get a flash that can be used on both cameras? If yes, which one??

Seems like the Canon G3 suits your requirements. Yes you can get any of the canon ex series flash e.g 380ex, 420ex which will fit on the G3 as well as on your SLR

:)

Originally posted by swiftdragon

01. Budget? below S$1500

Don't think there is a interchangable Digital SLR for less then $1500. Why do you want a camera that the battery will dies in 30 shots???? :what: (See point 5). If you are using a Canon SLR and got an external flash for it, it should (in theory) works with G3. Get Speedlite 550ex Flashlight ;P

Opps... for the battery life.. what I meant was "it shoud NOT die after 30 shots".

Hmm... looks like I am going to get a G3.

thanks

yeah this list sounds totally G3-ish to me! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

there's also a fuji s602 but.. er... i dunno if it's above 3.2mp (i dun bother with the 6mp CCD stuff... to me that's a 3mp cam)

A site which I often go if I cannot make my decision :)

http://www.dpreview.com/

by the way, A70 cannot mount external flash, G3 can ;). So I
guess

01. Budget? below S$1500

Both Qualify

A70 - 3.19megapixel, G3 3.9 Megapixel - G3

Both Qualify

Both Qualify - however, charge the battery to less then 10% full if you wants it to die after 30 shots ;)

What is Not too heavy??

Both Disqualified

Both Qualify

Anyway, just got a Sigma 500 ST (DG) and still quite happy with it. ;)

A70 do not have Hot Shoe mount, so cannot use External Flash

With the comparsion, I guess G3 will suit you better :)

Looking at your requirements, I would say the PowerShot G3 would be the best bet. It can take on a lens adapter that you can screw on various filters and tele/wide lenses, and more importantly, a distinct advantage over the A70 is the presence of the flashgun hotshoe mount, recommended flash would be the 420EX, it will make a significant difference to your pics. You can also use it on your EOS 88. :)

However u should take note of the one major flaw of G3, in that the lens barrel blocks part of the OVF (optical viewfinder) when u look thru it at full tele. If you're not an OVF/EVF freak, its easy to adapt to snapping pics using the excellent 1.8 inch flip out LCD screen (the greatest asset of the cam IMO)

Hope this helps!

Originally posted by blurblock
Don't think there is a interchangable Digital SLR for less then $1500.
I beg to differ. (See sig) :D

Originally posted by Garion

Hope this helps!

I beg to differ. (See sig) :D [/B]

Hehe .... D30 discontinued, and the selling price was still higher then $1500 ;P, effective pixel still less then 3.2 ;)

Originally posted by blurblock
Hehe .... D30 discontinued, and the selling price was still higher then $1500 ;P, effective pixel still less then 3.2 ;)
Well....its still available 2nd hand. And (personally) I think megapixel count isn't that significant for the case of D30...its ability to produce relatively smooth, noise-free images at moderate to high ISO speeds is. Whether 4 or 5 megapixels, dun think any current prosumer cams can replicate that. :)

did you draft ur requirements after reading G3 specs.. looks like it is drafted for G3 ;)

I think in 1500 budget, u can get a decent used D30, and a used 28-105 3.5-4.5 EF lense.. add another 100+ u can get a 380EX/420EX (used)... This combination will easily beat any prosumer cam you are looking...

Since you already have an canon SLR, maybe u can initially use the same lenses with D30 (save some bucks for flash)... slowly you can build a SLR kit, with a Digital body, a film camera body, a flash and lenses which can be used on both bodies.

Only disadvantage I find with the above combo is the size (For you it doesn't matter right :D .. You loose the flexibility of carrying a small digicam in ur pocket and shoot whatever comes across in ur day to day life..

U could search for used D30's on CS..

good luck.. whatever u choose finally dont forget to share ur pictures with us..

I had the G3 in mind when I wrote the specs. Though I really like the feel of the CP5700, the price was a little daunting and I can't even share a flash with my film SLR.

I am now considering getting the A70 to play ard with it first and but a DSLR in the future (when prices falls and i earn more $$). Am really a newbie at photography:embrass: , am still learning thru trial and error how to use the manual features on my film SLR (quite a costly hobby indeed). Maybe I shd attend SEED and get tips from the pros.

Thanks for all the advice... will go down to the PC show and see if there are any good buys.

You might just want to hang on to getting the G3 a bit as Canon just announce the release of the G5 which is essentially a 5 MegaPixel version of the G3 and comes in a very cool black body.

It is believed the price of the G5 will match the 5700. Wait is good but the price is very 'good' too.

Originally posted by espn
It is believed the price of the G5 will match the 5700. Wait is good but the price is very 'good' too.

I think the G5 will be released in a couple of months. I think the price will most be around 1200-1300. If not, no point for a price drop for the G3, if a new G5 is priced the same as CP5700.

Status
Not open for further replies.