Advise on Best Lens for Pentax K5

i don't own alot of lenses .... but the 77ltd is magical ...

I don't know what is best for you, but anything with a 10mm focal length seems to work for me. :bsmilie:

While my magic is the FA43.

So the best lens is a myth. :)

Everyone has a different best lens.

That's true!

And my magic lens is the A50/1.4...

My thinkings:
- Pentax 18-135mm WR
- Sigma 70mm f2.8 Macro
It's enough.

Thank you!:) will look-out for the next outing! need to learn from all the fellow pentaxians!

is the DA 40mm F2.8mm pancake lens a good-value-for-money portrait lens?

Depends how much you want to spend...the premium is because it is a pancake lens. There is also the cheaper DA 35mm f/2.4 which is pretty good.

If by portrait lens you mean shallow DOF which is a popular association nowadays, its pretty fine for headshots.
More than that, a longer FL and faster lens is better.

If you just mean not much distortion, pretty good working distance for portraits, its a good lens to use for portraits.

Personally, I think 50mm on APS-C works better in both aspects mentioned above. (not too expensive too)
35mm and 40mm can be pressed into service for portraits too. Just that personally, I find them to be all rounders rather than portrait lenses.

If by portrait lens you mean shallow DOF which is a popular association nowadays, its pretty fine for headshots.
More than that, a longer FL and faster lens is better.

If you just mean not much distortion, pretty good working distance for portraits, its a good lens to use for portraits.

Personally, I think 50mm on APS-C works better in both aspects mentioned above. (not too expensive too)
35mm and 40mm can be pressed into service for portraits too. Just that personally, I find them to be all rounders rather than portrait lenses.

Personally once i bought the DA* 50-135mm, it became my portrait lens of choice. Its not just the image is sharp, each image has its own character.

Thank you for the nice info!

Currently on 18-135mm kit lens.
Maybe my skill level not there yet, lol.

Thank you for the nice info!

Currently on 18-135mm kit lens.
Maybe my skill level not there yet, lol.
Dont sweat it, i was there once. Did not have cash for fast lens or rental at that time so used a 18-55mm to photograph thai royalty when they came to SG. Thankfully, got the knack of using flash beforehand.

Reportage said:
Dont sweat it, i was there once. Did not have cash for fast lens or rental at that time so used a 18-55mm to photograph thai royalty when they came to SG. Thankfully, got the knack of using flash beforehand.

Agree that gear is not everything but if someone is paying good money for your Pro services and you show up with sub par or unsuitable equipment you are basically cutting corners in your service just like a dodgy contractor or a Chinese melamine milk manufacturer. But maybe your Pro skills allowed you to overcome your equipment limitations, or not.