Advise on 24" wide screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hahhaha!!
I have a very devilish update! :devil::devil:

This evening I just called up DELL and ask them to take back my 2407 for a full refund (But i must pay $35 for the shipping.) Because I really cannot tahan the color and brightness anymore. I'm having headache everyday for the past few days since I got the monitor. I've calibrated for more than 5 times over 2 days but the color are really way off.

Just a few hours ago, I went to the Apple shop and get a Cinema Display 20"!!! :devil: Now it feels much better. The viewing angle is better than Dell, at least the blacks don't lose their contrast when I shift to my sides.. Colors are more accurate even at factory default. Words appear sharper too - I can move further away from the screen and still see the words I'm typing :) Now I'm warming the monitor up and going to calibrate it later.

Not saying the Dell is not good, but a side by side comparison, the Apple is even better :thumbsup:

hahhaha!!

This evening I just called up DELL and ask them to take back my 2407 for a full refund (But i must pay $35 for the shipping.) Because I really cannot tahan the color and brightness anymore. I'm having headache everyday for the past few days since I got the monitor. I've calibrated for more than 5 times over 2 days but the color are really way off.

Just a few hours ago, I went to the Apple shop and get a Cinema Display 20"!!! :devil: Now it feels much better. The viewing angle is better than Dell, at least the blacks don't lose their contrast when I shift to my sides.. Colors are more accurate even at factory default. Words appear sharper too - I can move further away from the screen and still see the words I'm typing :) Now I'm warming the monitor up and going to calibrate it later.

Not saying the Dell is not good, but a side by side comparison, the Apple is even better :thumbsup:
How come only 20 inch? Difficult to compare it with the 24 inch. Should have bought the 23 inch mar.............I have a 20inch Dell at home too. It's not so bright as my 24inch because of the size. So cannot compare at all. 20inch ACD brightness is not so bright.

Apple's 20 inch is 300 cd/m2 and 400 cd/m2 for 23 inch

Dell's 24 inch is 400 cd/m2 and 20 inch is 300 cd/m2

So you are actually viewing less bright monitor which is exactly the same as DELL 20inch. You could have bought a DELL 20inch for around SGD$599 instead of ACD SGD$1017.00 which has only a 700:1 in contrast comparable to DELL's 800:1 contrast ratio. Paying more for casing and name.

how come no on talked about the samsung or LG`S monitors?

Because this monitors are either manufactured by either Samsung or LG.:bsmilie:

Price on Samsung and LG screens are quite competitive as well. I guess they have their own share of market but 24 inch is seldom seen in the market. 20-22 inch screens are mostly seen in places like SLS and Funan.

hahhaha!!

Juz got my 24" and installed in 30mins. Looks ok, but got a little bluish tint. otherwise ok.

hahhaha!!

How to arrange for return? I got terrible headache using this screen. Must try to return

How come only 20 inch? Difficult to compare it with the 24 inch. Should have bought the 23 inch mar.............I have a 20inch Dell at home too. It's not so bright as my 24inch because of the size. So cannot compare at all. 20inch ACD brightness is not so bright.

Apple's 20 inch is 300 cd/m2 and 400 cd/m2 for 23 inch

Dell's 24 inch is 400 cd/m2 and 20 inch is 300 cd/m2

So you are actually viewing less bright monitor which is exactly the same as DELL 20inch. You could have bought a DELL 20inch for around SGD$599 instead of ACD SGD$1017.00 which has only a 700:1 in contrast comparable to DELL's 800:1 contrast ratio. Paying more for casing and name.

23" ACD too expensive lahh heehehe..
But seriously the ACD is sharper than the Dell from what I see here.

The Dell 24" also have a very strange problem with the contrast (I don't know if you guys have it).. When I adjust the contrast, everytime i press the button, the screen will have red and green tint alternatively.

I've been staring at my ACD for many hours today but no headache so far. Previously I'll get headache after using just 2-3 hours on the Dell.

I don't doubt the Dell's quality, but I guess mine was a not-so-good set.. For me QC is very important as I don't want to have any problem next time.. Even if they give me a 1-to-1 exchange and I have to pray hard for a perfectly working set, that's not what I want to do. hehee

Juz got my 24" and installed in 30mins. Looks ok, but got a little bluish tint. otherwise ok.

My factory setting for Dell was very saturated and heavy red tint.. Wondering if the QC is really alright?? :dunno:

How to arrange for return? I got terrible headache using this screen. Must try to return

I called up Dell and ask for a return. As simple as that.

My factory setting for Dell was very saturated and heavy red tint.. Wondering if the QC is really alright?? :dunno:

Guess it wasn't warmed up bah... now it's better.

yes, red is saturated. things with red components seemed more reddish.

Anyone know how to tone down the red curve. using vista, nvidia combo.

23" ACD too expensive lahh heehehe..
But seriously the ACD is sharper than the Dell from what I see here.

The Dell 24" also have a very strange problem with the contrast (I don't know if you guys have it).. When I adjust the contrast, everytime i press the button, the screen will have red and green tint alternatively.

I've been staring at my ACD for many hours today but no headache so far. Previously I'll get headache after using just 2-3 hours on the Dell.

I don't doubt the Dell's quality, but I guess mine was a not-so-good set.. For me QC is very important as I don't want to have any problem next time.. Even if they give me a 1-to-1 exchange and I have to pray hard for a perfectly working set, that's not what I want to do. hehee

Haha.....bro....I don't doubt ACD quality too.

There is some info which I think you may have some misunderstanding. What you are viewing is a less bright screen because is only 20 inch. Which in turn may not cause your headache. You may still have headache if you own the 23inch ACD.

This is to let everyone know that if some of you may not get use to view a wide screen such as 23-24inch monitors due to the brightness. This is due that we are sitting very close to the monitor. 20inch on the other hand is a little better due to less brightness and small area which cause less strain to your eyes.

Both monitors are fantastic by it's standard.

Something to share.

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2940&p=1

behyx is right on the headache on prolong hours on the 24 inch on the brightness. No doubt about it that he is right. So it really depends on the user's end. If you are used to a brighter screen, Dell is the way to go. If you have $$$$$ and want to look good plus minus the headache, then ACD will be your choice.

Actually I tihnk its both a matter of calibration and a matter of getting used to.

When I first got the Dell 24" LCD, I was like blinded. First thing is because my old screen was a 15" so suddenly facing so much light is a bit of a jump.

I tahaned about 2 days and almost decided to return it.

Next I decided to try to calibrate since people said they had positive results after calibration - and after calibration and profiling, it improved a lot more.

After that, within 2-3 days, everything was fine.

Now, I think its very good. neutral colours, nothing funny.

Something to share.

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2940&p=1

behyx is right on the headache on prolong hours on the 24 inch on the brightness. No doubt about it that he is right. So it really depends on the user's end. If you are used to a brighter screen, Dell is the way to go. If you have $$$$$ and want to look good plus minus the headache, then ACD will be your choice.

Actually I tihnk its both a matter of calibration and a matter of getting used to.

When I first got the Dell 24" LCD, I was like blinded. First thing is because my old screen was a 15" so suddenly facing so much light is a bit of a jump.

I tahaned about 2 days and almost decided to return it.

Next I decided to try to calibrate since people said they had positive results after calibration - and after calibration and profiling, it improved a lot more.

After that, within 2-3 days, everything was fine.

Now, I think its very good. neutral colours, nothing funny.

Yeah that is only one screen for you....haha. I have a dual screen..........blinded liao.....:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.