Advise needed

kcs1122

Mar 29, 2009
Hi guys Can I have some advise?
Mainly shooting my own kids Currently on 28-300 w 50 1.4 (d700) Somehow don't really like to bring 28-300 out for daily use unless I need to zoom alot and it seem too slow for my kids under lowlight. Is it advisable to get 35 f2 (wide) + 85 1.4 (portrait) for lighter n faster daily walkabout lens and keep 28-300 for touring use and dump the 50

Or

Dump 28-300 and get a 24-70 n pair with my 50mm 1.4.

Mainly use for portrait .

Last edited:
Your 50 1.4 is good enough for shooting kids & portraits under low light if you use D700. Practise more with your 50 1.4 first. If you can't get good shots with the 50 1.4 under low light, you won't get good shots with the much more expensive 85 1.4 or 24-70 either.

I think TS thinks he still needs a flexible zoom lens in case if he needs wider angle in a confine area such as our humble HDB flats.
In my opinion, 50mm is too tight for HDB context, unless you are only going for headshot.

Yes I like the result of my 50 . And it on the body most of the time. But just that sometimes it not wide enough or I can't go further away to take more natural shot . I only bring my 28-300 to outing like zoo, tour,

For daily use I prefer something light , that why considering dump 50 n get 35 + 85 .
N if go tour bring my 28-300 for walkabout and 85 for portrait .

Or

Dump 28-300 since hardly use , get sigma 24-70 ( not much top up )
And go w my 50. This way is good even under low light and good for portrait indoor too. But not light enough for my daily use .

ur 50 is not wide enough and zoom lens is easier to capture kids running around. so nikkor 24-70 f2.8 is a good choice if u have the budget, if not sigma's.

50mm on a full frame D700 is still okay actually for indoor, not too tight like 85mm or 135mm. I use it a lot for shooting guests' candids during wedding reception at closed distance and low light. Basically 50mm on full frame has the similar field of view like human eyes. What you see through your eyes is what you get from the 50mm. If 50mm is still too tight for you, you can try the 35mm or even 24mm.
The setup of 35 f2 + 85 1.4 will cost around $1800-2000 while the 50mm is $400-800 depend on whether it is AF-D or G version.

For myself, if go walkabout with family and friends, I will only bring a 24mm, enough for shooting a group of people, landscape, big head funny shots, up to full body portraits, close-up macro-like shots, etc.

Last edited:
ur 50 is not wide enough and zoom lens is easier to capture kids running around. so nikkor 24-70 f2.8 is a good choice if u have the budget, if not sigma's.

yup. therefore might get a 24-70 sigma coz not much top up if i let go my 28-300.

50mm on a full frame D700 is still okay actually for indoor, not too tight like 85mm or 135mm. I use it a lot for shooting guests' candids during wedding reception at closed distance and low light. Basically 50mm on full frame has the similar field of view like human eyes. What you see through your eyes is what you get from the 50mm. If 50mm is still too tight for you, you can try the 35mm or even 24mm.
The setup of 35 f2 + 85 1.4 will cost around $1800-2000 while the 50mm is $400-800 depend on whether it is AF-D or G version.

For myself, if go walkabout with family and friends, I will only bring a 24mm, enough for shooting a group of people, landscape, big head funny shots, up to full body portraits, close-up macro-like shots, etc.

cant decide to get a 24-70 sigma pair w 50 or go with 2 prime lens either 24 or 35 + 85(love the bokeh) n keep my 28-300 for birdpark n zoo use only.

i also just use my 50mm most of the time with family walkabout.

Last edited:
f/2.8 can give nice bokeh too since subject is far from the background most of the time during outdoor. if you do not use fill light, you wont be able to use large aperture anyway with the sun behind the subject.

f/2.8 can give nice bokeh too since subject is far from the background most of the time during outdoor. if you do not use fill light, you wont be able to use large aperture anyway with the sun behind the subject.

how your 85mm 1.8?
so u also recommend 24-70 _ 50??

35 + 85 is it enough or haVE to go for 24 + 85?
in sg daily use for me i think no much issue giving up zoom. only till outing or travel.

kcs1122 said:
35 + 85 is it enough or haVE to go for 24 + 85?
in sg daily use for me i think no much issue giving up zoom. only till outing or travel.

Which focal length to get is really up to you. If you have a zoom lens, mount it and test at the focal length in question to see if you like it. If you don't own any lens, try renting the lens to see if you like it.

Actually if you don't shoot assignments like weddings, events, models and only shoot your kids and family, a single focal length like 24mm and 35mm is already good enough for constraint situations like low light and tight space. You can shoot a lot of nice photos with one single prime lens.
Don't be confused by the different focal lengths. Practise to shoot with one single focal length from different angle and review your shots. You will understand it soon.

kentwong81 said:
Actually if you don't shoot assignments like weddings, events, models and only shoot your kids and family, a single focal length like 24mm and 35mm is already good enough for constraint situations like low light and tight space. You can shoot a lot of nice photos with one single prime lens.
Don't be confused by the different focal lengths. Practise to shoot with one single focal length from different angle and review your shots. You will understand it soon.

Maybe try out 35 + 85 combo . N after a period of time if still refuse to touch 28-300 . Then sell it off . As for the 50 1.4 can change to a 35 f2 without extra cost

i have the same set up the 35 and 85 for walkabout... enough for me..

me too.. alto mine is a crop sensor.. but my working fov for my 2 prime lens is approx 35 and 75... but 98% is 35mm FOV (24mm f2.8).. what i can get in i frame in.. what is too big i crop away.. what i cant get in will be left out... lightness is my need...

With 35 n 85 guess it be super light n compact . Hope won't cold treat my 28-300 in the dry cab . Heh

Any more advise from others ?
Anyone prefer 24-70 w 50 as daily lens ?

U mean currently ? Lol. I using 50 1.4 most of the time . That why trying to see if 35 n 85 how the feedback of this combination . That the best glass I guess I can afford

Those are great but extremely costly, I'm assuming u are referring to the 1.4 versions as well. A single nikon 24-70mm F/2.8 is a cheaper option than two of those lens.