Advise Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

snapboy

Apr 9, 2004
Tian Jin
Hi all,

I just took up photography about two months ago. Currently, I using my friend Nikon F75. I would like to get my own camera. But i do not know whether film camera is better or digital camera is better? I need some advise as to which type of camera is better for a newbie like me who want to take up photography??? :)

better is subjective. it depends on what you want. i shoot digital because its workflow suits me better... i like post production and digital manipulation. cant say the same for you. thus you gotta find this out yourself.

Digital camera is better for u, so u don't have to waste $$ on developing photos since u are new to photography

snapboy said:
Hi all,

I need some advise as to which type of camera is better for a newbie like me who want to take up photography??? :)

If you are looking at buying an SLR/D-SLR camera I would have to say start of with a second hand manual focus camera with a 50mm lens and learn the basics. Then if you want to stick with photography look at buying an AF SLR/D-SLR.

i have a friend asking me to buy a second hand nikon FM2 t start wif.. is this carmer good??? :)

very good.
u might wanna tell us ur budget,so dat we can be more specific..

My budget is less than 500 including lens... Is this possible??? :dunno:

have u decided on ur brand yet ?
u want Autofocus or manual ?
are u happy with a non zoom lens(but better)?
do u foresee urself taking alot of pix indoor with frds ?(flash)

kex said:
have u decided on ur brand yet ?
u want Autofocus or manual ?
are u happy with a non zoom lens(but better)?
do u foresee urself taking alot of pix indoor with frds ?(flash)

you mean there more than one brand??? I was think of nikon fm2..I thinking of using auto but my frd insist manual..
AS for the thirdd and fouth question.. i not sure wat it mean...I thought flash is in bulit iin the cam..

snapboy said:
you mean there more than one brand??? I was think of nikon fm2..I thinking of using auto but my frd insist manual..
AS for the thirdd and fouth question.. i not sure wat it mean...I thought flash is in bulit iin the cam..

Nikon isn't the only major camera maker around.. Canon, Minolta, Pentax and previously Olympus makes good SLRs.

The Nikon FM2 is a fully maual camera, good if you like manual and want to start out from the very basics of basics. However, if you occasionally want to take those point n shoot type of pictures (ie just click and snap without worrying about exposure etc), then it would be better to go for a autofocus camera. Using an autofocus camera gives you as much control over the camera as a manual camera, with the added benefit of auto-everything when you need it.

Lenses can be broadly divided into two types: zoom lens and prime lens. A zoom length means that the focal length is variable, e.g a 70-200mm zoom, or a 17-35mm zoom. If you've played with your friend's F75, most probably you would have used either a 28-80mm or a 28-100mm zoom lens. Standing in one spot you can zoom in and out using the zoom lens (ie picture you see get bigger and smaller).

A prime lens on the other hand has a fixed focal length, eg. 50mm, 24mm, 180mm. It's fixed, so if you want to get 'bigger' or 'smaller' picture, you have to physically move yourself to get closer or further away.

Zoom lenses are more convenient, but prime lenses are lighter and usually much better optically speaking than a zoom of around the same price.

Most cameras nowadays come with a built in speedlight (flash). However the FM2 you are looking at do NOT have a built in speedlight, so you need to buy a speedlight if you want to take flash photography. Most people buy an external speedlight and attach it to their camera because either the built in flash is not strong enough, or they need to tilt/swivel/bounce the flash (don't worry about this yet).

I strongly suggest you borrow some basic photography books from the library to learn more, especially things such as exposure etc. It would help you alot in the future and enable you to take better photographs. :D

justarius said:
Nikon isn't the only major camera maker around.. Canon, Minolta, Pentax and previously Olympus makes good SLRs.

The Nikon FM2 is a fully maual camera, good if you like manual and want to start out from the very basics of basics. However, if you occasionally want to take those point n shoot type of pictures (ie just click and snap without worrying about exposure etc), then it would be better to go for a autofocus camera. Using an autofocus camera gives you as much control over the camera as a manual camera, with the added benefit of auto-everything when you need it.

Lenses can be broadly divided into two types: zoom lens and prime lens. A zoom length means that the focal length is variable, e.g a 70-200mm zoom, or a 17-35mm zoom. If you've played with your friend's F75, most probably you would have used either a 28-80mm or a 28-100mm zoom lens. Standing in one spot you can zoom in and out using the zoom lens (ie picture you see get bigger and smaller).

A prime lens on the other hand has a fixed focal length, eg. 50mm, 24mm, 180mm. It's fixed, so if you want to get 'bigger' or 'smaller' picture, you have to physically move yourself to get closer or further away.

Zoom lenses are more convenient, but prime lenses are lighter and usually much better optically speaking than a zoom of around the same price.

Most cameras nowadays come with a built in speedlight (flash). However the FM2 you are looking at do NOT have a built in speedlight, so you need to buy a speedlight if you want to take flash photography. Most people buy an external speedlight and attach it to their camera because either the built in flash is not strong enough, or they need to tilt/swivel/bounce the flash (don't worry about this yet).

I strongly suggest you borrow some basic photography books from the library to learn more, especially things such as exposure etc. It would help you alot in the future and enable you to take better photographs. :D

Thanks for the great info.. it of great help for a newbie like me...I get the books and read up more...

Status
Not open for further replies.