Advise Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gennie

Dec 1, 2009
Hi

I am new in DSLR camera and I have a few question to ask, hope all guru can give me more advise, I need DSLR camera for my doggies and dolls.

1) Which brand to get Nikkon or Canon
2) Canon 500D or Nikon 5000
3) Should I get 2nd hand Camera or New

Thanks & Regards
Gen

;)

Hi

I am new in DSLR camera and I have a few question to ask, hope all guru can give me more advise, I need DSLR camera for my doggies and dolls.

Thanks & Regards
Gen

;)

1) Nikon, my personal preference, can't explain why and not that Canon is no good.
2) Nikon D5000.
3) 2nd hand or new as long as it is workable and affordable. Then again, D5000 is still quite new so not a lot in the used market and even have, the price is close to a new set so might as well as the new set. If your budget allows, go for a used D300.

For dolls, a D5000 and tripod would suffice. With most lenses, since your subject is not moving, you don't need high ISO, and with a tripod you don't have to worry about slow shutter speed.

For doggies, it's challenging. Since they are generally moving a lot. You need a fast shutter speed to capture sharp images. So you either need a fast lens or get a good body that will allow higher ISO without adding unacceptable noise level to your photos. Like D300, D300S, D700, D3, D3X, D3S.

But for a start D5000 would do. Not familiar with Canon so can't advise.

Hi

Thanks & Regards
Gen

;)

I am new to televisions and have a few questions to ask, hope all experts can give me more advice. I need a TV to watch Channel 5 and ESPN.

1) Which brand to get Samsung or Sony
2) Samsung UN46B6000 or Sony Bravia KDL-46V5100
3) Should I get 2nd hand tv or new

Hi

Thanks & Regards
Gen

;)

Any entry level DSLR will do, from any brand. The differences are narrow.
The important thing to consider is longer term i.e. if you are going to spend money on good glass. The costs can spiral to satisfy your wants/needs.
Best is to play with each cam model within yr buget then decide on the one that makes you feel happiest.

I am new to televisions and have a few questions to ask, hope all experts can give me more advice. I need a TV to watch Channel 5 and ESPN.

Pioneer? :dunno:

Hi I saw a review online that suggests this one from Sharp quite good : http://www.cepro.com/slideshow/image/2076/ :bsmilie:

Anyway, to Gennie: just go to the shop and try which one you like the feel of and are more comfortable with. Specs wise, not much diff between the 2 if you shoot dogs and dolls. Also consider the lenses you might want to get. Best to go to a good friendly shop and try + ask for advice.

hahha to me wide angle of view and reproducable color space quite impt. for monitors la. hahaha the rest of what refresh rate la clarity la, no use one... the source video chui you got these features also no use. if soccer is recorded with a mid~high speed camera like 1000+fps, then these will matter.

canon nikon canon nikon. i chose canon because at first most of my friends is canon, den can chare equipment. after a while i realise all my new photog friends carry nikon... zzz hahaha now i got more nikon friends than canon.

I suggest u read a few more threads in this forum. There's a lot of camera recommendations threads floating around, and reading them will greatly increase ur knowledge on dslr.

Finally, i'll like to say that there are other brands of dslr besides canon and Nikon. Besides having a much cheaper price tag, they even offer more functions.

Take a look around the various "recommend me a dslr threads" here first before u make any decision :)

Last edited:
visage356 said:
Hi I saw a review online that suggests this one from Sharp quite good : http://www.cepro.com/slideshow/image/2076/ :bsmilie:

Anyway, to Gennie: just go to the shop and try which one you like the feel of and are more comfortable with. Specs wise, not much diff between the 2 if you shoot dogs and dolls. Also consider the lenses you might want to get. Best to go to a good friendly shop and try + ask for advice.

IsenGrim said:
hahha to me wide angle of view and reproducable color space quite impt. for monitors la. hahaha the rest of what refresh rate la clarity la, no use one... the source video chui you got these features also no use. if soccer is recorded with a mid~high speed camera like 1000+fps, then these will matter.

canon nikon canon nikon. i chose canon because at first most of my friends is canon, den can chare equipment. after a while i realise all my new photog friends carry nikon... zzz hahaha now i got more nikon friends than canon.

Hahahaha... I'm being sarcastic la...
I'm equating DSLR to LCD TV... Basically choosing between Canon and Nikon (for DSLR) is something like choosing between Samsung and Sony (LCD tv). There's no outright winner when taking all things into account (price, features, etc). That's the reason why both brands are selling well.
When you throw other brands into the usual C vs N mix (Sony, Pentax, Olympus, Panasonic, etc) the decision gets even more difficult.

I really don't know how to answer such questions from newbies.

Hi

Thanks & Regards
Gen

;)

If you search for Kris Krug Photography Tips, he addressed that question. What he said was basically to ask around your friends. Then go with brands which most of them use. That way you can share tips and equipment which can be useful. As of first or second hand, it is really up to you. It depends on how important warranty means to you.

There is no difference as long you stay with Canon or Nikon. Both companies spend big buck developing lens. But I Nikon over Canon. Nikon give me better build confidence and Canon does not have subdial. If are on budget I suggest going for Canon, Canon tend to cost lesser on similar spec lens and they do have other alternative like 70-200 f4

Back to topic, if i will you i choose second hand Nikon 5000. Do some research on buying senond hand camera and you are safe. Get a warranty is the best.

hello Gen. welcome! doesn't matter which camera u get.. just get one that feels right for u.

hahaha very funny...:cool:

DonnyDan said:
There is no difference as long you stay with Canon or Nikon. Both companies spend big buck developing lens. But I Nikon over Canon. Nikon give me better build confidence and Canon does not have subdial. If are on budget I suggest going for Canon, Canon tend to cost lesser on similar spec lens and they do have other alternative like 70-200 f4

Back to topic, if i will you i choose second hand Nikon 5000. Do some research on buying senond hand camera and you are safe. Get a warranty is the best.

You contradict yourself leh... You prefer Nikon over Canon because of the sub-dial (that's 1 of the reasons why I like D80 too), then you recommend a D5000, which DOES NOT have a sub-dial.

I confuse the matter further by telling TS that ANY of the DSLRs (from entry-level to pro) from ANY of the major brands (nikon, canon, sony, pentax, olympus, panasonic, fuji, etc) will be able to produce fantastic photos of doggies and dolls. I believe this to be the truth.

Thanks for all the advises, i came here cause I am really a camera dummy.....

I confuse the matter further by telling TS that ANY of the DSLRs (from entry-level to pro) from ANY of the major brands (nikon, canon, sony, pentax, olympus, panasonic, fuji, etc) will be able to produce fantastic photos of doggies and dolls. I believe this to be the truth.

I fully agree.

Also consider that some of those cameras come with live view and a tilting LCD screen, which can be a BIG help if you're shooting doggies running along the floor.

Gennie said:
Thanks for all the advises, i came here cause I am really a camera dummy.....
if you're a camera dummy... i do advice you to take a step back and consider if you REALLY need a DSLR instead of which brand or make.

the dslr is not a toy like most of the kids seen walking around these days. your shots can really turn out crappy if you dont know how to use it. and it is HEAVY and BULKY. Do you really want to bring that out all the time?

Instead i do recommend you pieces like the pro-sumer cameras like the canon G11 or other brands of similar make. Or go crazy with lomo on holga's or dianas~

Hi

Thanks & Regards
Gen

;)
why not write to the publications and ask what camera/setup was used in doggie photo shoots?

In my opinion, lighting is more important then the camera used when staged a shoot.

Even an old 300D will work well in a controlled environment.

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

good eample, but a newbies will always ask the question that surprise u :sweat::sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.