advise needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

tealeaves

Feb 16, 2009
hi guys. im came to noe CS from one of my colleagues and i muz say its v informative & a great place for both learnin n sharin.. i have the same prob as most of the newbies here as to which camera shd i pick.. initially wasnt lookin at dslr due to its price but right now im so hooked on to gettin one myself! hehe but prob is im really nt sure wat model shd i be gettin.. shd i base on my budget? or shd i be tinkin abt the resale value of the cam tt i'll be gettin? hmms. pls advise. ty! :D

Hello...welcome.

All electronics will not fetch very good resale price so just focus on what you can afford right now. There is no perfect system/cam. Just do some homework to see which are the functions you need most and go to the shops to have a feel of the cams you have shortlisted. The most important is to get the one you're most comfortable with as you're the one using it. What I like you may not like.

As I have mentioned many times that given today's advanced technology, all entry level cams are able to give you very nice pictures if you use them within their limits. Big names does not equate to the best cam and small players are not necessary not up to par with the bigger boys.

Here are a few you can consider and do some research on:

Nikon - D60/D90
Canon - 1000D/450D
Sony - A200 (no live view), A300/A350 (with live view)
Pentax - K200D
Olympus - E420/520
Panasonic - G1

Happy shopping. :)

Welcome

READ MORE
SHOOT more
Post more

Go do homework first. Have you used a DSLR before? There is gonna be a learning curve to it and if you're easily daunted, you may then drop it when faced with poor pics.

Dun forget the other costs which have to be factored in such as accessories, spares (memory cards, batts, etc) and tripods, flashes, etc....

And one MORE thing, go to the shops and handle the camera first, see which feels best in your hands.

best time to go try out at the IT show... but be prepared for the salesman to pressure you into buying...
they are afterall earning commissions...
try the different brands and get the one that suits you most.... :)

best time to go try out at the IT show... but be prepared for the salesman to pressure you into buying...
or Joke you to death...

ISO = Image Stabilisation Optimiser :sweatsm:

oo okie! tks for all the advises =) nope, i haf nt handled a dslr before n yes tml i'll be gg down IT show to haf a feel.. hehe.. yups, i realised the hidden cost lk gettin a tripod, dry box etc.. would those prosumer cameras be another alternative for mi? guess its down to my budget?

Get cheapest or get the best, don't get anything in the middle unless you know what exactly you're doing.

Nikon D40/D60, save the extra money from the D90 to buy flash/better lens/holiday.
Canon 5D Mark II is a nice FF camera.

hi guys. im came to noe CS from one of my colleagues and i muz say its v informative & a great place for both learnin n sharin.. i have the same prob as most of the newbies here as to which camera shd i pick.. initially wasnt lookin at dslr due to its price but right now im so hooked on to gettin one myself! hehe but prob is im really nt sure wat model shd i be gettin.. shd i base on my budget? or shd i be tinkin abt the resale value of the cam tt i'll be gettin? hmms. pls advise. ty! :D

DSLR Bodies have a very high depreciation rate... Choosing a model based on resale value is a nono. Choose the camera based on your liking since with technology most DSLRs have quite similar specs. I have however a few thing which i think you should pay attention to.

1) Nikon Models (entry levels): D40 and D60 requires lenses with inbuilt motor as compared to other nikon DSLR models. (foward and backward compatibility issues)

2) Some models of DSLR come with built in Image stabaliser/ vibration reduction therefore their lenses do not need to have the IS function (which usually means a premium). This might be helpful for first timers. A example of a DSLR body with stabilser would be one from Sony if i am not wrong.

3) Do remember to set aside money for cleaning cloth rocket blower and etc.

4) If possible, do not buy from the IT Show. they usually throw in alot of things you might not need (Rather you go to the reputable shops). However, if you prefer a hassle free solution, you can still buy from them.

5) Always look at you budget when buying. if you don't mind, there are quite alot of 2nd hand models in the bns forum that comes with warranty. Try your luck there as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Don't forget DSLR is not a 1 time purchase only, there be accessories and lenses which adds up to quite abit.

And remember, lenses are more important than bodies. Camera firmware, sensors and softwares get outdated in 2-3 years but good lenses will last for a really long time :D

hi guys! well i went down to it fair on its first dae n its damn crowded.. haha i mean wats w the crowd on a weekdae after lunch-time hour? haha tried my hands on the sony a300, canon 1000d and nikon d60.. well tink either a300 or canon ones would be the choice for mi coz sony does have the in-bulid stabiliser ting & canon's pretty light w their kit lens. but wun be gettin durin these few daes.. guess its better to read up more on dslr before disussin w my dad on which one to gt.. heex.. no choice ns boy plus still gt a long wae b4 ord.. but really thank u guys for ya replies and advises.. hope one dae can take photos as gd as u all.. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.